Mega Thread 2021 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

to be honest most clubs had ‘meh’ drafts, including ours. Richmond and Freo were really good. Collingwood also got lucky and worked it very well.

Outside of that, everyone else just seemed to tick the boxes and do as expected.

That being said across the draft and trade period port has added KPP depth in Skinner and Finlayson, a developing ruck (REH must think he is dreaming), some outside run and class in Burgoyne and Jackson and much needed speed and midfield depth in Sinn. Future looked after (Sinn) and the now covered too(skinner and Finlason). We’ve lost Ladhams and a few past it or not going to make it players.
From what we had available to us, we’ve done the best we could. It’s not Richmond’s draft, which we didn’t have the picks for and we didn’t get lucky like Collingwood, but we did well and optimised what we had.

He rated Richmond a D as well lol

Are Adelaide going for a midget 22?
Adelaide’s strength used to be good talls, off the back of they just kept recruiting them, whether that was a desperate need or not. That they’ve still got most of their other issues, but now will have few quality talls coming through as well is great.

Those are his phantom drafts (more based on where he thinks they will go) rather than his power ratings (based on where he values them).

He also tends to put a high value on contested possessions which might have gone against Sinn.

No, in the past he's changed his power rankings based on draft rumours. McAsey went from 12 to 6 in his power rankings a few years back once the rumours about Adelaide locking on him started. And there was no football played to influence that change.

It's not a big deal and I see what you're saying. It's all subjective and maybe they have a better draft haul, we won't know for years. But I just don't get how our draft haul is so bad compared to Adelaide's.

He gave us a C+ in 2019 for Bergman, Georgiades, Williams and Mead.

We were a B+ in 2018 for Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Woodcock, Grundy.

Gold Coast drafted Rory Thompson in the PSD. Bit of a safe pick that one ;)

The interesting stat I would like to know is the amount of Private School boys who end up in leadership positions.
I asked an assistant coach why the AFL recruiting preference seemed to be Private Schoolboys alot of it he said was due to scholarships but invariably he thought because they had been in structured coaching programs with excellent coaching staff they had learnt how to take instruction and feedback exceptionally well. He also commented on their ability to implement what they are told in terms if something was verbalised they were able, in alot of cases, able to understand the sentiment rather than necessarily have to be shown visually.
In regards to leadership, he thought that many of them were more familiar with what it meant and how to enact it.
He did say that there are still many a Private Schoolboy that arent the sharpest going around.

Trent Dumont!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in two minds about the use of the rookie list for players like goldsack and Mayes. Feels like lost opportunities to unearth roughies at low risk.

The flipside is that the roughies we do get are much more likely to develop with good on field leadership.

I'd love to see the evidence around this though. It's hard to quantify having said that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back