Analysis 2021 draft thread

Goodes and Koutafides were basically the perfect AFL physical prototypes.

Kouta 1.0 he had half year that was mind blowining. Goodes did it over three thee years including winning a premiership where he was basically the KF on one leg.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Kouta was mental when he went into the middle. Almost unstoppable. I don't remember a heap of 90s football but he stuck in my head like no one else bar maybe Chris Grant (we got a lot of Dogs' games because IIRC it was Sunday arvo that was always live on FTA).
People forget Chris Grant won the Brownlow as a KP player convincingly. About the time it started to become impossible to win if you weren't a M/Fer.

Unfortunately he was rubbed out for a frivolous incident that the umpires didn't deem reportable that would've been overturned with an Appeal system. Ironic because he was a very fair player.

mish33

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just back on our drafting, with the club seemingly drafting with an eye on needs with our first two and then going best available with Jimmy, it's almost exactly the opposite of conventional drafting strategy. I understand the feeling that we may have reached for players, but there is a conviction that is shown by picking Wilmot and Lohmann that reminds me of the Bailey/Starce picks which can give those young players confidence the club believes in them.
I am on record as having loved the look of Wilmot. Now that we've seen his personality, I feel like he could have a similar influence on the next wave of players as Cam has had. It shouldn't matter that he doesn't know anyone, he'll fit right in.
The Lohmann pick makes sense too as he further boosts the investment in Sharp as well as bringing qualities of a possible long term Zorko replacement. There may have been better Fwd/Mids on pure talent available, but his athletic traits and likely ease of transition to Brisbane are points in his favour. Both players have games that will transfer well to AFL. I wanted Johnson at 20, but with 3 potential mid/wings next year, i see why we went another way.
With Jimmy, we seemed to really like him so just took best available since the good talls were gone. He looks a handy player who could easily improve a lot in a full time environment.
Overall, I'm happy with the selections and with an eye on next year, these picks make more and more sense.

DevRoboGun

Debutant
Nov 26, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just back on our drafting, with the club seemingly drafting with an eye on needs with our first two and then going best available with Jimmy, it's almost exactly the opposite of conventional drafting strategy. I understand the feeling that we may have reached for players, but there is a conviction that is shown by picking Wilmot and Lohmann that reminds me of the Bailey/Starce picks which can give those young players confidence the club believes in them.
I am on record as having loved the look of Wilmot. Now that we've seen his personality, I feel like he could have a similar influence on the next wave of players as Cam has had. It shouldn't matter that he doesn't know anyone, he'll fit right in.
The Lohmann pick makes sense too as he further boosts the investment in Sharp as well as bringing qualities of a possible long term Zorko replacement. There may have been better Fwd/Mids on pure talent available, but his athletic traits and likely ease of transition to Brisbane are points in his favour. Both players have games that will transfer well to AFL. I wanted Johnson at 20, but with 3 potential mid/wings next year, i see why we went another way.
With Jimmy, we seemed to really like him so just took best available since the good talls were gone. He looks a handy player who could easily improve a lot in a full time environment.
Overall, I'm happy with the selections and with an eye on next year, these picks make more and more sense.

I tend to think it’s very difficult to assess how the club has drafted until a few years after the draft. Who is to know we weren’t drafting the best available? Bailey would go top 3 now. There are always A graders who fall through and it will take years before we really know how we drafted. Fingers crossed it’s a pleasant surprise.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Good article on the sons of Ashcroft and Fletcher.

I wonder what Will has done to his left shoulder?

He’s had it strapped for at least a year.

I wonder what Will has done to his left shoulder?

He’s had it strapped for at least a year.

Geez he's looking strong in his upper body too isn't he. That's very promising.

And one more...

It's so weird hearing Hugh Mccluggage talk like an experienced player. He's still a draftee in my head.

Now he's taking the next gen under his wing. We've come a long way as a club.

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
USA football/afl podcast looking at the draft, with Rookie Me Central chief editor, Pete Williams. Briefly talks about the Lions draft at the 55:25 mark, as one of the four club’s drafts that he rates.

If you scroll back through the episode’s, there is an episode with a Lions fan living in the USA who’s a punter at a small college. Fair chance some here may know the guy, or he may even be a member here.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just saw the story on the Channel 9 state news about Daryl McDowell-White Jr training with the Lions at the moment. They explained that the Lions were unable to Cat B rookie draft him after submitting a request to the AFL. Apparently the father-son pairing played together at the local league level a few years ago which ruled White Jr ineligible for Cat B rookie status but I assume they'll set their sights on him in the mid-season draft. He turned 25 a few weeks ago for anyone that's wondering.

You guys might already be aware of all these details but I just thought I'd share the information in case you weren't aware. Always nice to see the son of an AFL legend making his way into the game, particularly at a Queensland club where they seem few and far between.

Last edited:
Just saw the story on the Channel 9 state news about Daryl McDowell-White Jr training with the Lions at the moment. They explained that the Lions were unable to Cat B rookie draft him after submitting a request to the AFL. Apparently the father-son pairing played together at the local league level a few years ago which ruled White Jr ineligible for Cat B rookie status but I assume they'll set their sights on him in the mid-season draft. He turned 25 a few weeks ago for anyone that's wondering.

You guys might already be aware of all these details but I just thought I'd share the information in case you weren't aware. Always nice to see the son of an AFL legend making his way into the game, particularly at a Queensland club where they seem few and far between.
We could probably sign him now with CEY’s departure if we wanted to. Would be fascinating to see what he could do.

Back