Mega Thread 2021 Draft

Hey guys, scuse the intrusion. Thought you might like to have this resource on your board (mods might like to sticky):

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nothing against the kid, but where does he fit?

Burton, Jones, DBJ, Houston, Bonner, Bergman... whose he kicking out?
I’m not sure he’s kicking anyone out. We may have injuries at some stage. A few of those players might not be at half back next year as well.

Bergman can play multiple positions. I hope we play him on the wing.

I hope we look at playing Bonner on the half forward flank as well.

Dbj better not be a lock if he plays like he did last year.

Duursma Bergman on the wings

Bonner to take motlops half forward spot.

Dbj Jones Houston and sinn fighting for spots.

We’re pretty stacked there to be honest, but it wouldn’t take many outs for sinn to get a few games

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Bonner - one preliminary final performance doesn't really win me. He's always had 1 great game and 20 bad games so that's an easy decision for me.
Bonner had a very good year, apart from a 3-4 game down patch, and played a brilliant prelim. He deserves more credit than he gets around here. The softer players are always overly criticised if they are even slightly off.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Developing key defender 195+ is still needed. Take a stab at someone and hope it comes off.

Was Dean drafted at all?
We took Sam skinner.
He’s listed as 198cm, 100kgs and 24 years old.

While I’m not entirely sold that he’s a future chb that will hold the spot down for years to come, for a guy that’s maybe 5th or 6th in our key defender depth chart he’s pretty good and is enough to give me some faith that we aren’t going to be playing mids as kpp once a few key guys retire.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Think Skinner is a great pickup but still think we need another developing key defender in that 18-20 age bracket.
I absolutely want a developing key defender but with the addition of skinner we don’t have to draft one for the sake of having one for coverage. We have that coverage.

Now we can look to draft one that we think can really make it. If that means waiting we can do that.

Developing key defender 195+ is still needed. Take a stab at someone and hope it comes off.

Was Dean drafted at all?
Put that on hold for another 12 months. If everyone is fit, Pasini would end up being a 4th tall defender or Skinner would be forced forward or something.

Nothing against the kid, but where does he fit?

Burton, Jones, DBJ, Houston, Bonner, Bergman... whose he kicking out?

Burton - No
Jones - Not in the team anyway
DBJ - Had a disaster of a year. Could see DBJ have a role change into the midfield
Houston - Has been pressing for a mid spot for a while.
Bonner - Noone rates
Bergman - Pushing further up the field.

We seem to like to play 4-5 guys a game as general defenders so its easy to see how he could fit into one of those spots early on if he has a good pre season. Sinn is also potentially better than all of them in time.

Good thing is DBJ, Houston, Bonner and Bergman can all play multiple positions as well. Flexibility is good.

Hawthorn had a good draft getting Ward, Butler and Serong.
Collingwood did a great job with Daicos, Draper, Murley and Harrison.
Richmond had a great draft as well. Gibcus, Brown, Sonsie, Banks, Clarke is a potentially elite draft haul
Freo drafted what I would call the draft that could win them their first flag. After their last couple of drafts as well. No excuses for them. In 3 years time they should be a cemented top 4 team.

I absolutely want a developing key defender but with the addition of skinner we don’t have to draft one for the sake of having one for coverage. We have that coverage.

Now we can look to draft one that we think can really make it. If that means waiting we can do that.
Correct and if next year is as loaded with KPPs and rucks as a few have post, including you, then next year might be the year to draft one if we only have pick 17-20 range as our highest pick.

MALTSY

Club Legend
May 2, 2011
silver sands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Im actually really happy with the players we have chosen.
Liked the clips of Dante...seems an aggresive sort.
Apparently Jackson is a jet and a very neat, well balanced player.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Fox Footy's verdict:

Young Mr Grace.jpg

(well, except for Brisbane, Essendon and Sydney apparently)

For those who watch a lot of Junior footy ergo the TAC Cup or NAB league or whatever its called these days, why did Sandringham have so many players drafted? Luck of the draw? Calder Cannons and Oakleigh Chargers tend to be the dominate 2 sides in that comp in regards to flags won, with the Chargers winning 4 in previous decade.

In 2016 Sandringham provided 7 picks 1, 2, 5, 7, 11, 59, 71 and won the flag but had to come from 5th.
(McGrath, Taranto, Setterfield, Scrimshaw, Florent, Cameron Polson and Corey Lyons).

2021 draft it was 8 and next best was 4 picks from Claremont, Dandenong and Greater Western Victoria Rebels ( ie formerly Ballarat Rebels). Bendigo was the only TAC Cup side who didn't have a draftee.

