Analysis 2021 draft thread

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Scouting notes for Tunstill playing for SA U19s vs. WA U19s.

Looks like he did very well at state level considering where he's come from development wise.
He was very good in the first state game and its on youtube so probably the easiest game to watch for anyone interested.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Scouting notes for Tunstill playing for SA U19s vs. WA U19s.

Looks like he did very well at state level considering where he's come from development wise.
He sounds potentially freakish.

Lions1024

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
I think most said the same when picked Starz and Bailey as first round picks I’ll back in Conole

Don't think he was criticising draft selection but rather our trading / list management. If we had an opportunity to trade out a future third round pick to get a player we rated in the first round (after weighing up our needs) and we didn't do it - that's a poor assessment of risk / reward imo. I think the fact that players drafted around this mark are quite speculative reinforces this.

Points for next year can always be manufactured, plans change (e.g. a player might request a trade next year) and rankings can always change (e.g. Ashcroft drops down the draft rankings).

But in saying that, I like the look of Tunstill I'm just not a fan of the way we have approached this draft knowing that a player we rated in the first round was available a couple of picks before us.

Interviewed by about half the teams. Only really started taking it serious in the last year or two, not ideal training conditions (3 hours each way to Perth each week, only really training locally in Bussellton). Sounds like he adjusted quickly to the higher levels when moved up.

Worth a punt.

Points for next year can always be manufactured, plans change (e.g. a player might request a trade next year) and rankings can always change (e.g. Ashcroft drops down the draft rankings).

That's all too easy to say as a supporter. Harder if you work in list management. We might also not want to double up on players - we might rate Howes as too similar to Lohmann.

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1637836281498.png

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There is only so many times you can go out of the box and win ! Why not zac Taylor as an example or Draper

Out of the box according to whom?

And who else did we go outside the box for? Wilmot? Lohmann?

If you believe the tweet from Riley Beveridge a few clubs had Lohmann in the 15 to 20 range.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would Mick Ablett and Shifter Sheehan have put together the Fox rankings?
Anything opinion based that is predicting the future historically gets it wrong more often than right doesn't it. Even informed opinion.

So it figures that once you get past the obvious you play the percentages and hope.

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
Out of the box according to whom?

And who else did we go outside the box for? Wilmot? Lohmann?

If you believe the tweet from Riley Beveridge a few clubs had Lohmann in the 15 to 20 range.
Lohman and tunstil out of the box definitely at there selection , time will tell if so or not
Our selectors have form

Back