Fantasy 2021 - EMPIRE League - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You dont want to Tag Elliot? Looking for a comp pick, huh ;)

Na, he's still only 25, I'll back him in for 2 years on the current salary. No one's giving me a first anyway. :(

Rookies:

James 2 years
Penny 2 years
Fuller 2 years
Crowder 2 years
Bass 2 years

Vets

Mariota 3 years
Elliott 2 years
I'll just update the spreadsheet for now, indicating all the info, wont process it in the MFL site, because people change their minds week to week. Will update the site end of April all in one go, when all 16 franchises have responded with their re-signings and tags.

POSSIBLE 2nd Rnd COMP PICKS (if owner elects to not re-sign or tag and player won in auction by another team)....

Andrew Luck $7m - adp
Ezekiel Elliott $6m - adp (re-signed)
Michael Thomas $6m - blacky
Davante Adams $6m - dixie flatline
Todd Gurley $7m - helfarch
Drew Brees $6m - shiny_on_top
Odell Beckham $6m - 00stinger
Travis Kelce $7m - thegreatbarryb

ok the one thing I haven't fully got my head around is the franchise tag and why we have to nominate a round. Can someone explain this to me

I've got a few players I want to keep but I need to work out which ones to franchise tag and which ones to sign normally

FT is a one year deal at an extra cost to you depending on the round you nominate.

Use it for players you're unsure on but don't want to lose for nothing. If someone bids on them at least you get some compo.

Or you just use it as bait for someone you have no desire to keep but you're sure the tagged player will be bid on.

Eg: if I didn't want to keep Elliott, I could tag him with a third knowing someone will bid on him and pay a third.

FT is a one year deal at an extra cost to you depending on the round you nominate.

Use it for players you're unsure on but don't want to lose for nothing. If someone bids on them at least you get some compo.
so if someone bids on them and I lose them do I gain the round draft pick I nominated them for?

Also if no one nominates them and I get them I assume that I take some kind of extra cap hit?

so if someone bids on them and I lose them do I gain the round draft pick I nominated them for?

Also if no one nominates them and I get them I assume that I take some kind of extra cap hit?
Yes and yes.

To nominate a first costs you 2m a second costs you 1m and a third costs you 500k

ok the one thing I haven't fully got my head around is the franchise tag and why we have to nominate a round. Can someone explain this to me

I've got a few players I want to keep but I need to work out which ones to franchise tag and which ones to sign normally
It's all explained in detail on the HOME page of the site, in the FEBRUARY section (scroll down).
But in layman's terms, various reasonings...

1. You can't re-sign more than 2 vets, so this is a way to hold onto another 2 vets.
2. You tag a vet because you dont really want him, he's old, has a huge salary, but hes still got some juice in him and will attract buyers in the Auction stage...if someone wins him in Auction, then the new owner has to give you a draft pick equal to the value of the draft round grade you tagged him with. Good example was Tom Brady last off-season....had a $5m+ salary, Lenny ummed/ahhed whether to re-sign him, so thought he could attract a 3rd round pick for him, I won him in Auction, Lenny elected to not match the offer, so I won him, and had to trade Lenny my 3rd round pick.
3. You tag him with a high draft round grade because you DO want him still, and its a way to ward off people from trying to bid on him in Auction.
4. You tag a player you want, but you give them a reasonable draft grade, say a 3rd, because you have every intention of MATCHING the winning bid...because someone bid on a tagged player, that then allows you to offer them a 3-5 yr contract and the tag dollars dont apply. A way to re-sign a 3rd or 4th vet for 3-5 years...putting them thru a tag, hoping they get bid on, matching the offer, allowing you to then offer a 3-5 yr contract....because if a tagged player is not bid on, he just returns to your roster for a 1 yr contract like a franchise tag.

NOTE -- if a tagged player is bid on and won by new owner or matched by old owner....the tag dollars are not applied, just the BID dollars.
NOTE -- if a tagged player is not bid on, he returns to your roster on 1 yr contract PLUS the tag dollars applied.

POSSIBLE 2nd Rnd COMP PICKS (if owner elects to not re-sign or tag and player won in auction by another team)....

Andrew Luck $7m - adp

Someone should bid on Luck. 🤗

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the Auction stage happens, the players available to be bid on are----all current FAs, all players NOT re-signed by current owners, any Franchise Tagged players.

The only time you do not bid on your own former players is when they're franchise tagged. You just sit back and wait for someone to win a bid on them....then you are given the option to MATCH or PASS on the bid. If you MATCH, you get that tagged player back on a 3-5 yr contract, but the bid dollars are applied to your cap, not the tag dollars. If you PASS on the player, the new owner gets to offer that player 3-5 yr contract and cops the bid dollars, not the tag dollars, but he has to give the old owner a draft pick equal to the draft grade he was tagged with.

All other players you personally have to bid on to try to win. Just don't bid on your OWN franchise tagged players. But you can bid on everyone else. There'll be a graphic posted above the AUction page that shows who was tagged by whom so people can look at that hopefully before bidding on players.

Andrew Luck $7m - adp
Is the comp pick tied to their last year's salary or their potential new one? It feels kinda odd that the owner of Andrew Luck is potentially in line for a comp pick (not that it would happen), but the owner of Aaron Rodgers wouldn't be

Another example was Khalil Mack....i tagged him with a 1st round grade, because I had no 1st rounder, and wanted one, no one would trade me a 1st for Mack imo before the season ended when still on contract, so I tagged him in the off-season. As the Auction went along finally BPG took a plunge and bid on him. That's what I wanted, a 1st round pick that i didnt have at the time. So i PASSed on the offer. But if I wanted to, I could've MATCHed and kept him for another 3-5 yrs. I chose the shiny dangling keys of 1st round pick instead.

Is the comp pick tied to their last year's salary or their potential new one? It feels kinda odd that the owner of Andrew Luck is potentially in line for a comp pick (not that it would happen), but the owner of Aaron Rodgers wouldn't be
Always been PREVIOUS salary. It feels odd. But it's as odd as Helfarch being fortunate that Barkley tore his ACL this year, and can re-sign him for 2 yrs at $1m, instead of what could've been $5m+. It's just a nice little good-luck/bad-luck random thing...no pun intended.

Always been PREVIOUS salary. It feels odd. But it's as odd as Helfarch being fortunate that Barkley tore his ACL this year, and can re-sign him for 2 yrs at $1m, instead of what could've been $5m+. It's just a nice little good-luck/bad-luck random thing...no pun intended.
Yes, but in that situation Helfy has had the misfortune of having Saquon miss an entire season on his rookie contract - it's almost like compensation for bad luck ;)

UPDATED....only new salary $6m+ could earn comp pick....

Josh Allen $8m - arakaan (tho off-contract rookie, will allow it for them)
Davante Adams $7m - dixie flatline
Derrick Henry $7m - drd23 (ahhh now i see why drd23 raised the issue ;) )
Ryan Tannehill $7m - j shuttlesworth
Aaron Rodgers $8m - shinyontop
Lamar Jackson $6m - 00stinger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back