Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lock in Van Rooyen if he’s still on board at our first pick. Scroll to end to see who voted for which kids.

Lock in Van Rooyen if he’s still on board at our first pick. Scroll to end to see who voted for which kids.

I'm still split between Bazzo and Van Rooyen. JVR probably the smarter pick as he's shown he can do it up forward and looks a little bit safer with a strong build and more league ready style. Bazzo really intrigues me with all his tools and if put together he could be a Ridley/Sicily type which could be huge.

14a. Josh Goater.
14b. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera.

Watching Coleman tonight, I’m starting to lean towards NWM. Would be good to have a couple of silk players.

18a. Rhett Bazzo.
18b. Jacob Van Rooyen.

Agreed, I'm also starting to think we should grab Van Rooyen at our first. He could be the third tall either in forward line or back and build depth for us until Hipwood's return. Could swap with Andrews even and gain experience on both ends. Kind of hoping Van Rooyen becomes our quality key position next wave selection.

Agreed, I'm also starting to think we should grab Van Rooyen at our first. He could be the third tall either in forward line or back and build depth for us until Hipwood's return. Could swap with Andrews even and gain experience on both ends. Kind of hoping Van Rooyen becomes our quality key position next wave selection.
Can he do a bit of rucking? Maybe he could be that prototype player where tghey can they all positions, would also suit us as none of McStay, Hippy or Danniher (he can't really) can adequatly play ruck

Can he do a bit of rucking? Maybe he could be that prototype player where tghey can they all positions, would also suit us as none of McStay, Hippy or Danniher (he can't really) can adequatly play ruck

Not sure about ruck, I still hope we have H.Smith ready by next year (or) Fullarton with one more preseason and more muscle (or) get Ceglar from Hawks.

Not a ruck option.

I am hoping one of Lane or Smith is payable next year after a full preseason under their belt.

Feels like he’s more than likely gone by our picks with both WA teams needing talls

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually didn’t mind Arnold who played as a top up for us toward the end of the year. He would be a very late / rookie option who could develop into a solid KPD for us.

He's a bit older isn't he?

Must be a deep draft if players like Wanganeen-Milera and Van Rooyen could be available at pick 14
Draft watchers have been saying that since the 2019 U16 Championships.

Bit of consensus that next year’s draft will also be deep, with a few quality KPF’s and rucks to go along with the mids.

Feels like he’s more than likely gone by our picks with both WA teams needing talls
Amiss is probably ahead of him on many clubs' boards, however. Both those teams need to replenish their midfields, also.
If they go best available for first round, he should be there. Let's see.
West Coast fans are almost unanimous in wanting a mid at their first pick. A lot like Johnson.

Fremantle fans want a tall forward at theirs. If Cerra goes to Carlton or Richmond, and Fremantle get their first round pick as well, you could almost lock in Erasmus at Fremantle’s first and Amiss at the their next pick.

Personally I’d be really happy with the WA teams going local kids.

The spanner might be Adelaide or Hawthorn, if one of them go best available and select Erasmus.

Last edited:
Thoughts on Jack Briskey has he improved on last season to be considered this year

No he didn’t not show anything to suggest he was draft worthy. Just beaten too much.

The only academy player I might consider this year is Reville. He showed glimpses throughout but had one fantastic game when he got it all together and was our BOG. He has the tools and after that game I could maybe convince myself that he is worth a punt.

No he didn’t not show anything to suggest he was draft worthy. Just beaten too much.

The only academy player I might consider this year is Reville. He showed glimpses throughout but had one fantastic game when he got it all together and was our BOG. He has the tools and after that game I could maybe convince myself that he is worth a punt.
I think I remember the game kicked 5 in the VFL against the Suns wasn’t it?

Yeah both he and Tasker had 5. Tasker one I liked quite a lot early but dropped away after being stuck more up forward in a well beaten side. He could be a chance perhaps as well.

It’s hard to see us taking an academy player this year to be honest, with limited picks likely and no player screaming out to be picked. In all honesty I think Kiddy was the last player from the academy that looked like one we wouldn’t have wanted to let go. Since then we have taken them as speculative choices in the absence of anyone jumping out of the draft who seemed better. BlakeC and CarterM might end up OK in time but I don’t think we would have kicked ourselves if we missed them.

This year only Bruce and Tasker look particularly close to draftable. Abberley doesn’t seem to have any exceptional traits but he might be at least considered. I don’t know any of the tall academy players well but they would be a roll of the dice that I can’t see the club taking.

I do wonder if Bruce could play off the halfback line? That might up his value a little.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back