Fixture 2021 Fixture - R19 & R20 confirmed, Saturday twilight (GWS) followed by Friday night footy (Syd)

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
For bitter fans like myself, I’ve put together the booing fixture. Get it in your calander fella’s!
In the days leading up to each game, I recommend drinking a mixture of honey and lemon.
This will soothe the throat, enabling you to boo until the final siren.

Round 2: Essendon vs Fantasia
Round 5: Essendon vs Daniher
Round 7: Essendon vs Saad
I would boo so hard at Joe and Saady. Orazio not so much.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Don't care about the W/L column, all I want to see is a game plan starting to take shape, if we suck and look confused then we need to look for new coaches again and that is scary.

Freo sucked on paper in 2020 but they started to develop an identity, so a season like that is good... I think?
Rutten has so far seemed to have a more instructional, coach-centred approach than Worsfold, who was a more player-centred, 'take the game on' type. I think Rutten's style will start to show this season. We saw it in flashes this year.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I wouldn't say the fixture looks good from a winning games perspective (especially Port and Brisbane away) but its a rebuilding year so it probably doesn't matter. Hawks first up looks like potentially the easiest game of the lot.

That said I echo the sentiments of wanting to see a consistent identity and game style more so than worrying about the results. If we get that - then I think we're a chance of challenging for finals in 2022.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I wouldn't say the fixture looks good from a winning games perspective (especially Port and Brisbane away) but its a rebuilding year so it probably doesn't matter. Hawks first up looks like potentially the easiest game of the lot.

That said I echo the sentiments of wanting to see a consistent identity and game style more so than worrying about the results. If we get that - then I think we're a chance of challenging for finals in 2022.
Our fixture is actually rated the easiest fixture in the AFL when you consider average percentage of each team's double-ups. I believe percentage is a better indicator of quality than wins.

We're playing Collingwood (8th), GWS (10th), Hawthorn (15th), Sydney (16th) and North (17th) twice. That's almost as good as it gets. Despite how s**t we were, we beat all of these teams except GWS, who we lost to by 4 points. Could have won that if not for ump shenanigans. Collingwood, GWS, Hawthorn and North will have a weaker side this year.

Our away games are difficult with Port, Brisbane and West Coast, but Port and Brisbane would beat us in Melbourne anyway so we may as well make that an away game.

We should finish around 11-15 with that fixture, which is higher than I initially thought. I believe we'll make a return to finals in 2022 or 2023 if everything goes right.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Our fixture is actually rated the easiest fixture in the AFL when you consider average percentage of each team's double-ups. I believe percentage is a better indicator of quality than wins.

We're playing Collingwood (8th), GWS (10th), Hawthorn (15th), Sydney (16th) and North (17th) twice. That's almost as good as it gets. Despite how sh*t we were, we beat all of these teams except GWS, who we lost to by 4 points. Could have won that if not for ump shenanigans. Collingwood, GWS, Hawthorn and North will have a weaker side this year.

Our away games are difficult with Port, Brisbane and West Coast, but Port and Brisbane would beat us in Melbourne anyway so we may as well make that an away game.

We should finish around 11-15 with that fixture, which is higher than I initially thought. I believe we'll make a return to finals in 2022 or 2023 if everything goes right.

When i looked at it I could only see the first 6 games. So i guess my timing isn't the best.

Who are ya

Debutant
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
As a Dons man living in Geelong I’m pumped that we finally get to play them down here. Been to a few cats games over the years as the wife follows them and it’s always a ripping day. Hopefully be able to snag a ticket. Also last time we played a competitive match down here we won the flag the same year 😉

We alternate, so I'm guessing it's their year?

Also, don't we split the gate 50:50 anyway so financially the club wouldn't give a sh*t.
Yeah it alternates, the Dreamtime game alternates the other way and I think country game is same as Dreamtime but opposite Anzac Day?

Why is Anzac Day a Collingwood home game again? Was it the only game fans didn't get to go to last year or did I miss something?
Was it our home game in 2020? I thought that was 2019 and 2021. Although if they have switched it it might be something to do with the 150 years club anniversary..? 🤔

We alternate, so I'm guessing it's their year?

Also, don't we split the gate 50:50 anyway so financially the club wouldn't give a sh*t.

No, was their home game this season. Yes the gate is split, but given attendances may be limited it'll be harder for our supporters to get in.

Yeah it alternates, the Dreamtime game alternates the other way and I think country game is same as Dreamtime but opposite Anzac Day?
Was it our home game in 2020? I thought that was 2019 and 2021. Although if they have switched it it might be something to do with the 150 years club anniversary..? 🤔

No, was their home game this season.

No, was their home game this season. Yes the gate is split, but given attendances may be limited it'll be harder for our supporters to get in.

No, was their home game this season.
After some scrounging around it appears that the event was considered cancelled last year due to the season break. I know we still paid tribute when we eventually played Collingwood but it doesn’t appear to count.

