Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Nothing else, just wondering if this was why it is good.

I imagine we’ll also save some money.

in the past, while our seniors were playing in Melbourne, our reserves were likely to be in Brisbane or Canberra or Wagga or Darwin - along with medicos and runners and support staff and flights and hotels to be organised and paid for in 2 cities.

be beyond stupid if they didn’t somewhat align the games - if not curtain raisers then at least the same city on the same weekend.

from a logistical point of view alone (let alone the better quality opposition) it’s a good move.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Someone quick to get the tigers gear off and wear the orange

IMG_1951.jpg

Hopefully has a good year and is picked up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone quick to get the tigers gear off and wear the orange

View attachment 1077509

Hopefully has a good year and is picked up.

That's basketballer Josh Green of the Dallas Mavericks (he was in GWS's academy until around 14 before going over to the US to play basketball)

Not the Josh Green who is Tom Green's younger brother, haha.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Still no news on players signed for this comp and the only list I could find after a quick search was from the Giants website but hoping a few of the overagers stick with the academy and see it as a way to continue development with the chance to be drafted and I am sure we will see some news over the next few weeks with the comp getting closer to starting

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Still no news on players signed for this comp and the only list I could find after a quick search was from the Giants website but hoping a few of the overagers stick with the academy and see it as a way to continue development with the chance to be drafted and I am sure we will see some news over the next few weeks with the comp getting closer to starting

Listening to McCartney on SEN

He says at the beginning of the pod that they will be getting a lot of Academy(Western Sydney and Canberra) and top up players from Sydney(I’m guessing he means the AFLSydney).

Joshua Green played for our reserves on the weekend. Just mentioned in the Footy Phil podcast.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Finally an announcement on the players for the EAFL and although they wont have the experience of some of the melbourne clubs I feel the club was somewhat financially limited in options
Of the players listed only 4 i recognise that would have NEAFL experience with Smout a ball magnet in the last completed season and then Pollock, McGrory and Peatling playing several games in the 2019 season
No mention of Josh Green but maybe he will be named as an overager in the academy program
Billy Clark might be an option to get some games with some experience in the NEAFl with Canberra and Kel Evans is in the same boat
Most are in the 20-22 age bracket apart from Smout who is 26
Some VFL or more NEAFL experience in the players would have been better but as I said financially I dont think the club could compete with the swans and I dont think the players would have seen it as an option to get on the clubs list if they impress with the drafting history of the club so it will come down to having the same players lining up in the key positions (Good run with injuries throughout the club) and the coach getting the best out of the players

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Agree with that. Don't think we'll win a heap of games, but we are maximising NSW/ACT talent.

Yep this is 100% about pathways for NSW/ACT players.

With academies and growth in grassroots clubs through to the multi-divisional Sydney Comp and now onto the EFL, with Sydney and Canberra based players, we are building quite a pathway for the sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back