Position 2021 Fantasy Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

So maybe more so with how pricing is setup and the best players being slightly inflated based on a reduced game last year meaning they didnt actually play 20% less time and another factor meaning the best players didnt need to rest in different positions as much. When they were on field they were in the thick of the action not resting fwd as much.

My first 3 picked premiums would be T.Adams, Titch and Duncan. I can probably only fit 2 in at the moment and then im going midpricey with guys like Yeo, Rowell who i expect to be ready for round 1

Every year there are plenty of premium mids who are under 10% unique but thats just because its the most saturated position and you cant have them all

I also wonder how many vacant teams there are and if there included in the data. Id say they are

I just can't go Duncan again.

2 years in a row I have grabbed him on the back of 2/3 good scores in a row, only to have him go back to 95 avg scores :(
His issue is he nearly always needs to kick a couple of goals to score 110+. He didn't kick a goal after rd 14 last year and went scores of 85, 71, 66 (not adjusted).
Will he get less opportunities to kick goals with the additions of Cameron and Smith?
My thoughts are a he'll avg about what he's priced at this year.

I just can't go Duncan again.

2 years in a row I have grabbed him on the back of 2/3 good scores in a row, only to have him go back to 95 avg scores :(
His issue is he nearly always needs to kick a couple of goals to score 110+. He didn't kick a goal after rd 14 last year and went scores of 85, 71, 66 (not adjusted).
Will he get less opportunities to kick goals with the additions of Cameron and Smith?
My thoughts are a he'll avg about what he's priced at this year.

You were probably just unlucky to get his worse 2 scores for the year.

All im looking for with my top premiums is a 5% increase in scoring and durability he ticks both boxes plus i cant place Geelong outside the top 2/3. Remember he had an 11 in his season. Take that out and he avg 89.7

Im slightly worried about his role if he goes to more of a half fwd or hakf back role with the inclusions of I.Smith, Higgins and a return of Danger to more of a mid role

Neale 21%
Oliver 5%
Steele 5%
MaCrae 5%
Mitchell 42%
Treloar 5%
Fyfe 5%

So I guess the ownership is spread around a bit!
I wonder how many people don't realise Mitchell's Shoulder isn't 100%

Here's another name that no one is talking about.....Parker!!

Went from 98 to 105 avg last year as played fulltime mid all year with no fwd rotations., a better tap ruckman has to help his game and he is in his prime.
Massive POD and could easily go 110 plus!

Just had a play with my team and swapped out Rowell for Parker so now my mids are...

Adams, Kelly, Taranto, Parker, Hately, (then rooks)
I attribute Parker's jump to when JPK missed his games. Parker shot up without him and then dropped off once he got back from memory - also haven't looked up stats to back this up....

EDIT:

Looked up the stats, the below is when JPK was missing. Went at an average of 97.8 (not adjusted). Games outside of those his average was 79.4 (not adjusted)

7​
$741,000​
110​
14.8​
8​
$736,000​
99​
13.5​
9​
$748,000​
93​
12.4​
10​
$764,000​
79​
10.3​
11​
$769,000​
-​
-​
12​
$772,000​
108​
14.0​

Last edited:
Josh Kelly at 4% ownership is just something i can not pass up on, body always a bit of a concern but his scoring potential is seriously as good as anyone
Currently have him lined up in my team too. Think he’s excellent value and his body doesn’t really concern me too much. Last year he only really missed a few games after a knee to the head from Mummy which you can’t hold against him. Add in the Giants excellent draw to start and he’s a winner for me to start with a bang.
Josh Kelly's previous years

18​
69.7​
18​
73.3​
22​
89.9​
21​
112.9​
15​
108.4​
14​
115.9​
14​
84.8​

No doubting his ability to score but you're almost locking yourself in to having him miss games

Josh Kelly's previous years

18​
69.7​
18​
73.3​
22​
89.9​
21​
112.9​
15​
108.4​
14​
115.9​
14​
84.8​

No doubting his ability to score but you're almost locking yourself in to having him miss games
Excellent work there mate, Kelly is on my never again list

He also went down a bit after his contract

So maybe more so with how pricing is setup and the best players being slightly inflated based on a reduced game last year meaning they didnt actually play 20% less time and another factor meaning the best players didnt need to rest in different positions as much. When they were on field they were in the thick of the action not resting fwd as much.

My first 3 picked premiums would be T.Adams, Titch and Duncan. I can probably only fit 2 in at the moment and then im going midpricey with guys like Yeo, Rowell who i expect to be ready for round 1

Every year there are plenty of premium mids who are under 10% unique but thats just because its the most saturated position and you cant have them all

I also wonder how many vacant teams there are and if there included in the data. Id say they are
No room for gaff?

Excellent work there mate, Kelly is on my never again list

He also went down a bit after his contract
Agree- he has burnt me the last two years in my initial team through him not being on the park. Went neale up Kelly at the last minute last year and it killed me

Upgrade target now only, although he is well priced.....

