Opinion 2021 Draft Time Capsule

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Missed the last couple of years.

With all the mock drafts doing the rounds, how about we try something different. Pick 5 players that you believe will be considered top 10 in years to come. With your 5th pick, try and select a smokey as such, someone that is not considered a 1st rounder at this stage.

Fire away

Will put my thoughts down a bit closer to draft night.

Happy with my work over the past couple of years in particular.

2020 - Had JUH and DGB the two clear standouts. Western is one I thought we'd look back on his draft position (pick 54) as a steal. Poulter and Bowey were my guys. One year in and you can see why.

2019 - We know how keen I was on Philp and Honey. Philp in particular I had in my top 15. Dylan Stephens, Ash, Young all favourites. Honey great value, was also keen on Garcia late.
EDIT: Also had Harrison Jones inside my top 15 in 2019.

Last edited:

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
I reckon I'll also put down my selections closer to draft night.

Last year I had Rivers, Durdin and Harry Sharp down as late gems, so I was really glad we ended up selecting at least one of them. Went with Bruhn as an early selection but he hasn't quite got there yet.

2019 I really liked Harry Jones, Bergman and Weightman so that's gone quite well. For my smokeys I went with Ralphsmith and Cahill.

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Will put my thoughts down a bit closer to draft night.

Happy with my work over the past couple of years in particular.

2020 - Had JUH and DGB the two clear standouts. Western is one I thought we'd look back on his draft position (pick 54) as a steal. Poulter and Bowey were my guys. One year in and you can see why.

2019 - We know how keen I was on Philp and Honey. Philp in particular I had in my top 15. Dylan Stephens, Ash, Young all favourites. Honey great value, was also keen on Garcia late.
The Obvs:
Horne-Francis
Daicos
Callaghan

Outside 1st
Alleer

Smokey
Isaiah Dudley

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Jacob van Rooyen
Josh Sinn
Mathew Johnson
Finn Callaghan

The top two picks (I meant JVH and Daicos) are very close to lock top ten players and it would mainly be injury keeping them out long term.

The 5th player is either

Brad Hough or James Tunstill (I think Tunstill will take many years to maybe crack it at AFL level. Hough is a sneaky chance to crack into a forward line in his first few years)

Last edited:
OK, time to circle back to this. Draft week is here and I think my rankings are done.

Top 5 in no particular order:

JHF
Daicos
Darcy
Callaghan
Goater

Think some would be surprised by the 5th name there. But if he doesn't qualify I have Knevitt, Macdonald, Rankin all higher than most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
* Gibcus - by far the best KPD in draft has high end footy IQ terrific combination of one on one & third man defending along with an attacking mindset…

*Chesser - will be an outstanding winger/midfielder has a wonderful balance of inside/outside game combination of speed and superb ball use…

*Sinn - damaging HBF who will move up onto a wing and eventually through the midfield, uses his elite speed in taking the game on and opening things up with continuous run & rebound…

Lohmann* classy damaging medium forward, a one touch player both in the air and ground level , possesses Xfactor with a great speed & endurance combination I’d snap him up with #25…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back