The same goes for Richmond/Melbourne on ANZAC eve, Richmond hosted in 2019 and Melbourne will host in 2021 because the 2020 fixture was cancelled (they also alternate).

My optimistic thing (splitting the 50/50's):

Round 1: Hawthorne W
Round 2: Port Adelaide L
Round 3: St. Kilda L
Round 4: Sydney W
Round 5: Brisbane L
Round 6: Collingwood 50/50
Round 7: Carlton 50/50
Round 8: GWS L
Round 9: Fremantle L
Round 10: North Melbourne W
Round 11: West Coast L
Round 12: Richmond L
Round 14: Hawthorne W
Round 15: Melbourne L
Round 16: Geelong L
Round 17: Adelaide W
Round 18: North Melbourne W
Round 19: GWS L
Round 20: Sydney W
Round 21: Western Bulldogs L
Round 22: Gold Coast 50/50
Round 23: Collingwood 50/50

So that's 8-14. More likely to be 6 or 7 honestly

Last edited:

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
My optimistic thing (splitting the 50/50's):

Round 1: Hawthorn3 W
Round 2: Port Adelaide L
Round 3: St. Kilda L
Round 4: Sydney W
Round 5: Brisbane L
Round 6: Collingwood 50/50
Round 7: Carlton 50/50
Round 8: GWS L
Round 9: Fremantle L
Round 10: North Melbourne W
Round 11: West Coast L
Round 12: Richmond L
Round 14: Hawthorne W
Round 15: Melbourne L

Round 16: Geelong L
Round 17: Adelaide W
Round 18: North Melbourne W
Round 19: GWS L
Round 20: Sydney W
Round 21: Western Bulldogs L
Round 22: Gold Coast 50/50
Round 23: Collingwood 50/50

So that's 8-14. More likely to be 6 or 7 honestly
Pretty similar to what I would say except bolded.
I'd have Sydney round 4, Fremantle round 9, Hawthorn round 14 (MCG), Melbourne round 15 and GWS round 19 as 50/50.
I think Gold Coast will be a likely loss, so more 65/35.

8-14 sounds about right.

Pretty similar to what I would say except bolded.
I'd have Sydney round 4, Fremantle round 9, Hawthorn round 14 (MCG), Melbourne round 15 and GWS round 19 as 50/50.
I think Gold Coast will be a likely loss, so more 65/35.

8-14 sounds about right.
Fremantle, Melbourne and GWS will be much better than us next year. I can't even fathom why you'd have Gold Coast is less of a 50/50 than those three.

Fremantle, Melbourne and GWS will be much better than us next year. I can't even fathom why you'd have Gold Coast is less of a 50/50 than those three.
GWS, Melbourne and Freo have either lost players or remained stagnant in the off season by not bringing in much to get excited about. Same as the Sun's really.

However Gold Coasts youth was far more impressive than any other youth in the comp last year for mine. They take that next step they could well play finals. GWS, Melbourne and Freo are similar but I don't see where the improvement comes from. There is potential the Sun's leap frog these teams jammed in the middle.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
We're playing Fremantle and GWS at Marvel. Both tend to struggle playing us there. Likewise, we struggle playing Sydney in Sydney so all of them are 50/50.
I don't really rate Melbourne as a certain loss because they are mentally weak. I have them in the 8, but they're prone to dropping games to lesser sides. They even nearly lost to us this year despite how s**t we were. I think we'll still lose, but it's a 50/50.

Gold Coast at Metricon will be difficult especially with Rowell back because they have probably the best youth in the league. Ben King will tear us to shreds. They'll be too good for us there.

GWS, Melbourne and Freo have either lost players or remained stagnant in the off season by not bringing in much to get excited about. Same as the Sun's really.

However Gold Coasts youth was far more impressive than any other youth in the comp last year for mine. They take that next step they could well play finals. GWS, Melbourne and Freo are similar but I don't see where the improvement comes from. There is potential the Sun's leap frog these teams jammed in the middle.
Fremantle had guys like Hamling, Logue and Pearce play 5 games between them. That's half their best defence. Players like Sturt, Serong, Young, Cerra and Brayshaw should all improve. They will be very good next year.
Melbourne haven't lost anyone, added Ben Brown for a bargain price and a couple of small forwards in the draft.
GWS lost a few, yeah. Still, they finished 10 points ahead in a year they underperformed.
We're playing Fremantle and GWS at Marvel. Both tend to struggle playing us there. Likewise, we struggle playing Sydney in Sydney so all of them are 50/50.
I don't really rate Melbourne as a certain loss because they are mentally weak. I have them in the 8, but they're prone to dropping games to lesser sides. They even nearly lost to us this year despite how sh*t we were. I think we'll still lose, but it's a 50/50.

Gold Coast at Metricon will be difficult especially with Rowell back because they have probably the best youth in the league. Ben King will tear us to shreds. They'll be too good for us there.
We beat them by a goal last year with half their defence out. GWS have played us there twice in 4 years with a big win in 2016 and a tight loss. Hardly conclusive stuff, anything before that hardly proves anything.

Back