3. GWS Giants - Finn Callaghan (midfielder, Sandringham Dragons/St Bede’s College/Vic Metro)

12. Port Adelaide - Josh Sinn (medium defender, Sandringham Dragons/Old Xaverians/Vic Metro)

14. West Coast Eagles - Campbell Chesser (midfielder-defender, Sandringham Dragons/Lavington Panthers/Melbourne Grammar/Vic Metro)

33. St Kilda - Mitchito ‘Mitch’ Owens (midfielder-forward, Sandringham Dragons/Beaumaris/Mentone Grammar/Vic Metro)

39. Melbourne - Blake Howes (medium forward, Sandringham Dragons/Parkdale/St Bede’s/Vic Metro)

47. St Kilda - Marcus Windhager (midfielder, Sandringham Dragons/Beaumaris/Haileybury College/Vic Metro)

56. Port Adelaide - Dante Visentini (key position utility, Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)

61. Western Bulldogs - Luke Cleary (defender, Sandringham Dragons)

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We took Sam skinner.
He’s listed as 198cm, 100kgs and 24 years old.

While I’m not entirely sold that he’s a future chb that will hold the spot down for years to come, for a guy that’s maybe 5th or 6th in our key defender depth chart he’s pretty good and is enough to give me some faith that we aren’t going to be playing mids as kpp once a few key guys retire.

The issue is that yes Skinner may be able to fill a gap for a couple years but he’s also an unknown as a defender at AFL level and past injury concerns.

Aside from him and an untried Pasini, we have no other developing key defender depth. Think we needed to grab one other tall defender at 195+ to develop over the next couple years as we will loose our other talls over that time and be relying on Skinner as our main replacement.

x_les_x

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So far in this off season

Ladhams -> Visentini
Hartlett -> Sinn
Lienert -> Skinner
Woodcock -> Jackson
Burgoyne -> Burgoyne
Rockcliff -> Dumont?

Looks to me especially the first 4 were players that never really solidified and settled a position at AFL level. Woodcock as a small was not an effective forward and more a small midfielder. Lienert for a tall back was more of a HBF. Hartlett was injury riddled mid/wing/HBF. Ladhams was a satisfactory ruck/fwd.

Hopefully the new blokes can settle a bit more. Pretty exciting future ahead

Revan11

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For those who watch a lot of Junior footy ergo the TAC Cup or NAB league or whatever its called these days, why did Sandringham have so many players drafted? Luck of the draw? Calder Cannons and Oakleigh Chargers tend to be the dominate 2 sides in that comp in regards to flags won, with the Chargers winning 4 in previous decade.

In 2016 Sandringham provided 7 picks 1, 2, 5, 7, 11, 59, 71 and won the flag but had to come from 5th.
(McGrath, Taranto, Setterfield, Scrimshaw, Florent, Cameron Polson and Corey Lyons).

2021 draft it was 8 and next best was 4 picks from Claremont, Dandenong and Greater Western Victoria Rebels ( ie formerly Ballarat Rebels). Bendigo was the only TAC Cup side who didn't have a draftee.

3. GWS Giants - Finn Callaghan (midfielder, Sandringham Dragons/St Bede’s College/Vic Metro)

12. Port Adelaide - Josh Sinn (medium defender, Sandringham Dragons/Old Xaverians/Vic Metro)

14. West Coast Eagles - Campbell Chesser (midfielder-defender, Sandringham Dragons/Lavington Panthers/Melbourne Grammar/Vic Metro)

33. St Kilda - Mitchito ‘Mitch’ Owens (midfielder-forward, Sandringham Dragons/Beaumaris/Mentone Grammar/Vic Metro)

39. Melbourne - Blake Howes (medium forward, Sandringham Dragons/Parkdale/St Bede’s/Vic Metro)

47. St Kilda - Marcus Windhager (midfielder, Sandringham Dragons/Beaumaris/Haileybury College/Vic Metro)

56. Port Adelaide - Dante Visentini (key position utility, Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)

Th Sandringham thing is interesting. I think we now have 5 on our list. Its interesting because we used to, i think, deliberately shy away from the Vic metro mummies boys. Sandringham, is a pretty salubrious part of Malbun, the kids from there are naturally private school boys as opposed to scholarship winning ones, Parents have a holiday house down at Sorrento, Dads a member at Kingston Heath type of place.
These are the types we would have given a wide berth even 5 years ago.

Its a real change in mindset, shows we have a pretty good culture and regained confidence at Port. The way Sinn waxed lyrical about the club did have a tinge of over zealous pre prepared propaganda about it, but he did seem genuine.

Yes we've always had great retention, but it was always more targeted. I still think its targeted (4 from Sandi in the last 3 drafts seems targeted), but maybe the Vic metro Mummies Boy thing is not as big an issue as it used to be.

Sandy have more drafted players than any other club according to draftguru. So its not luck, they just consistently are able to develop high quality footballers

The Sandringham thing is a league wide phenomenon. As recruiting has moved towards 'character' assessment, the private school types are favoured. They're generally well spoken, confident, good looking, know what to say to recruiters, etc, which gives them an advantage.

And importantly they clearly have a very good football program and great development to get players in a draftable position.

Back