Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Hi, I'm new to fantasy as RDT is my preference.
I thought I would give it a go but I am struggling to figure out the purpose of selecting the utility when completing my side.
Can someone explain what's the purpose a the utility.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
I thought I would give it a go but I am struggling to figure out the purpose of selecting the utility when completing my side.

It's a bit of an anomaly really, but it gives you a bit of extra positional flexibility, particularly come the bye rounds. Typically, people use if for DPP players (assuming they actually exist and are playing), so if there is some doubt on a player - you could have an extra option to come into replace someone who is a late out.

For example, I currently have a R/F in my utility spot (largely due to autofill !!) - so if my R3 isn't playing - I could use the utility as a backup ruck.
If - I have injury/trade issues and have a potential forward missing, the same player could cover in the forwards.

There might be others who can explain further tactics and uses of it, I really didn't utilise it well last year....

bl4ke

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
I just view it as another spot for cash generation. Best rookie I can afford (likely to make the most cash) after I've selected my team, gets the spot for me.

May 4, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hey Coots. Use to frequest the RDT board quite a bit until my mates/cash league switched to AFL fantasy.

Like a lot of people have said, treat it as a spot for cash generation (3rd mid bench spot). It actually is better than the RDT 3rd midbench spot as you're not limited to just midfielders and provides a lot of flexibility.

This article is pretty good explaining how it works.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Hey Coots. Use to frequest the RDT board quite a bit until my mates/cash league switched to AFL fantasy.

Like a lot of people have said, treat it as a spot for cash generation (3rd mid bench spot). It actually is better than the RDT 3rd midbench spot as you're not limited to just midfielders and provides a lot of flexibility.

This article is pretty good explaining how it works.
Sorry to hear your mates changed to fantasy.
I run two cash leagues in RDT and have a couple of vacancies this year. Let me know if you're interested.

semja778

Draftee
Mar 27, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hey guys,

Currently planning for our fantasy draft with some mates, as we have for the last few years (I won last year, so feeling particularly bullish this year).

Due to a variety of reasons we're unable to all meetup in person on draft night like we normally do, so we're considering other options.

Just wondering, do Fantasy still offer a 'rolling draft' where coaches have an extended period (say, 24 hours) to make their selections, hence a long, drawn out draft ?

For anybody who has done draft this way before, I'd be interested to hear the foibles and follies of this way.

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Hey guys,

Currently planning for our fantasy draft with some mates, as we have for the last few years (I won last year, so feeling particularly bullish this year).

Due to a variety of reasons we're unable to all meetup in person on draft night like we normally do, so we're considering other options.

Just wondering, do Fantasy still offer a 'rolling draft' where coaches have an extended period (say, 24 hours) to make their selections, hence a long, drawn out draft ?

For anybody who has done draft this way before, I'd be interested to hear the foibles and follies of this way.
Yeah that’s a still a thing. Problem with that method is you need to start the draft a few weeks before round 1 to ensure you complete it in time. Some people can be campaigners and take reallllll long with picking once you get to backend picks

semja778

Draftee
Mar 27, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah that’s a still a thing. Problem with that method is you need to start the draft a few weeks before round 1 to ensure you complete it in time. Some people can be campaigners and take reallllll long with picking once you get to backend picks

I was wondering about this, cos theoretically if you set a time limit of say 24 hours for each pick, and campaigners took their full allocated time each pick, you've potentially pushing the draft out past first round fixtures.

I assume there's something set in place to help rush the draft picks through, if need be?

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I was wondering about this, cos theoretically if you set a time limit of say 24 hours for each pick, and campaigners took their full allocated time each pick, you've potentially pushing the draft out past first round fixtures.

I assume there's something set in place to help rush the draft picks through, if need be?
Yeah commissioner is able to push picks through by choosing best available. I would do this and just say to everyone they have 2 hours each pick or something along those lines

bluelad

Team Captain
May 7, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi all,

Where is the best place to find keeper leagues to join? Super keen to give it a crack this year but need to find a dedicated group. Any suggestions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How much emphasis is everyone putting into the new interchange and man on the mark roles when selecting their teams?

This year I’m looking a lot closer at the runner and types that are likely to be involved in link up play and have higher TOG percentage then pure inside Mids.

Current Mids have Gaff, Cogs and Walsh who are all big runners. In defence have Doch and Laird who should benefit from the man on the mark rules and extra chipping style of play I’m expecting.

Am I playing too much into this? Where usually the inside Mids are the big scorers but I think we may see a change now particularly due to the interchange cap. Wingmen who can run all day might be gold

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
How much emphasis is everyone putting into the new interchange and man on the mark roles when selecting their teams?

This year I’m looking a lot closer at the runner and types that are likely to be involved in link up play and have higher TOG percentage then pure inside Mids.

Current Mids have Gaff, Cogs and Walsh who are all big runners. In defence have Doch and Laird who should benefit from the man on the mark rules and extra chipping style of play I’m expecting.

Am I playing too much into this? Where usually the inside Mids are the big scorers but I think we may see a change now particularly due to the interchange cap. Wingmen who can run all day might be gold
No, you're not .....probably greater emphasis on durability, as we see how the 12 day Concussion rest impacts us

We also will have another "Festival Of Footy" ....emphasizing those that can backup with 3-4 day breaks

Will we be back in Hubs .....yeah probably

AFL wants more Goals scored .....who will be the beneficiaries, maybe goal kicking wingmen / midfielders ? ......but it will be a distinctly different game this year

Jul 11, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey Fantasy players,
I just had a few questions I hope you might be able to shed some light on.

I only ever play SC normally, however I have decided to join my mates for a 8 player draft in Fantasy this season.

Can anyone give me some pointers in terms of some of the differences in scoring and how it might change the way I look at players to select..

also With a draft I was told to do some rankings of my own so I have some idea who to choose when on the clock..
how much would this differ from say SC?

cheers

bl4ke

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
Hey Fantasy players,
I just had a few questions I hope you might be able to shed some light on.

I only ever play SC normally, however I have decided to join my mates for a 8 player draft in Fantasy this season.

Can anyone give me some pointers in terms of some of the differences in scoring and how it might change the way I look at players to select..

also With a draft I was told to do some rankings of my own so I have some idea who to choose when on the clock..
how much would this differ from say SC?

cheers
AFL Fantasy is purely just based on stats

Kick, 3 points
Handball, 2 points
Tackle, 4 points
Goal, 6 points
Behind, 1 point
Hit out, 1 point
Free kick against, -3 points
Free kick for, 1 point

That's all there is to it really, where as supercoach has a lot of other factors that manipulate points

leemo

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtic FC, New Orleans Pelicans
Hi everyone
Does anyone have a link to a way to download a spreadsheet of all the players thats possibly a free version?
Starting up a dynasty league this week so i don't need salaries just simply a list of players in excel and their position
Any help would be great

Colonel_Panic

All Australian
Sep 22, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Hi everyone
Does anyone have a link to a way to download a spreadsheet of all the players thats possibly a free version?
Starting up a dynasty league this week so i don't need salaries just simply a list of players in excel and their position
Any help would be great

It's not a download exactly, but if you visit one of the stat-keeping sites (e.g., https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_players) and copy-paste their player list into Excel or Google Sheets you should be able to turn it into what you need with minimal effort.

Coney

Rookie
Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Are there any free spots in AFL Fantasy Draft Leagues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back