Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If you wrote a job description for a long term Linc McCarthy replacement, Kai Lohmann would tick every box.
I'm surprised his weaknesses never seem to include endurance or anything because his strengths make him sound like the prototypical impact mid.

If you wrote a job description for a long term Linc McCarthy replacement, Kai Lohmann would tick every box.

Paying

2 first rounders to replace someone we spent a junk pick getting. That’ll keep us at the top for sure

Now the critics of the selection get to wait a few years and cherry pick which ever slider goes on to be a great player, and claim that is who they would have selected instead.

So yes, there is a much more cushy and unaccountable position than AFL recruiter… armchair draft “pundit”.
But you are also discounting all of the experts that do watch a ton of footy and speak to a lot of people in the know that this kid wasn't rated that highly and possibly for good reason. Whats worst about this as Scoman pointed out is that we gave up a lot to get this pick and then we burn it as we could have just traded out our pick for a later pick and gotten something in return or not done that trade in the first place. Its just a cluster***k if you ask me.

A trade with Richmond would have been the go.

If teams want to trade up, your phone would be going mental. Didn’t look like any action was happening. And not just with us, but also other teams who took “bolters” before us.

People are speaking with such certainty in a complete absence of information.

If teams want to trade up, your phone would be going mental. Didn’t look like any action was happening.

People are speaking with such certainty in a complete absence of information.
I agree with that.

We're all speaking from the outside and from the outside it looks dumb.

So I'm sure there's more to it ,perhaps we'll hear more ,probably not.

Unfortunately our recruiters haven't improved since the dark days. You can't argue they have.

Are you ever happy with what the club does? Should they be running their prefered selections by you first?

I personally have been very happy with our picks in recent years.

Welcome to the club boys, happy to have you join us..:smilev1:

or not done that trade in the first place.
I'm pretty sure Melbourne said "no backsies" when we did the trade, otherwise sure, we should have known we'd be taking Kai twelve months later and changed our mind.

Taken a bit of time to think about the pick and have a few different thoughts on it. Not going to be nearly as negative on it as some have but I'm also not going to say our recruiters have had a great record of late because I think they've been pretty hit and miss.
The recruiters have done really well with our late picks and have hit on quite a few that many hadn't heard of before which is great but it does feel they can get a bit cute with our higher selections. Over the last few years our speculative picks early in the draft haven't worked out, when we take the simple option it feels like we have quite a good strike rate.
Onto our selections, Wilmot I liked at 20 and looking at the way the draft turned out with the talent still on the board I don't mind getting him at 16, think he'll be a really solid addition to the defense however I don't see too much midfield potential there, obviously could be wrong.
With Lohmann I feel like we've really tried to be too smart with it, even if he's a good med forward/mid it's still hard to see how he cracks the team. Feels like we've already got his position covered in the AFL with Rayner, Bailey and McCarthy, then in the VFL we've already got Cockatoo, T. Berry and B. Coleman, we've also got Ashcroft, Fletcher and McMillian next season who all will most likely start on a flank.
Having quickly had a listen to Lohmann talk in interviews he seems like a great fella and good character off the field so it wouldn't surprise me if that has played (IMO) too big a role in his selection.
The players still on the board is what has really thrown me off, both Goater and Johnson give us something we don't have and have had trouble with in the past, big bodied mids. Johnson is much classier than most big mids and is something we don't have for the now or the future, Goater is much more athletic and explosive than most other big mids and is also something we don't have.
Overall just a confusing draft for me, on the one hand we played it pretty safe with Wilmot, on the other hand we've taken a massive swing with Lohmann when there are better high upside options in better positions still on the board. Hope we are able to trade up overnight and still get our big bodied mid with a difference.

At the end of the day these boys are now part of the club and I hope they go on to have great career's and prove a few wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A trade with Richmond would have been the go.

Not according to Toomey.
He stated in his first round wrap up, "that Hawthorn (Picks 21 & 24) were into Lohmann, as were a couple of other clubs early in 2nd round".
Given that, if we wanted him it was 18 or not at all.

I mean if we selected someone like Lohmann's ability at 20 (no offence), I think that makes me a massive chance to be selected for us at our third pick even though I haven't played competitive AFL in ages and haven't sent a draft nomination in but still, make it happen boys :p

I literally cringed reading this. Just letting you know.

Last edited:
Not according to Toomey.
He stated in his first round wrap up, "that Hawthorn (Picks 21 & 24) were into Lohmann, as were a couple of other clubs early in 2nd round".
Given that, if we wanted him it was 18 or not at all.

Well, well, well…

Are you ever happy with what the club does? Should they be running their prefered selections by you first?

I personally have been very happy with our picks in recent years.

Welcome to the club boys, happy to have you join us..:smilev1:

Which pick in the last 3 years do you believe we’ll get a decent return on?

I agree with that.

But we have been making a habit of it over the last couple of years. Other teams are moving around the draft order with agility to suit what they want to do. We are not.

I agree with that.

Not dumb from my point of view. Both kids sound exciting additions to our list. Who wants to be predictable?

Models his game on Isaac Heeney supposedly.
LOL, so what. I could say I model my game on the Bont doesn't mean anything does it. It was laughable on the coverage when they showed who Lohman plays like and it was some Dogs player I hadn't even heard of, here I am thinking, great, what a steal at pick 20 it was getting this kid lol

Really excited about our two picks. We've brought in two guys that have speed and actually use it, are good over head and are hard at it. Both seem like great lads too.

Johnson and Goater slid for a reason. Happy to back out recruiters in.

On a side note, some of Knightmare's 'reaches' in his power rankings are looking ok atm.

LOL, so what. I could say I model my game on the Bont doesn't mean anything does it. It was laughable on the coverage when they showed who Lohman plays like and it was some Dogs player I hadn't even heard of, here I am thinking, great, what a steal at pick 20 it was getting this kid lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back