Resource 2021 Financials Thread

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Its coming up soon, so time for a new thread.

Most clubs will report between mid november and the end of the year. AFL reports will come out some time in March.

As always Im grateful to everyone here on Bigfooty and on my twitter feed who has had meaningful contributions in these threads over the last few years. Folks like RussellEbertHandball, Prince Imperial, dave10, Rob have been invaluable with their input over the years, others have assisted with obtaining annual reports in the early years, and still others have assisted with constructive criticism and great questions, particularly Kwality lol

This has always been a colloborative effort. If you see something that is incorrect, please let me know so I can fix it.

Previous Years threads:
Last years Annual Reports
Older Reports and associated Documents Post here.

Trackers

2021 Reports Table

2020 Reports Table

2019 Reports Table

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Congratulations to Simon Garlick for making this financial report available to the club's members for the first time and for saving the Wookie $42!

Another very good club result for 2021 too.

And believe you me im all about that 42 bucks.

edit: spoke too soon. stupid issu. still need to buy for the archive

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Further to the AFL $40 million loss in 2021, I was reading last night the NRL are expecting to make a profit (despite being more affected in 2021), which if that is the case shows how poorly the AFL finances were managed last year.

That made me think (and put my tinfoil hat on), would they have seen last year as a good opportunity to throw money at certain things they might otherwise have put off doing till later, to look to have had a poor year to ward off the likelihood of the Tasmanian expansion vote getting up? It's a PR battle that the AFL can't win, but if the clubs vote it down due to the current financial losses occurring, they can wipe their hands clean of the issue. The vote is occurring this year after all and off the back of a massive financial loss it seems more unlikely to get through, Tasmanian problem solved.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Further to the AFL $40 million loss in 2021, I was reading last night the NRL are expecting to make a profit (despite being more affected in 2021), which if that is the case shows how poorly the AFL finances were managed last year.

That made me think (and put my tinfoil hat on), would they have seen last year as a good opportunity to throw money at certain things they might otherwise have put off doing till later, to look to have had a poor year to ward off the likelihood of the Tasmanian expansion vote getting up? It's a PR battle that the AFL can't win, but if the clubs vote it down due to the current financial losses occurring, they can wipe their hands clean of the issue. The vote is occurring this year after all and off the back of a massive financial loss it seems more unlikely to get through, Tasmanian problem solved.
The NRL has an accountant running the show, who didn't get a leg up from anybody so became an accountant through ability not friends in high places.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The NRL has an accountant running the show, who didn't get a leg up from anybody so became an accountant through ability not friends in high places.

Dude you need to either disguise your trolling better or stay off the industry board.

They both had similar career paths - both employed as outside consultants (Abdo with Deloitte and Mclachlan with Acccenture0.

Abdo was literally promoted from within the NRL. Just like Mclachlan. And everyone knows that Vlandys runs the show at the NRL.

Fun fact: the year Abdo started even going to Rugby League matches, Mclachlan turned down the job of CEO of the NRL (and Liverpool)

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dude you need to either disguise your trolling better or stay off the industry board.

They both had similar career paths - both employed as outside consultants (Abdo with Deloitte and Mclachlan with Acccenture0.

Abdo was literally promoted from within the NRL. Just like Mclachlan. And everyone knows that Vlandys runs the show at the NRL.

Fun fact: the year Abdo started even going to Rugby League matches, Mclachlan turned down the job of CEO of the NRL (and Liverpool)
I was on about Peter V'landys
I don't troll i just state facts

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I was on about Peter V'landys
I don't troll i just state facts

Then you know that while Vlandys has a degree in Commerce - as does Mclachlan (who also has a degree in Law) AND Richard Goyder - and worked briefly for an accountancy firm, he was likely never an actual accountant. And if he was, it wasnt for long - he stopped working in the industry around 1988 (after graduating in 1984 and owning/managing a resturant, as well as working in mining) when he became involved in harness racing.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Is Gill nearing the end? I think over the years he has done a pretty good job but just the past year or so I feel like he has been a bit passive or lost his spark or something. Also I would have liked the AFL to come out of covid stronger but it seems they won't make the most of a disaster and come out of it weaker. Not sure who the next candidate is though but a new set of eyes may be good.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is Gill nearing the end? I think over the years he has done a pretty good job but just the past year or so I feel like he has been a bit passive or lost his spark or something. Also I would have liked the AFL to come out of covid stronger but it seems they won't make the most of a disaster and come out of it weaker. Not sure who the next candidate is though but a new set of eyes may be good.

I don't think any entity can come out stronger (in the present of short-term) but an entity could come out leaner and rationalised for the long-term.
The AFL falls short of breaking the pie up in percentage terms thus stakeholders benefit from success or feel part of the pain.
The AFL has made add hoc adjustments but there needs to be a better algorithm.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon

Still bewildered at how the NRL turned such a massive profit and how the AFL had such a massive loss in 2021. I expected it to be the opposite, their season was more covid interrupted than ours and we have revenue a few hundred million dollars more.

A few more years like this and the AFL will struggle for penetration into NSW and QLD as the NRL will be able to surpass their funding into game development.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Still bewildered at how the NRL turned such a massive profit and how the AFL had such a massive loss in 2021. I expected it to be the opposite, their season was more covid interrupted than ours and we have revenue a few hundred million dollars more.

A few more years like this and the AFL will struggle for penetration into NSW and QLD as the NRL will be able to surpass their funding into game development.

additional Origin series for a start. Less spent on lockdown travels and womens competitions. They also got a 70m lift in additional licensing revenues (which is broadcasting/wagering/merchandise).

Dont really know enough until i see an AFL report.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

After the Covid-19 pandemic resulted in the Crows posting their first deficit since 2014 – a statutory loss of $2.8 million – for the 2020 season, the club announced at its annual members meeting on Tuesday that for the 2021 year it had recorded a statutory operating profit of $1.24 million.

The Crows also announced a cash operating profit of $3.59 million, compared to a loss of $411,675 in 2020.

This was on the back of revenue rising by 25 per cent, to $48.11 million.

The Crows debt is still at $4.5 million but Olsen said the board and senior management had established a plan to eliminate it by 2025.

Olsen said that having a strong balance sheet “had never been more important” with the Crows hoping to establish a new training and administration facility.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
So most of the club's are making a profit this year, but is that due to the afl giving them more money or good business practices? Also it might show football department spending was over the top previously and the current cap is much more sustainable, despite what the club's are requesting.

Also The_Wookie is there a cut off time when the financial reports are released? I'm interested to see the AFL one as mentioned previously as I'm not sure what's better/worse for the game. The clubs making profit and the AFL losing money or vice versa.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
So most of the club's are making a profit this year, but is that due to the afl giving them more money or good business practices? Also it might show football department spending was over the top previously and the current cap is much more sustainable, despite what the club's are requesting.

Also The_Wookie is there a cut off time when the financial reports are released? I'm interested to see the AFL one as mentioned previously as I'm not sure what's better/worse for the game. The clubs making profit and the AFL losing money or vice versa.

Fair bit of creative accounting as required :rolleyes: in 'the not for profit sector.'

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton

A salary cap on football department spending is probably the best decision the AFL have made in 20 years.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Most reports are done by the end of March. Although the Swans one didnt come out until May a year or two ago.

Back