Agree- he has burnt me the last two years in my initial team through him not being on the park. Went neale up Kelly at the last minute last year and it killed me

Upgrade target now only, although he is well priced.....
I guess unlimited trades you can risk it but it's a wasted trade

Tom Green over Hately?

No room for gaff?

I dont mind Gaff at all. Theres only so many 107+ premiums you can have.

He also had a tonne of TOG. His on field game time probably wasnt too disimilar from his 2020 year to 2019.

I do see a potential +5 point upside and proven durability which ticks the boxes. Hes probably next in if Titch doesnt make round 1 or Duncan is a different role to the midfield.

Gaff vs Adams would be close for me

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont mind Gaff at all. Theres only so many 107+ premiums you can have.

He also had a tonne of TOG. His on field game time probably wasnt too disimilar from his 2020 year to 2019.

I do see a potential +5 point upside and proven durability which ticks the boxes. Hes probably next in if Titch doesnt make round 1 or Duncan is a different role to the midfield.

Gaff vs Adams would be close for me
With less rotations next season, and longer quarters, I really feel that plays into Gaffs hands

I’ve put Treloar back into my side. I know there’s uncertainties, but he’s just so under priced for what he can do. I think he can win the ball wherever he plays on the field

Currently my biggest worry/concern. Sitting at M1 for me at moment for the same reasons. Any dogs fans here shed some light on what they expect his role to be/how other player's roles will affect his scoring?

Midfield Premiums i like

T.Adams - No treloar

Gaff - Reduced rotations helps his running ability, having to play so much away from Optus reduced his scoring

Duncan - 5% upside, durable and never gets tagged. Safe. Role the ? Has an injured 11 in avg

C.Oliver - Petracca rise helps. Melbourne still very shallow for inside mids. Operate with a main 4. Wont get tagged as much with Petracca. Durable aswell

S.Walsh - Just a general incline, dont necessarily think he will get a big bumo in CBAs but can score in all columns

P.Cripps - Underpriced and Durable. The decline of the tagger was meant to help alot last year but it didnt. That might just be a later development.

Fyfe - I think its crazy for freo to play him fwd. Is his defending really that bad. Hes one of the best onballers in the comp. Line him up next to Serong and Brayshaw move Mundy and Walters out with stints in the middle. Underpriced

T.Mitchell - Doesnt need much explanation. The cocnern is how bad the hawks will be this year. A year on from broken leg and playing the whole year with a bung shoulder didnt help his scoring.

H.Mcluggage - Cooled a bit on him with his scoring capabilities. Doesnt tackle enough or find those big disp games enough. Is more an impact player at the moment but in juniors he showed he could find plenty of it.

Taranto - Unders, has shown he can avg 112. I dont think he will get back to that but confident he can be 105-108

Thats about it for me. Not considering too much else premium wise

Midfield Premiums i like

T.Adams - No treloar

Gaff - Reduced rotations helps his running ability, having to play so much away from Optus reduced his scoring

Duncan - 5% upside, durable and never gets tagged. Safe. Role the ? Has an injured 11 in avg

C.Oliver - Petracca rise helps. Melbourne still very shallow for inside mids. Operate with a main 4. Wont get tagged as much with Petracca. Durable aswell

S.Walsh - Just a general incline, dont necessarily think he will get a big bumo in CBAs but can score in all columns

P.Cripps - Underpriced and Durable. The decline of the tagger was meant to help alot last year but it didnt. That might just be a later development.

Fyfe - I think its crazy for freo to play him fwd. Is his defending really that bad. Hes one of the best onballers in the comp. Line him up next to Serong and Brayshaw move Mundy and Walters out with stints in the middle. Underpriced

T.Mitchell - Doesnt need much explanation. The cocnern is how bad the hawks will be this year. A year on from broken leg and playing the whole year with a bung shoulder didnt help his scoring.

H.Mcluggage - Cooled a bit on him with his scoring capabilities. Doesnt tackle enough or find those big disp games enough. Is more an impact player at the moment but in juniors he showed he could find plenty of it.

Taranto - Unders, has shown he can avg 112. I dont think he will get back to that but confident he can be 105-108

Thats about it for me. Not considering too much else premium wise
Kind of tells me it is slim pickings which I already new, its going to be tough to find the right ones at the right price.

Duncan really averaged 116 last year including finals and subtracting an injured 11. Four years of 100+ averages, significant discount.
My brain says this is a good under the radar pick.
Say fantasy hq came out tomorrow and said Merrett would get an $80k discount on his average, we'd all pick him right? Basically what we get with Duncan.

Duncan really averaged 116 last year including finals and subtracting an injured 11. Four years of 100+ averages, significant discount.
My brain says this is a good under the radar pick.
Say fantasy hq came out tomorrow and said Merrett would get an $80k discount on his average, we'd all pick him right? Basically what we get with Duncan.
Duncan is definitely worth considering, fly’s under the radar and just a safe reliable option

it you look at last 10 games, Zerrett is 80k discounted 😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Back