Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone justify the need to spend an early pick on a small forward?

Interesting to listen to Fages post draft - he said that Wilmot and Lohmann were the two priorities tonight.
He said that we selected players 'that are both fast & athletic, fulfill the needs of the footy club and that are going to help us'.

Went to the Lions draft night function at the Gabba tonight.

We had Darcy Wilmot rated at 11 and Kai Lohmann at 14, we got exactly who the recruiters wanted.
Good clubs just get things done. Glad we didn't try to be fancy with pick swaps and all that s**t. If we rate someone at 14 and we have pick 20... why take the control out of our hands? Just.Get.It.Done. Glad we aren't a rabble of a club that goes off internet ratings.

Ok, just read an article in Ballarat Courier re the boys up for draft from St Pats there.....The director of footy had huge wraps on Lohmann, said whoever takes him will get lots of excitement from him for years to come. Also said he had very high footy I.Q......got a bit technical and I can't remember it all but that was the gist of it..

Happy with that.

There isn’t a pick exchange where you can trade picks for any other combination of picks. Other clubs actually need to be looking to move up. There appeared to be no action on the phones at our pick or the few picks before hand.

Most of the trades are relatively inconsequential shuffling of later picks.

Clubs making the strategic jump up the order to snap up a shock slider are relatively rare. We are in fact one of the few to do so.
There was quite a bit of negotiating going on but nothing coming to anything that The Lions wanted to agree to other than to do what they did. Suffice to say, our club is pleased with their selections thus far in the draft.

Fairly disappointing night all round. Way too much of the telecast had elapsed before we even made our first pick. Would prefer that we are making picks in the first 30 minutes of the telecast so I can turn the tv off shortly after.

I quite like that our recruiters have a clear strategy and execute it. The comments of one or two in here are genuinely embarrassing, imagine letting a random draw ruin the picnic 🤡

Two days before the Draft Twomey said this:
Brisbane's business will mainly be done early, with the Lions set to have only one more pick after their pair of first-round selections. If sharp goalkicker Kai Lohmann happened to be on the board at their third pick he would be a consideration, while Eamon Wilkinson, a small forward who they considered at the mid-season rookie draft, has also garnered some interest. Bryce Watson is a medium defender who could be within a shot late, as may Jamieson Ballantyne, a taller wingman from the Greater Western Victoria Rebels.

Getting upset about not picking from a select group of young kids because you’ve convinced yourself we need to on back of what is largely amateur speculation because “tHaT’s wHo iS tHe NeXt bEsT pLaYeR aVaiLabLe” is comical.

Players who people have likely never seen play live let alone multiple games over 2-3 years, never interviewed or been privy to an interview featuring them.

Most likely are unsure what they even look like and I’m almost certain wouldn’t of even heard of until probably a month ago, maybe less.

Dearie me.

Went to the Lions draft night function at the Gabba tonight.

We had Darcy Wilmot rated at 11 and Kai Lohmann at 14, we got exactly who the recruiters wanted.
I've seen Lohmann play and he reminds me of Patrick Dangerfield... Lots of pace, hard at it and can stand up in tackles. Not the best kick but will make things happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting upset about not picking from a select group of young kids because you’ve convinced yourself we need to on back of what is largely amateur speculation because “tHaT’s wHo iS tHe NeXt bEsT pLaYeR aVaiLabLe” is comical.

Players who people have likely never seen play live let alone multiple games over 2-3 years, never interviewed or been privy to an interview featuring them.

Most likely are unsure what they even look like and I’m almost certain wouldn’t of even heard of until probably a month ago, maybe less.

Dearie me.
a 2 minute highlight video is all you need to be an expert mate. Didn't you know?

I'm happy with the picks. Stoked even.

Can anyone justify the need to spend an early pick on a small forward?

Calm your farm mate. We didn't pick Lohman as a small forward. Lots of scope for growth and a genuine high half forward/wing potential.

Genuinely man, take a breather.

Wilmont highlight reel had a run where he just sliced and diced through the defence looks an absolute beauty . Having someone who can run and carry and also shut down makes you absolutely critical . Can see him and kosi Pickett having some great tussles over the year . Pace is also what we have cried out for and with Wilmont and even madden we now have plenty of that . Kai looks a bit more of a Smokey but happy to back recruiters in . Has good athletics attributes and mercurial skills so plenty of upside : remember we have a young midfield potentially of Rayner , clugga , Berry , Bailey , Robertson , sharp , and young Ashcroft still to come next year . Starcevich May also be added to that mix . Johnson May of been a nice addition to have that mix but we will see how it all unfolds .

Calm your farm mate. We didn't pick Lohman as a small forward. Lots of scope for growth and a genuine high half forward/wing potential.

Genuinely man, take a breather.

That’s still an issue and a huge risk. I don’t think we’re in a position to do this given we’ve added bugger all talent in the last 3 drafts. Picking someone who hasn’t even performed a role well at under 18 level and expecting him to develop there instead of drafting someone who did play that role reasonably well is a big gamble

We wont be taking an inside mid tomorrow night, the club says we have enough.... inside is covered, Joyce was let go reluctantly as they still rated him.
Hopefully the arrival of Ashcroft next year can at least help mend that gap in our midfield for 2023+ but it's a mighty shame for Joyce cause I think all of us on here believed the kid could have been a good player for us in the future, but given list spots and everything else that happened, he was sadly a unlucky player that had to be delisted at our club this year.

The other thing to remember is that this year was Covid affected, it is a totally understandable time to go against the grain. Both kids sound great and to have a dude who would have been possibly a first pick of the year after if he was born slightly later is an amazing result. The second guy seems to also have massive upside and that is cool with me.

That’s still an issue and a huge risk. I don’t think we’re in a position to do this given we’ve added bugger all talent in the last 3 drafts. Picking someone who hasn’t even performed a role well at under 18 level and expecting him to develop there instead of drafting someone who did play that role reasonably well is a big gamble

How much Footage have you seen of Kai? Watched any of his games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back