Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would it? Adams would have just hit 30 and Gardiner would still be 28. I don't know why people are so keen to throw them both onto the scrapheap.
This’ll probably be my last post about the Gardiner stuff because I don’t want to go too hard on it but my argument has never been that Gardiner is a bad player or that he should be thrown to the scrapheap, it’s been that the style of Gardiner isn’t what I’d prefer as a 3rd tall, I’d rather have a more intercept/rebounding type of player. The Adams/Payne debate doesn’t really bother me as they’d both have a similar role and it’s just up to whoever performs it better.

If Adams moves to cover third tall forwards, then we'll need another KPD for depth, and should stay well away from third tall defender types like Bazzo because we'll already be set there.
Bazzo could easily play on first or second tall forward as well. It’s just his use of the ball by foot also allows him to be a good rebounder of the football, not having to hand it off to a small defender.

Draft watcher eDPS has released his latest tier rankings. Annoyingly, there are only 13 players in his top three categories in the open pool. However, this does not include Matthew Johnson. We can hope Fremantle or West Coast really want Amiss, also.

That's a surprise.
Granted it's one game video highlights on youtube but Johnson moves so well.
I watched the Josh Goater highlights. I hope he was just having a rough day because his disposal looked atrocious. I liked the comment on the main draft board, he kicks like a midfield version of Sam Frost.

That's a surprise.
I watched the Josh Goater highlights. I hope he was just having a rough day because his disposal looked atrocious. I liked the comment on the main draft board, he kicks like a midfield version of Sam Frost.
Would love Johnson but West Coast will likely take him.
Freo probably take Andrew and Erasmus so that leaves Amiss or Johnson for West Coast if they want to go local.

Would love Johnson but West Coast will likely take him.
Freo probably take Andrew and Erasmus so that leaves Amiss or Johnson for West Coast if they want to go local.
That's my biggest worry. Surely he doesn't get out of WA at worst.

That's a surprise.
As mentioned on the draft board.

That wasn’t highlights of Goater. That was his every involvement in one game, VIC Metro versus VIC Country. That’s how recruiters cut up game vision of each kid involved in a game.

When I have time, I’ll find the quote from the draft board that explains it better.

Last edited:
The last person that did initiated a death ride assisted the Melbourne Football club to a premiership.

I'm relatively confident the consequences are substantially reduced when it's a third round pick death ride.

They'll probably do better than expected next year, but still lose to us in the Grand Final

;)

Am I doing this right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a surprise.
Yeah have really liked Johnson for a while now, was surprising seeing him drop to late first round a couple months ago. My take on Goater is that he looked a bit rushed in that game and I noticed he almost felt forced to give the ball by hand in a couple situations where Daicos was running past in a bad position to receive. I can't really spot anything wrong with his kicking action and it looks pretty compact so I'd suspect once the game slows down for him and he can take a couple of settling steps after he's exploded from a pack it'll help his disposal a lot, he also makes good decision's by hand in traffic so I don't believe decision making is an issue for him. I haven't seen any games of him across half-back but the draft watchers thought his disposal was reasonable enough back there. So overall I don't have many concerns about his ball use long-term and he has really elite traits in other area's that can't be taught.

Yeah have really liked Johnson for a while now, was surprising seeing him drop to late first round a couple months ago. My take on Goater is that he looked a bit rushed in that game and I noticed he almost felt forced to give the ball by hand in a couple situations where Daicos was running past in a bad position to receive. I can't really spot anything wrong with his kicking action and it looks pretty compact so I'd suspect once the game slows down for him and he can take a couple of settling steps after he's exploded from a pack it'll help his disposal a lot, he also makes good decision's by hand in traffic so I don't believe decision making is an issue for him. I haven't seen any games of him across half-back but the draft watchers thought his disposal was reasonable enough back there. So overall I don't have many concerns about his ball use long-term and he has really elite traits in other area's that can't be taught.
All great points. I understand how footage from one game doesn't define a kid. I learnt that after watching the highlights for Call Bartlett.
I'm sure the kid will be work hard and give himself every shot.
I just find it interesting how these kids can put into these groups off so little footy.

All great points. I understand how footage from one game doesn't define a kid. I learnt that after watching the highlights for Call Bartlett.
I'm sure the kid will be work hard and give himself every shot.
I just find it interesting how these kids can put into these groups off so little footy.
Yeah there's people that have watched them a lot longer than I have but I'm sure he would've flashed speed and agility from a young age, as to working hard he interviews pretty well and I believe he was captain of his NAB league team, that may be incorrect though.

Would it? Adams would have just hit 30 and Gardiner would still be 28. I don't know why people are so keen to throw them both onto the scrapheap.

I’m not suggesting we take Bazzo and he probably ain’t who I’d be looking at this year. But there has to be some worry about the injury troubles
of Gardiner and Adams. Both fantastic players, but we need to be prepared.

The last person that initiated a death ride assisted the Melbourne Football club to a premiership.
I'm creating an "Operation Death Ride 3rd rounder" thread as we speak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back