Fixture 2021 Fixture

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Rounds 1-6 will be revealed before Christmas while Rounds 7-23 will be floating.

I expect a brutal draw for us. I'm guessing our double-ups will be something like this:
Bottom 6: Adelaide
Middle 6: West Coast
Top 6: Richmond, Geelong, Brisbane

Also we should be at home in Round 1 as we travelled in both opening rounds in 2019 and 2020.

So if you want to watch Port play X at the MCG after Rd 6, and want a cheap flight, be prepared to be in Melbourne between Thursday and Tuesday morning of that round.

The rest of the season's match-ups will also be set, however rounds seven to 23 won't include the date, timeslots and choice of TV broadcaster.
That'll last until Dan Andrews points out to Gil that no *er is booking accommodation in Melbourne

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
So if you want to watch Port play X at the MCG after Rd 6, and want a cheap flight, be prepared to be in Melbourne between Thursday and Tuesday morning of that round.

Either that, or book the flights within an hour of the fixture being announced. Usually the airlines are a little slow and take a couple hours before they jack the fees up.

Cheesey Mac

Team Captain
Mar 19, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Sox, Patriots
Floating fixture sucks for travelling fans, hard to plan the season and book flights during a sale/status offer when there is only the vague weekend as a guide... I can see myself going to fewer interstate games going forward if short notice expensive fares is the only real option.

Beyond that though, even for home games, it actually is really disappointing for social and family events during the footy season. I'd finally conditioned a lot of my family and friends to plan their events around the football fixture or not expect me to turn up, now I'll have to half commit with the caveat around the weekend in question (prepare them to be disappointed) or tell them to wait for an answer until the next block of fixturing is done.

I get why they'd do it for TV programming and putting the best games on in primetime, but it does suck.

Footy Matt

All Australian
Feb 11, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Floating fixture sucks for travelling fans, hard to plan the season and book flights during a sale/status offer when there is only the vague weekend as a guide... I can see myself going to fewer interstate games going forward if short notice expensive fares is the only real option.

Beyond that though, even for home games, it actually is really disappointing for social and family events during the footy season. I'd finally conditioned a lot of my family and friends to plan their events around the football fixture or not expect me to turn up, now I'll have to half commit with the caveat around the weekend in question (prepare them to be disappointed) or tell them to wait for an answer until the next block of fixturing is done.

I get why they'd do it for TV programming and putting the best games on in primetime, but it does suck.

They still don’t put the best games on in prime time with a rolling fixture. Otherwise, we would have had a lot more prime time slots this year, being top of the table from round 1 and all.

Either that, or book the flights within an hour of the fixture being announced. Usually the airlines are a little slow and take a couple hours before they jack the fees up.
They have peak periods where you would save bugger all doing it that way compared to 6 to 8 months earlier.

Just buy a flight to every state for every weekend in advance guys, then use the one you need to. Come on. It's not that hard. :footy:
Easy to push buttons but what a waste of money.

This SHOULD ensure teams that do well in a season, but usually get crappy time slots a better deal (rather that no the old Carlton every Friday thing).
Was looking forward to a lot of away days next season though 😢.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Orazio Fantasia should get us an extra couple of Friday Night games.

This SHOULD ensure teams that do well in a season, but usually get crappy time slots a better deal.

tenor.gif

Like our top of the table game of the season match against Richmond this year which was on Foxtel at 4.35pm on a Saturday. This was after the scheduling boss specifically said teams playing well and with an attractive style of play would be rewarded with prime time slots.

We'll get the scraps Channel 7 regurgitate even if we go 22-0.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Should've kept the 17 game season. Less is more.

Not practical at all. In doing so you're reducing revenue opportunities by roughly 22%. That has a flow on effect to the players, coaches, clubs etc through the various revenue streams the AFL generates (largely the TV rights deal).

22 games is a weird amount based only on tradition, and if they really wanted a fair schedule they would go premier league style and play 34 games in a season (home and away), but again that isn't practical either. But to go shorter at a time when the league needs all the revenue it can get simply isn't viable imo.

bringbackbucky

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Not practical at all. In doing so you're reducing revenue opportunities by roughly 22%. That has a flow on effect to the players, coaches, clubs etc through the various revenue streams the AFL generates (largely the TV rights deal).

22 games is a weird amount based only on tradition, and if they really wanted a fair schedule they would go premier league style and play 34 games in a season (home and away), but again that isn't practical either. But to go shorter at a time when the league needs all the revenue it can get simply isn't viable imo.
Less supply would make the product itself more more valuable.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

16 teams (2 less Vic teams), 30 rounds with shorter quarters and couple of 'X games in X days' amongst normal rounds to fit it in not much more than the current normal season would be perfect.

Lower the salary cap.

Footy Matt

All Australian
Feb 11, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Needs to be a 14 team competition. Drop/merge 4 Melbourne based teams to make it look more like a national competition. 26 game H&A season. Keep the 20 minute quarters and coaches just need to think about rotating players more like EPL soccer clubs do in their 38 game season + cup competitions + European competitions. Top 6 finals series. Cut out all the crap. It’s the only way the AFL is going to ever be undisputedly even.

MrChow

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Needs to be a 14 team competition. Drop/merge 4 Melbourne based teams to make it look more like a national competition. 26 game H&A season. Keep the 20 minute quarters and coaches just need to think about rotating players more like EPL soccer clubs do in their 38 game season + cup competitions + European competitions. Top 6 finals series. Cut out all the crap. It’s the only way the AFL is going to ever be undisputedly even.

This would be the right thing to do.

The other option is to relegate 4 Vic AFL clubs to the VFL with the other stand alone clubs. This means we could have a proper national reserves comp.

As a start, any Vic clubs who haven’t won a flag since 2000 should be relegated.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back