Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I challenge you to back the club's selections in whoever they choose. Focus on the positives even if they're not your player!*

* Unless it's another Billy Longer. Cooked.
It’s not about “my” player. I don’t expect them to still be on board by our first selection.

It’s more about comments made by Steve Conole in the past about how club needs can heavily influence what the club perceive as the best available talent available.

I challenge you to back the club's selections in whoever they choose. Focus on the positives even if they're not your player!*

* Unless it's another Billy Longer. Cooked.

But the Veruca Salt (not the band) episodes are the best part about the draft & have been for years. Please don’t take them from me.

Bonus this year there is a tinge of it a week before the event. I feel spoilt.:p

The guys at Rookie Me (formally Draft Central) ran through a full mock draft (with extended picks).

For Brisbane’s picks, the selector (Pete Williams) went best available at each selection, so didn’t really fill any club needs.

What I found interesting is where the KPP’s were selected. For me, it looked like each of the selectors went with KPP’s at the end/beginning of each of the talent tiers, taking KPP’s earlier than where they ranked them, because they said the KPP’s wouldn’t be available later, but for almost all other picks the selectors went with best available talent rather than needs, until picks in the 50’s.

IMO it is very clear, since Fages and his team have been in charge and our recovery from a basket case to genuine contenders is the type of player we keep on the list. Clear as daylight, the player has to possess "Contested Ball skills."
Players that were unable to address this skill have found themselves delisted or traded away. Cox, Witherden etc...
Chesser's reported weakness is his contested ball. Now, our football department may think he could develop that, but why waste a high draft pick when there are other choices with that particular strength already ingrained in their skill set.
Also I don' believe the hype that we need a running half back just because Birchall has retired. We have that area covered on the list. I think we would be looking at best available and Chesser is not, at our picks.
I actually think Chesser will be the best available at our first pick based on how I reckon it will pan out. His competitiveness is fine and he has the character/ leadership qualities we look for in players. He has been playing mainly wing and half back too where at junior level won’t require him to be a contested beast. Sandy also very dominant team at that level. Granted it may be an area he needs to work on but I think if we got Wilmot at the second pick we have done well in picking up two different types of rebounders with chesser having good scope to play wing and potentially mid. Wilmot being a better shut down player that can also provide drive

I still reckon Hammelman is worth redrafting. with either a late pick or rookie. Cover for Hipwood. The guy has a amazing goalkicking record. Think Podsiadly, he became a premiership player.

Impossible. He didn’t nominate for the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not going to point fingers.

(It was briztoon )
Just posted the link and comment from the draft board.

I wouldn’t have have known as I haven’t looked at the list, but someone on the draft board pointed neither Hammelmann or Schlensog was on the HS list, so I mentioned that here, as I thought it surprising as well.

But go ahead jackess keep throwing those little cheap shots.

Regarding Hammelman. i don't know if he has or has not. Also possibly another pathway for him but i don't know that either
However this short copy and past (Ha's to Ho's) from the main board that has nominations in alphabetical order
Link

AFL national draft 2021: more than 700 players have nominated ahead of today’s deadline
Former AFL stars hoping for a fresh start, top players from Victoria’s regional leagues and local footballers are among the list of nominees for the national draft. This is every name aiming for a shot at the big time.

12 min read
November 17, 2021 - 6:00AM
Leader

Paul Haasbroek, Eastern Ranges
Keanu Haddow, East Fremantle
Max Hall, Eastern Ranges
Mitchell Hallinan, Bendigo Pioneers
Jackson Hamann, Surfers Paradise AFC
Matthew Hamblin, Ganmain GGM, Riverina Football League
Cooper Hamilton, Bendigo Pioneers
Hugh Hamilton, Bendigo Pioneers
Matt Hanson, Werribee Football Club
Kaden Harbour, East Perth
Declan Hardisty, Claremont
Matthew Harms, Sandringham Dragons
Austin Harris, Broadbeach AFC
Cody Harrison, Mt Gravatt AFC
Harvey Harrison, North Adelaide
Fletcher Hart, Murray Bushrangers
Mitchell Harvey, Dandenong Stingrays
Angus Hay, South Barwon
Jaxon Hayden, WAFL Colts, CFC
Jack Hayes, Eagles
Lachlan Hayes, South Adelaide
Liam Hayes, Sandringham Dragons
Adam Heath, North Adelaide
Bailey Henderson, Richmond
Darby Henderson, Williamstown
Marcus Herbert, Greater Western Victoria Rebels
Jack Hickman, Bendigo Pioneers
Liam Hickmott, Subiaco
Dyson Hilder, North Adelaide
Darby Hipwell, Sandringham Dragons
Benjamin Hobbs, Greater Western Victoria Rebels

Angry looking players didn't work out(sorry Ely) so back to six packs?

Most of my draft selections are rig or attitude based. It's why I'm one of the best draft watchers on this site

Any interest in Jack Williams at our last pick if he's still available? What do the draft watchers here think of him? Kicked 40 goals in 15 games at U18 level in WA. Seems quite versatile, fwd/ruck/ happy to play back, has based his game on Oscar Allen I've read. Good size, good hands, good run in him. Is the youngest of the talls in the draft I think, that may be a negative in some eyes.

From the Afl sites full list of draft nominees Cooper Hamilton, Bendigo Pioneers
Hugh Hamilton, Bendigo Pioneers
Matthew Hammelmann, Aspley
Oliver Hanrahan, Hawthorn
Just know we were stuffed when Mcstay went down. We still don't have any cover. Hammelman would be handy

On SM-A217F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back