Mega Thread 2021 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that it for us then - with Manguru elevated to the main list, is there any further scope for selections in the pre-season SSP or mid-season draft (without someone being long term injured)?
Nope we are full at 42.

I can only count up to 41. Please help me!

I was wrong about Pasini, he wasn't elevated despite getting a 2 year contract at end of 2020. In the past with Houston and Lienert 2 years meant 1 extra year on the rookie list and second year elevated to main list. The fact we traded pick 62 to WCE for their F4th meant we had 1 spot left on the main list which is a max of 38.
1637904386582.png

I was wrong about Pasini, he wasn't elevated despite getting a 2 year contract at end of 2020. In the past with Houston and Lienert 2 years meant 1 extra year on the rookie list and second year elevated to main list. The fact we traded pick 62 to WCE for their F4th meant we had 1 spot left on the main list which is a max of 38.
View attachment 1287883
I missed Skinner - so the count is now 42. I’m still confused, is it possible for an addition, either pre season or mid season. Not including Mayes as he is an out & in, we had 8 outs and only 7 ins.

I'm in two minds about the use of the rookie list for players like goldsack and Mayes. Feels like lost opportunities to unearth roughies at low risk.
Goldsack I don't mind as a special case to circumvent wage restrictions, but Rookie list for Mayes and mid-season picks of older players like Sutcliffe and McEntee reeks of more of the 'stability trumps performance' infesting the club. Sure they'll pretty consistently give you an 'Ok' game, but Port of old would have had the balls to use all those types of spots on younger players and hope 1 or more becomes more than just 'Ok', even if most (/all) did bust.

I missed Skinner - so the count is now 42. I’m still confused, is it possible for an addition, either pre season or mid season. Not including Mayes as he is an out & in, we had 8 outs and only 7 ins.
What are you confused about?

We had 43 by the end of 2021, but Frederick went from Cat B to the main list, so we can only have 42. You can have upto 2 Cat B rookies on top of the 42.

If the list is full, its full and you can only add to in either SSP drafts, if you have someone on the long term injury list and they aren't going to play again in 2022.

I’m confused why Frederick is on the main list when we had the option to keep him as a rookie, which no longer impacts his ability to play round 1.

Robbed ourselves of a list spot to save some soft cap?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had 43 by the end of 2021, but Frederick went from Cat B to the main list, so we can only have 42. You can have upto 2 Cat B rookies on top of the 42.

If the list is full, its full and you can only add to in either SSP drafts, if you have someone on the long term injury list and they aren't going to play again in 2022.
Nobody has yet explained to me why we promoted Frederick and reduced our list size from 43 to 42. Did we not get the memo allowing us to keep Freddy on the Catagory B rookie list for another year?

Nobody has yet explained to me why we promoted Frederick and reduced our list size from 43 to 42. Did we not get the memo allowing us to keep Freddy on the Catagory B rookie list for another year?
We obviously think we are in the premiership window and don't need another developing player.

Apart from Kade Dittmar ;) are there any notable hard luck stories now that the dust has settled? So much for Lienert being picked up by the Camries. Patrick Cripps's brother Joshua was talked about a bit (here in WA at least) but missed out - if his name wasn't Cripps he probably wouldn't have rated much of a mention.

Not confused any more. I know you’ve been on about Fredericks and now I do understand the results of his promotion to the main list. It was also stupid of me to miss Skinner in my initial count.

I’m confused why Frederick is on the main list when we had the option to keep him as a rookie, which no longer impacts his ability to play round 1.

Robbed ourselves of a list spot to save some soft cap?
Saving on soft cap would have meant Goldsack the coach stays on as a player and Freddie stays as a Cat B.

Its probably more about saving on total cash paid to players.

Or it means we have a few Cat B's we want to look at.

That's unlikely though I'd say.
If they haven't been put on the list by the end of this draft period and on the3rd list lodgement, they can't be added and play in 2022. As far as I understand, Cat B players can't be drafted at the SSP drafts.

We obviously think we are in the premiership window and don't need another developing player.
You can never have enough development players. Always need to have an eye to the future and progressively introduce kids to our system, to avoid having to rebuild in a panic when a swag of older players reach their shelf life.

You can never have enough development players. Always need to have an eye to the future and progressively introduce kids to our system, to avoid having to rebuild in a panic when a swag of older players reach their shelf life.
Well the law of diminishing marginal returns says you can.

If we had 100 developing players all training at once on Alberton Oval for 3 hours, how do you reckon training would turn out each session??

I had the impression during trade period that he had at least one other club having a look at him (Freo would be most likely). They would have been offering him a senior list spot.

If so, Port may have promoted Flash because they want to keep him. I assume the pay is better on the senior list.

So the rookie list move for senior players like Mayes is a way of paying them money outside the cap and meeting list requirements like spots freed up etc.

Most rookies and cat B options don’t amount to much. How many Sam Russells are there to one Dan Houston? So, whilst I do subscribe to the rinse and repeat policy, Port isn’t flush with cash and doesn’t have a local club that easily trains and prepares players like Geelong.

This was a shallow draft and it had been picked clean already. So rather than leave a spot free for something later why not take Dumont who will straight away push for selection (or at least be in the top 30-25)? He can set the tone at SANFL level and be ready to step in as needed. As opposed to say Dittmar who would need to adjust to AFL and develop and have a reasonable risk of failure just by virtue of being a rookie. If someone goes down, we can chuck them on the LTI list and draft some mid season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back