Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I certainly don't feel as strongly as jackess however I see the guys you've named as having higher upsides while having similar or less risk than Lohmann. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the recruiters but there is some good talent they've passed on. Not saying I know more than the club but this will be an interesting draft to look back on for us.

A perfectly reasonable stance to have. In the end we're all fans, not experts. If I were the recruiter I'd have taken Goater. If Goater ends up the better player, do I know better than the recruiters? Absolutely not.

Maybe I'd have picked Lohmann if there was a highlight reel ;)

And ESmith might be good if he turns out like Dangerfield

You asked why take a small forward at pick 20. I’d take a Heeney or Bailey Smith at that pick.

Building a premiership team means taking some risk on occasion for higher reward. Wilmot looks a pretty safe bet so happy to take a bit more risk with the second pick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah my point was, as I clarified in later exchanges, he didn't feel the mail was strong enough to select Lohman in his Phantoms though.
Twomey isn't 100% accurate, he didn't have Alleer going to GWS for example. But since he brought up Lohmann in relation to early 20s picks, it's very possible teams were considering him there.

A perfectly reasonable stance to have. In the end we're all fans, not experts. If I were the recruiter I'd have taken Goater. If Goater ends up the better player, do I know better than the recruiters? Absolutely not.

Maybe I'd have picked Lohmann if there was a highlight reel ;)
By the sounds of it if there was a highlights package it would've been a bloody good one.

The defence seems to be that he can offer more in a different position to what we’ve seen him play. That isn’t offering a lot of guidance on where he’ll end up and has backfired before compared to someone who has at least performed well in their position even if they have a lower ceiling

I don’t care if he suited other clubs needs around those picks (Hawthorn had already drafted a gun mid and need small forwards) I don’t think he suited our draft strategy

What was our draft strategy?

By the sounds of it if there was a highlights package it would've been a bloody good one.

I bet! 185 cm player who is a strong mark, has elite speed and agility and very good endurance - it's a recipe for something good!

Just imagine the melts if we took Sheldrick at 16 then Lohmann at 20

When it is all said and done recruiters know way more than us on BF

One more sleep before our next pick 41

He is friends with Sharp
Loves surfing
Previously played back flank and wing. Then this year moved into forward
Sees himself high forward in AFL then later into the midfield
Believes his best attribute is marking

You asked why take a small forward at pick 20. I’d take a Heeney or Bailey Smith at that pick.

Building a premiership team means taking some risk on occasion for higher reward. Wilmot looks a pretty safe bet so happy to take a bit more risk with the second pick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But we picked ESmith so he could throw his body around and burst from packs like Dangerfield without having consistently shown he could do this at a lower level. Similar to what we’ve done with Lohmann

There are several around the mark who had far more consistent season even at stage league and state representative games who I would’ve been happy with

Ballenden had a far more consistent season than many on AFL lists. Why is he not signed to a club?

Sounds like adding some outside run and flair and happy to take a risk to get it

Wilmot was seen as a player that would have been a top ten draft pick in 2022 had he been born a say later. We rated Lohmann three spots under Wilmot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bet! 185 cm player who is a strong mark, has elite speed and agility and very good endurance - it's a recipe for something good!

Must have kicked a ton of goals at junior level

Ballenden had a far more consistent season than many on AFL lists. Why is he not signed to a club?

Because he’s somewhere near his potential which isn’t good enough for AFL level

Must have kicked a ton of goals at junior level

Because he’s somewhere near his potential which isn’t good enough for AFL level

He played half back and wing as a junior. I thought you've seen all his games and know a heap about him?!?!

He played half back and wing as a junior. I thought you've seen all his games and know a heap about him?!?!

I guess Conole doesn’t know either

Lohmann played on the wing and across half back at 16s level for Vic Country, however he has been used with great effect across half forward this season in a strong Greater Western Victoria Rebels team.

Sounds like adding some outside run and flair and happy to take a risk to get it

So it sounds like in your mind, you think that consensus group-think equates to a lower risk profile for a potential draftee. That is even before you take into account that you don't know the inner workings of our recruitment or other team's recruitment.

I'm going to bed. Bizarre how upset you've become over something you have next to no knowledge of and no control over. And if you're trolling, you've just spent over 3 hours trolling in a bigfooty draft thread, :$.

To base a projection off a draft year is fraught with danger. There have been plenty of spuds that won the Larke Medal as the best performed player in the draft year. Schache, Cale Morton, Watts, Hooper... even the 2001 Super Draft had superstars Sam Power and Steven Armstrong as winners.

Weird arguments being made.

So it sounds like in your mind, you think that consensus group-think equates to a lower risk profile for a potential draftee. That is even before you take into account that you don't know the inner workings of our recruitment or other team's recruitment.

I'm going to bed. Bizarre how upset you've become over something you have next to no knowledge of and no control over. And if you're trolling, you've just spent over 3 hours trolling in a bigfooty draft thread, :$.

I think the media covers players performances generally pretty well and the way the coaches rate them at underage level.

Must have missed all the phantom drafts being completely wrong tonight

Do you have any thoughts on whether Lohmann could transition into the midfield at all? Also did you have a player available at 20 that you feel we should've taken?
Haven’t looked at one second of the kid, so don’t have anything to say.

Our recruiter was pretty adamant that we weren’t looking at midfielders this draft. The club feels we currently have enough on our list.

Everyone here knows I am a big Josh Goater fan.

Haven’t looked at one second of the kid, so don’t have anything to say.

Our recruiter was pretty adamant that we weren’t looking at midfielders this draft. The club feels we currently have enough on our list.

Everyone here knows I am a big Josh Goater fan.
"Draft for talent" out the door then?

Anyone catch poor young Johnson and crew in the background on Fox at the end of the draft? They did a cross to a reporter in WA (I think) and Johnson and crew were fully visible for about a minute. Poor kid looked terrible. Even think I noticed him mouthing WTF a couple of times. Shades of Robertson from a couple years ago for sure.
The recruiter at the function commented on this issue, saying it’s a terrible look for the afl, and a terrible thing for a kid to go through, and that the draft should be a one night event, so kids aren’t left in this situation.

Recruiting teams and clubs don’t like it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back