Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Right, thank god that trade crap is over. For all those who knock us draft followers then this is our time and you can go stick it, woot woot. So happy to have kept the two picks. Understandably they’ll slide back 2 spots but I believe that the two we bring in will add to our list in a few years. The club have done fairly well with those top picks and believe that they’ll do it again.

Just a guess but I think
Saints;Sinn
Eagles: Johnson
Essendon: Rachele
Power; NWM
Giants; Chesser
Any chance GWS pick up Sonsie now in prep for losing Hill next year? They will have Callaghan to play a running back role to start with won't they?

Any chance GWS pick up Sonsie now in prep for losing Hill next year? They will have Callaghan to play a running back role to start with won't they?
Not quite the same player, if Rachelle is available I think that's most likely although Twomey was saying he's unlikely to fall that far. Mac Andrew is another one they've been linked to with their first pick which would seem like a bit of a reach so if they could get him here I'm sure they would.

I feel they go Andrew at 2 with them not getting Lobb and only having Hogan and Himmelberg forward they could always trade down to Hawks pick 6 and probably get Andrew there

I feel they go Andrew at 2 with them not getting Lobb and only having Hogan and Himmelberg forward they could always trade down to Hawks pick 6 and probably get Andrew there
They would probably like to trade back a couple of picks if they’re set on Mac Andrew. See if anyone wants to pay up for Callaghan.

Probably the same with Gold Coast if the do want Gibcus, instead of going another mid.

Here’s a phantom draft from eDPS of AFL Draft Central after today’s trade period.View attachment 1259946View attachment 1259950
I hope who ever calls out the the top 25 or so names on draft night calls the surname first but unlikely

This lists has 5 Christian names of Josh and 1 of Joshua in the top 25
They (Josh & Joshua) will all be a bit jittery anyhow but that will add a little to the nerves

I hope who ever calls out the the top 25 or so names on draft night calls the surname first but unlikely

This lists has 5 Christian names of Josh and 1 of Joshua in the top 25
They (Josh & Joshua) will all be a bit jittery anyhow but that will add a little to the nerves
If they call a Josh/ua out at our first pick, we’re getting a good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just watched his highlight video. Moves a bit like Pendles, looks very handy. I wouldn't be disappointed to have him on board.
One thing the highlight video didn't show is his marking around the ground which is very good for a midfielder, really nice skills on both sides of the body and while not explosive looks to push from contest to contest well.

One thing the highlight video didn't show is his marking around the ground which is very good for a midfielder, really nice skills on both sides of the body and while not explosive looks to push from contest to contest well.
The WA clubs might be the biggest hurdle. Just looks like a natural footballer. Can't have too many of them on your list.

Of the four selections there, only Banks plays outside and has speed. But he’s not in the genuinely fast category that Chesser, or especially Sinn possess.

Of the four selections there, only Banks plays outside and has speed. But he’s not in the genuinely fast category that Chesser, or especially Sinn possess.
Do you believe genuine speed is the thing we need? Or could it be just the ability to run both ways? Or quick thinking and the skills to pull a dangerous kick off?
For example if we had Coleman or Madden with the ball on a quick turnover from halfback I'd rather the ball in Coleman's hands as I believe he'd be able to break a defence down quicker and more effectively than Madden.

Do you believe genuine speed is the thing we need? Or could it be just the ability to run both ways? Or quick thinking and the skills to pull a dangerous kick off?
For example if we had Coleman or Madden with the ball on a quick turnover from halfback I'd rather the ball in Coleman's hands as I believe he'd be able to break a defence down quicker and more effectively than Madden.
I’d rather have Sinn and Coleman.

Sinn has the potential to move in to the midfield in time.

Sinn was the player I wanted at the beginning of the season, as I viewed him as a long term Rich replacement.

Giving us Sinn, Coleman and Prior who can all run and kick out of defence. They can all defend. Add in Starcevich in the lockdown role, and we’re set for small/medium defenders for the next decade. Adding in Answerth and Madden as depth.

Sinn was the player I wanted at the beginning of the season, as I viewed him as a long term Rich replacement.

Giving us Sinn, Coleman and Prior who can all run and kick out of defence. They can all defend. Add in Starcevich in the lockdown role, and we’re set for small/medium defenders for the next decade. Adding in Answerth and Madden as depth.
Fair enough, I do really like Josh Sinn as a player but I do have some small question marks over his kicking and decision making consistency, especially when rebounding is his biggest strength. Seems to be really a high quality character from all reports so I don’t think it’s anything that’ll hold him back from being a good player.

Sinn was rated top 5 before the season but injured most of the season and than Covid

Wonder if clubs have gotten smarter this year with regards to trading up for the first pick of the second round, and will be planning in advance to try and get the slider earlier by trading into one of the last picks in the first round on the first day.

Pick 41 opens up a few things that might not have been available before the Fort trade. Obviously the pick has more points attached to it so better for trading but also there should be a few nice players there. Sam Banks and Ronald Fejo Jr are two outside classy wing/half-back options if we take a KPP with our first picks. Leek Aleer and Jack Williams are two KPP that offer different things as players that could compliment a draft with two mids in the first round. A very small part of a small trade but a pick upgrade in the 3rd round has opened a few options which is nice.
Some talk that Williams won't make it at AFL level due to his work ethic. At 41 I wouldn't mind taking a chance on this fellow instead:

Wonder if clubs have gotten smarter this year with regards to trading up for the first pick of the second round, and will be planning in advance to try and get the slider earlier by trading into one of the last picks in the first round on the first day.
That feels like the next evolution. If the first pick in the second round becomes so desirable that it is overvalued, then the last pick in the first round might be a better target for teams trying to trade up.

What would we want from a trade though?Multiple second round picks aren't of value to us with list space issues. Maybe more future selections to help with points - that would be pretty boring!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back