Position 2021 Fantasy Rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Hayes from port may get a few games if Lycett goes down or form/rest. Been on the list a couple years and signed an extension today so assuming there has been some reassurances there for some game time. Very highly rated and will hopefully overtake Lycett as number one over the next 2 years so need to get some games into him.

Hayes from port may get a few games if Lycett goes down or form/rest. Been on the list a couple years and signed an extension today so assuming there has been some reassurances there for some game time. Very highly rated and will hopefully overtake Lycett as number one over the next 2 years so need to get some games into him.
Ladhams would be ahead of him, so he may get 1 or 2 games?

Ladhams should now be a permanent in the 22 regardless. If Lycett goes down or gets rested I think Hayes will come in instead of Ladhams taking the full ruck load
Is ladhams a legitimate option as a forward in fantasy while we're on the topic?

Todd Goldstein - 15:52 Max Gawn - 15:52 Jarrod Witts - 13:02 Reilly O'Brien - 12:55 Tim English - 12:49 Brodie Grundy - 12:46

Average TOG before they needed a break in 2020

Todd Goldstein - 15:52 Max Gawn - 15:52 Jarrod Witts - 13:02 Reilly O'Brien - 12:55 Tim English - 12:49 Brodie Grundy - 12:46

Average TOG before they needed a break in 2020
Watch Goldstein, he needed a break way before that and never got one. (Yes, this is my opinion vs paid & trained medical staff) ;-)
Needing a break and getting a break vastly different, I doubt Zac Merrett needs all the breaks he gets, sometimes it just comes down to rotations and interchange timing not working with breaks in play.

Looks like a few potential underpriced options that will be solo rucks eg.: O Mac, T de Koning, Preuss

Not sure about Draper (will Wright be sharing ruck duties?)

Unless pre-season suggests otherwise, would avoid Hickey (Sinclair), Lycett (Ladhams), English (Martin).

Looks like a few potential underpriced options that will be solo rucks eg.: O Mac, T de Koning, Preuss

Unless pre-season suggests otherwise, would avoid Hickey (Sinclair), Lycett (Ladhams), English (Martin).
I doubt Carlton will ruck De Koning as lone ruck (even though I have him as R3 and would love the $rise so I hope they do)
Everyone's favourite from last year Marc Pittonet surely sees majority ruck time for now.

Essendon will use Wright as a KPF. Probably chop out when Draper needs a rest but that'd be it I think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt Carlton will ruck De Koning as lone ruck (even though I have him as R3 and would love the $rise so I hope they do)
Everyone's favourite from last year Marc Pittonet surely sees majority ruck time for now.
Essendon will use Wright as a KPF. Probably chop out when Draper needs a rest but that'd be it I think

Good to know thanks!

Will be interested to see what Carlton does do, most articles I've seen have Pittonet on the outside looking in. Same as their board (albeit a month ago now).

De Koning and Draper, if they are given that number 1 mantle, will be supported by Pittonet and Phillips as mature rucks.

My concern with those two is that, if they are the preferred ruck, they are still liable to get rested every few weeks, or even against the more powerful rucks of the comp (Gawn, Grundy, Goldy, etc) so they aren’t too exposed

With that in mind, I prefer the more mature options

Don’t know what poor old Grundy has done wrong but for some reason he is clinging on to a spot in my team by the skin of his teeth. The temptation to drop him down to McInerney (with either Preuss or Draper at R2) is tempting me massively. I seem to do this every year with average results, but Marshall is good backup at F1 and I have to say the $300k looks extremely good being spent elsewhere...

Last edited:
Don’t know what poor old Grundy has done wrong but for some reason he is clinging on to a spot in my team by the skin of his teeth. The temptation to drop him down to McInerney (with either Preuss or Draper at R2) is tempting me massively. I seem to do this every year with average results, but Marshall is good backup at F1 and I have to say the $300k looks extremely good being spent elsewhere...
As a Swans supporter do you know how Hickey is tracking in pre season? And if he'll be the main ruck taking ~80% of ruck contests?
historically a low to mid 70s guy and has never really been the sole ruck. If he is I'm pretty sure he goes 80+

It is because his form tanked in finals, and Bucks was throwing Cameron in the ruck over Grundy

As a Swans supporter do you know how Hickey is tracking in pre season? And if he'll be the main ruck taking ~80% of ruck contests?
historically a low to mid 70s guy and has never really been the sole ruck. If he is I'm pretty sure he goes 80+

Haven’t really heard anything about him during the pre season but that’s not surprising for a player of his type (who writes about Hickey when they can write yet another “Callum Mills set for more midfield time” story haha).

But yeah the position is his to lose for my money. Poor old Naismith won’t be seen for 2021 while Sinclair is well and truly on the wane. Sinclair is likely to be played predominantly forward to cover an inevitable injury to either Buddy or Sam Reid (let’s be honest, probably both). Even in the unlikely event that they’re both fit and Sinclair gets pushed out of the forward line I would say he ends up in the NEAFL before he ends up being played as a second ruck.

Long story short I would say only poor form stops Hickey from solo/near-solo rucking and hey if his form is that bad then you will want to be moving him on anyway. Can see plenty of merit in the pick.

Haven’t really heard anything about him during the pre season but that’s not surprising for a player of his type (who writes about Hickey when they can write yet another “Callum Mills set for more midfield time” story haha).

But yeah the position is his to lose for my money. Poor old Naismith won’t be seen for 2021 while Sinclair is well and truly on the wane. Sinclair is likely to be played predominantly forward to cover an inevitable injury to either Buddy or Sam Reid (let’s be honest, probably both). Even in the unlikely event that they’re both fit and Sinclair gets pushed out of the forward line I would say he ends up in the NEAFL before he ends up being played as a second ruck.

Long story short I would say only poor form stops Hickey from solo/near-solo rucking and hey if his form is that bad then you will want to be moving him on anyway. Can see plenty of merit in the pick.
Thanks heaps, thought this was the case. I'll predict his ownership will jump from 1% to 20% by the time the season starts. 25 points of growth here.

Thanks heaps, thought this was the case. I'll predict his ownership will jump from 1% to 20% by the time the season starts. 25 points of growth here.

No worries! I actually think he’ll stay pretty unique for you unless he has a strong showing in his pre season game and Preuss looks ordinary or gets injured and suddenly everybody needs a new bargain R2.

No worries! I actually think he’ll stay pretty unique for you unless he has a strong showing in his pre season game and Preuss looks ordinary or gets injured and suddenly everybody needs a new bargain R2.
Hopefully he gets a really unassuming 75 in his pre season game.

Gone with Draper and Pruess (Fullarton) for now due to byes.

Rd 14 is going to be such a killer if you have Grundy, Gawn, ROB, Marshall or/and Hickey that having a playing ruck or two then might be a winner!!

Of course Draper might get injured by then but would love to be able to carry those two till Rd 15 then upgrade to the best two rucks in one week!!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back