Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not about “my” player. I don’t expect them to still be on board by our first selection.

It’s more about comments made by Steve Conole in the past about how club needs can heavily influence what the club perceive as the best available talent available.
In the game of pre-draft "cat & mouse" isn't Steve just doing what every other recruiter does - same motherhood statements from all 18 clubs?

Any interest in Jack Williams at our last pick if he's still available? What do the draft watchers here think of him? Kicked 40 goals in 15 games at U18 level in WA. Seems quite versatile, fwd/ruck/ happy to play back, has based his game on Oscar Allen I've read. Good size, good hands, good run in him. Is the youngest of the talls in the draft I think, that may be a negative in some eyes.
I doubt he'd be there but it's a yes for me. I'd take him anywhere from about 25 on. A mid, a flanker and Williams would be my perfect draft but I think Williams will be taken earlier.

From the Afl sites full list of draft nominees Cooper Hamilton, Bendigo Pioneers
Hugh Hamilton, Bendigo Pioneers
Matthew Hammelmann, Aspley
Oliver Hanrahan, Hawthorn
Just know we were stuffed when Mcstay went down. We still don't have any cover. Hammelman would be handy

On SM-A217F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We've brought Darcy Fort in to add to the depth as well, you'd imagine we'll have 3 of Fort, Fullarton, Smith and Lane playing in the reserves which is decent cover for a key forward/ruck. Hipwood also hopefully back around mid-year, McFayden and Rayner could probably be third tall forwards in a pinch.

In the game of pre-draft "cat & mouse" isn't Steve just doing what every other recruiter does - same motherhood statements from all 18 clubs?
These weren’t recent comments. More general discussion about recruitment philosophy, how Brisbane goes about it.

But Steve is very good at going with blanket statements at this time of year and not giving anything away.

These weren’t recent comments. More general discussion about recruitment philosophy, how Brisbane goes about it.

But Steve is very good at going with blanket statements at this time of year and not giving anything away.
So how does his philosophy differ markedly from your own?

Any interest in Jack Williams at our last pick if he's still available? What do the draft watchers here think of him? Kicked 40 goals in 15 games at U18 level in WA. Seems quite versatile, fwd/ruck/ happy to play back, has based his game on Oscar Allen I've read. Good size, good hands, good run in him. Is the youngest of the talls in the draft I think, that may be a negative in some eyes.
Not much from me.

KPP’s at both ends of the ground are getting taller and more athletic. If I’m looking at a draftee, my first question usually is, does x player look like he has the size and athleticism and aggression of McStay up forward, or better athleticism and aggression and football ability of Gardiner down back.

KPP’s who tick the boxes for me in this draft are, Gibcus, Andrew and Bazzo.

JVR is line ball as a Gardiner like for like for me.

It’s just that I rate a lot of the smaller players higher than JVR and Bazzo in our range. But expect teams to go early on the KPP’s in this draft, because it’s a very small pool of quality KPP’s.

So how does his philosophy differ markedly from your own?
Gees, I don’t want to go there, because the club has much better knowledge of the kids than any draft watcher could.

I believe the main differences between the draft watchers on the draft board, and club recruiters are that draft watchers only have the games to base their lists on, so they are giving rankings purely on the talent they see on the field.

Clubs/the AFL have psychological tests, medical assessments, biometric measurements, do background checks and teacher/coaches interviews, etc.

So clubs have a much better picture of the kids and how they might project in to the future. Work ethic, personality, white line fever or aggression on the field, etc.

Many clubs also have their own “brand” or type of kid they look for, while other clubs back their culture to bring in any type of kid and get the best out of them.

We've brought Darcy Fort in to add to the depth as well, you'd imagine we'll have 3 of Fort, Fullarton, Smith and Lane playing in the reserves which is decent cover for a key forward/ruck. Hipwood also hopefully back around mid-year, McFayden and Rayner could probably be third tall forwards in a pinch.
None of them kick goals like Hammelman

None of those guys would be expected to kick goals if they came into the team, same with Hammelman. If we're being honest he may well be a better option than those guys but is he that much better to warrant selecting if he's not best available and in a position we're reasonably stocked for.

I doubt he'd be there but it's a yes for me. I'd take him anywhere from about 25 on. A mid, a flanker and Williams would be my perfect draft but I think Williams will be taken earlier.

He is an interesting case. Started quite high on most people's rankings and has progressively slipped down the order, so it is not inconceivable that Williams may be available at our third round pick, which should become late second.

If we don’t take a KP player with our top two picks I am all for drafting a versatile tall such as Williams with our third. However I believe JVR will be the club’s choice at 16 if he is available. Nothing conclusive just a gut feel that’s how we will go.

From the Afl sites full list of draft nominees Cooper Hamilton, Bendigo Pioneers
Hugh Hamilton, Bendigo Pioneers
Matthew Hammelmann, Aspley
Oliver Hanrahan, Hawthorn
Just know we were stuffed when Mcstay went down. We still don't have any cover. Hammelman would be handy

On SM-A217F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Now we have Buzza, do we need both?

He is an interesting case. Started quite high on most people's rankings and has progressively slipped down the order, so it is not inconceivable that Williams may be available at our third round pick, which should become late second.

If we don’t take a KP player with our top two picks I am all for drafting a versatile tall such as Williams with our third. However I believe JVR will be the club’s choice at 16 if he is available. Nothing conclusive just a gut feel that’s how we will go.
I’ve mentioned it before, I believe our third pick will pretty much stay where it is in the draft order, and the few full mock drafts that are out there have seen it stay there, give or take one spot up or one spot back.

On the bolded bit, I agree. If he’s still on board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now we have Buzza, do we need both?
One is on our VFL list, the other is in discussion to be drafted at our third pick.

If you’re talking about having both on our VFL list, there’s no rule saying we have to play both.

If we have a relatively healthy list, a few of our VFL top ups won’t be required, and will likely play for their QAFL team.

If Ashcroft was available to take this year where would he go in the draft ? How good a year did he have ?
Would be in the top group I'd imagine, maybe just behind JHF and Daicos but I'd have him in the top 3 with those guys. Obviously he didn't get to play too much like most the Vic kids but when he was able to he was elite. Really hoping we can get him in for a few VFL games next season which could really bump him up.

Gees, I don’t want to go there, because the club has much better knowledge of the kids than any draft watcher could.

I believe the main differences between the draft watchers on the draft board, and club recruiters are that draft watchers only have the games to base their lists on, so they are giving rankings purely on the talent they see on the field.

Clubs/the AFL have psychological tests, medical assessments, biometric measurements, do background checks and teacher/coaches interviews, etc.

So clubs have a much better picture of the kids and how they might project in to the future. Work ethic, personality, white line fever or aggression on the field, etc.

Many clubs also have their own “brand” or type of kid they look for, while other clubs back their culture to bring in any type of kid and get the best out of them.
Interesting - do you think we have a "brand" of player we like to draft?

Do you mean bump him up in the draft? Because if so, why would we want that?
Not necessarily bump him up the draft but to bump him up into that elite tier of prospect if he isn't already. If he could be so good it's not even a question he's number 1 then I'm not complaining.

So the 2 goals in his 12 AFL games seemed to have convinced a few.

I know his record in the VFL has been fantastic & some take longer to develop but his exposed AFL form was poor & disappointing. Unfortunately at the top level he struggled to take an overhead mark & at that height as a permanent forward that must be a mainstay.

It’s certainly an interesting one, but are some of the expectations a touch over the top?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back