2nds 2021 EFL - 2nd Tier

Remove this Banner Ad

Wowee by my count that's 18 listed Dogs players in that team.

Reckon this has potential to get real ugly.

I think that’s right.

The flipside of that coin is that our 2’s are going to get an AFL level experience - so no player can complain they aren’t getting tested/challenged!

While our injury levels remain high, ECFL can only be about development and match experience.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can see why Hogan hasn’t been promoted yet. Leading well but looks like his fitness levels are a major concern, looks spent after every exertion.

Like the look of Wehr, classy type.

Buntine already cost a goal with a turnover by foot. Surely he’s done at AFL level. Way too many deficiencies.

I can see why Hogan hasn’t been promoted yet. Leading well but looks like his fitness levels are a major concern, looks spent after every exertion.

Like the look of Wehr, classy type.

Buntine already cost a goal with a turnover by foot. Surely he’s done at AFL level. Way too many deficiencies.

Huddo talking up Schache’s chance to impress against an AFL quality player... he is playing on Bunts 🤦🏽‍♂️

Huddo talking up Schache’s chance to impress against an AFL quality player... he is playing on Bunts 🤦🏽‍♂️
Yep, amazing. You can see Buntine thinks like an AFL player, gets to the right spots, but has no explosiveness at all and his disposal is such a liability.

Wehr and Angwin stick out with their class. Would like to see these guys in the mix for AFL selection.

Hogan impressed me with his work rate, even though I questioned his fitness. Briggs is athletic for a big man isn’t he?

half time thoughts

liked Pollock’s first qtr, don’t think they called his name in the second
thought we should have rookied Peatling a couple of years ago, nothing has changed my mind on that.
young Green is ok but Mummy would beat him in a sprint (I’d probably beat him in a sprint & I’m 52 with dodgy knees)
Sproule going well for VFL but is not quite there for seniors yet
ditto Shipley
we look better when Briggs is rucking, must be close for a call up
their transition is waaaay too easy
Hogan a class above
Buntine the very definition of a list clogger - delist

but it‘s good to be able to watch it on TV

Last edited:
I've found myself optimistic about quite a few players out there despite the margin, think a lot of our youngers guys and Hogan have a lot of good to offer to our club in the 1s, but holy * do we have some genuine list cloggers, Buntine and Brown have looked really below the standard even here

A courageous effort by our ECFL team tonight.

Kept the Dogs honest for longer than we had any right to expect given the huge gulf in AFL-level experience.

The teams being all square at half time was a moral victory for our boys.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

got called away just after half time so can’t comment on any play from the second half - but looking at the score it seems I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t watching the game😳

Hogan was way about this level and cruising around in 2nd gear.
I can see why Sproule got the call up but he has been disappointing at AFL level.
Shipley tries hard but just quiet there yet.
I would like to see Briggs get his chance in random with Flynn. Going to be a very good ruck

Hogan was way about this level and cruising around in 2nd gear.
I can see why Sproule got the call up but he has been disappointing at AFL level.
Shipley tries hard but just quiet there yet.
I would like to see Briggs get his chance in random with Flynn. Going to be a very good ruck
Should we have selected Hogan for tomorrow instead. Any chance he can be injury sub ( just joking, if he had only played half a game maybe)

32 Kieren Briggs

31 hit-outs, 15 disposals

“Briggsy provided a really strong contest in the air for us all night. He led the charge early with his follow up.”

23 Jesse Hogan

11 marks, four goals

“Everyone will see the four goals but his workrate and ability to give us a contest was first-class. He was selfless - he gave away three opportunities - and it was a really rounded performance.”

And a player that’s unsigned

42 Josh Green

21 disposals, four tackles

“Clearly our best midfielder on the night, along with Shipley. He definitely led the charge with our contested ball and it was a really pleasing game from Josh.”

I count a grand combined total of 23 games of AFL experience in that team (with 2 of those games coming on as a sub)

yes, technically Shipley has “played” 5 games but that’s 2 starting, 1 coming on as a medical sub and 2 more where he was the medical sub but wasn’t used, so I’m not counting those last 2.

you think our seniors are inexperienced? got nothin on these kids (although, southport isn’t exactly brimming with AFL talent, i’d love to know the average age differential.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back