Analysis 2021 draft thread

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wilmott was the player who stood out to me the most watching some of the under age footy this year and he has the biggest ceiling due to his age. So that is a massive tick for me. Lohmann sounds like a nice pick. Hasn't had as much exposure as some due to injuries but sounds like he has exciting attributes and Fagan is spot on when he says you need players who have that X factor. I think he might need a few years of solid reserves footy to get his body ready for AFL but that's fine - we shouldn't really need him to walk into the club and be a best 22 immediately. The thing I like about his recruitment is its another country boy. The club has made it very clear thats a policy we are going to encourage going forward and who could argue with that principle. It's served us well so far. We can get our knickers in a twist and say we should have drafted this kid - but if the kid wants to to return to Melbourne after 2 years we have wasted 2 years development.

Our 3rd choice seems a bit more of project selection that could also be based on WA boys having more matches this year and therefore more vision and I note he is also a country boy.

If we are being honest our best 22/25 players should be the guys who have served us so well in the past few seasons. I'm hoping Ely Smith can finally make the jump into best 22/25 this season but it's not the worst scenario to have your draft picks playing reserves for a couple seasons and then when its time for them to step up they are more than ready and have earned it. Not every kid will be a Hugh McCluggage.

Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers
I have really only seen Tunstill in the WA v SA games and whilst there is a fair bit to work with I do think he is coming from a long way back. He is very much an inside player and he did not find space away from the contest in that game. Inside he hunts the ball well and reads it reasonably off hands. Skills are solid but unspectacular and mostly he just gets the ball moving along. He is a loose limbed mover (think Yeo or Lappin) who will need to add some bulk to play his preferred inside role at AFL level but he does move through traffic nicely. Athletically he has a lot going for him and he does improve the athletic profile of our squad.

I thought the fact that he was one of the starting onballers for WA in the state match was a big positive for how he is viewed by the coaching staff and in the first game he started with a real burst getting a lot of touches early. He has only had one year in an elite program and his development this year would not have been helped by the large amount of travel he had to do to get to games. So I am sure there is upside there but at the moment I am not seeing any particular trait I am in love with with his game.

I now LemmingMaster is a fan of his might be willing to put in his thoughts.

On the night I was disappointed that Bazzo didn't quite make it to us but there is no guarantee he would have been taken anyway. I have no problem passing on Taylor and Draper as personally I did not really rate either of those guys. I would have gone a mature KP to provide the depth we are lacking and if small was the option I would have liked a more mature guy like Clark or Bailey Rogers from WA. Fejo would also have been hard for me to resist.

No need for me to comment ...... backs up what I saw editing the video ........ Tunstill is #20 for WA

Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers
Some may say good, some may sad bad ....... but reminds me a little of Matheson in some of the vision.

What I did notice focusing on the one player whilst editing was a lot of selfless running both ways between the arcs ....... but all one paced (again reminding me of Matheson).

Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers
The other thing with Tunstill is that he really needs to work on his tackling. Lots of half hearted arm tackles and grabbing type interactions which are easily broken. Something he will definitely need to improve.

Yeah ........... I left those out (which I normally wouldn't) ............. trying to be kind to the kid I guess (given the negative reactions for Lohmann after rnd 1)

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Doesn't have the class or vision of McCluggage but I think they'll play similar styles. Probably won't play pure inside or outside mid but looks like a bit of a linkman between the two receiving the ball from the inside then moving well through traffic finding an outside runner, doesn't look explosive but moves well and seems hard to tackle. Just from those clips it looks like he's got a few things to clean up, mainly hitting targets more consistently and not putting teammates under pressure but in a full time system and a couple preseason's looks like he'll be a pretty silky mover that's hard to tackle.

Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers
I think he has pretty high cruising speed.

I agree .... it wasn't meant as a knock.
I guess I was hopefully looking for examples of explosive speed from the contest, but that was not the type of game they had him playing (totally inside). It may be there ..... I'd love to see some vision from his WAFL Colts games to see what type of role he played in those.
Don't have any idea of his testing results either.

Purely from that footage:

- seems dual-sided with handballing
- head over it
- good anticipation
- works hard from contest to contest
- not bad core strength for a guy who maybe hasn't had the training opportunities
- not too fumbly, but wasn't always one touch
- seemed to avoid kicking and, when he did kick, it wasn't penetrating or particularly accurate

Not expecting a superstar at that pick but there's plenty there to work with.

Squizz89

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Knightmares rating - https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/32715002/afl-draft-2021-every-club-draft-haul-rated

Brisbane
Picks: 16, 20, 41

Players drafted: Darcy Wilmot, Kai Lohmann, James Tunstill

Grade: D

Rationale: Brisbane secured a balanced group of players. Wilmot was drafted as a rebounding defender, Lohmann as a speedy and damaging forward, while Tunstill joins the club as a hardworking, ball winning midfielder. The Lions get marked down due to all three of their picks being relative reaches. Lohmann being selected inside the first round was one of the surprise selections, and similar could be said of Tunstill at 41, given how many talented midfielders remained.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The biggest imbalance in our list I think now is the number our talls are mostly giants, and that means they can't play defence very well.
Huh? The second part of the sentence doesn't follow from the first. Harris Andrews is a giant who can play defence very well.

Daniher / Kalin Lane / Henry Smith / Darcy Fort / Oscar McInerney / Hipwood / Fullarton?
Oscar went back a few times last year and I remember him being an asset in marking packs.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Knightmares rating - https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/32715002/afl-draft-2021-every-club-draft-haul-rated

Brisbane

Rationale: Brisbane secured a balanced group of players. Wilmot was drafted as a rebounding defender, Lohmann as a speedy and damaging forward, while Tunstill joins the club as a hardworking, ball winning midfielder. The Lions get marked down due to all three of their picks being relative reaches. Lohmann being selected inside the first round was one of the surprise selections, and similar could be said of Tunstill at 41, given how many talented midfielders remained.
Everyone's an expert. (including Knightmare) At the end of the day, nobody knows better than our representatives who understand what we need in list management. (including Knightmare)

Brisbane

Lol

Brisbane

A 'D' because they are reaches? He's lost the plot. What a surprise, Collingwood got an 'A'. And Carlton had one pick at 27 and got a B+.

Knightmare's post draft club reviews are better described as "divergence from his opinion". The further a club is away from his rankings of players, the worse their review is. That's ok - it's what his schtick is. I dunno why people bother with it, tbh. He offers plenty of value if you don't take his opinions to heart and can accept that he won't admit he's wrong or isn't in a position to offer an opinion.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Brisbane

A reach perhaps according to his rankings but not according to most others it would seem

Whoever took Goater must have been given an E-

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Knightmare's post draft club reviews are better described as "divergence from his opinion". The further a club is away from his rankings of players, the worse their review is. That's ok - it's what his schtick is. I dunno why people bother with it, tbh. He offers plenty of value if you don't take his opinions to heart and can accept that he won't admit he's wrong or isn't in a position to offer an opinion.

From what I saw of his first round review for the entire second half of the first round his only comment was basically, 'bad decision, should have drafted Johnson' - ok sure, we get you liked him but at least come up with something more original if you want to call yourself an analyst.

Brisbane

Has anyone seen knightmare and jackess in the same room?

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I prefer someone who is giving grades to actually go out on a limb and give their opinion. I hate all these draft grade articles who give every team an A or B. I have no issue at all with Knightmare sticking with how he rated players and rating teams accordingly. Should be more of it in my opinion. It doesn't mean he will end up being right but at least he has an opinion and is not afraid to put it out there.

Back