Prediction 2021 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre season games

Friday Feb 19 West Coast v St Kilda, Leederville Oval, 440pm.

Thursday March 4 St Kilda vs Geelong Cats, RSEA Park, 7.10pm
Wow we play West Coast and Geelong 3 times each this season. (4 times total for Pts)

With Finals a good possibility of 4 times and if we make the Grand Final could play 1 of them 5 times.

Finished top 6 - what else would expect after the last 3 years being

2018 - rated 12th

2019 - rated 18th

2020 - rated 10th

Its based on a mathematical formula s0 we were bound to cop a penalty for getting better, who'd have guessed!!!

Despite being a chronically over optimistic Saints supporter, I don't think we are ready to win the premiership in 2021 so lets get the really s*** draw out of the way this year, and that almost guarantees us softer ones for the following years.

Just realised we play the entire top 8 away. Just have to laugh at the AFL really. I love how optimistic people are but we got to where we did last year on the back of a favourable fixture. Got lucky with no WA trip, Carlton at Marvel etc. This fixture is an absolute killer for us; I hope we can rise above it and maybe get some luck with top sides dropping off but jeez it will be tough.

Getting wins early will be crucial.

Can't actually believe we accepted this fixture as fair. Accept that there is always a difference in what different sides get but this is insane. The AFL is a joke.
I haven't analyzed it, but it was made clear that equalization was in the toilet.

I take that to mean the big clubs will receive favorable treatment in whatever form, and the smaller clubs will get the shaft.

As long as we're reliant on AFL hand outs we'll continue to be their bitch, pure and simple.

Today it looks like a tough draw. Four weeks into the season....who knows.

I actually think a tough draw could set us up.....it may also mean we don't make finals. But our big issue over the last 10 years has been beating top 4/top 8 teams. A year of slogging it out against the best can do one of two things,

- Really set us up for a strong finals campaign if we make it,
- Give us a great year of experience against the best if we don't.

At this stage, I am backing we can eke out enough wins to at least make the 8 in 2021 no matter who we have to play. We were 5% off beating Richmond in a final last year.

I actually think a tough draw could set us up.....it may also mean we don't make finals. But our big issue over the last 10 years has been beating top 4/top 8 teams. A year of slogging it out against the best can do one of two things,

At this stage, I am backing we can eke out enough wins to at least make the 8 in 2021 no matter who we have to play. We were 5% off beating Richmond in a final last year.
Yep, the one positive you can take is if we make the top 4 with this fixture then we will be well and truly in the mix.

Unfortunately looking at it I think we will struggle to make the 8 unless we improve dramatically. So the challenge is well and truly there I guess.

It's not only about who we play but where we play them. For example we play 12 games at Marvel. Every interstate side we play at Marvel we have to also play away, apart from Freo.

Often the advantage of Marvel as home ground is that you get away games there, but not this year. We have 2.

Anyway I'm not trying to make excuses, it just annoys me that a fixture that is made up can weigh so heavily against us. But as others have said, it's a challenge we need to be up for, and travel shouldn't worry us after last year. But it's also worth remembering we were a kick away from 8th spot.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how much the club is earning to play one of our home games in cairns against Adelaide in round 13
Never a good look if you lose those ones .
And we usually do. Pretty sure that's one of the big factors for us giving up Tassie and NZ

.. we might get a lucky run with the umps ... who knows what could happen ..
The others yeah, nah maybe...but that one is absolutely not going to happen for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't honestly care about the severity of the double ups as a good team will overcome it and we are that good team.

However i would like to point out from last years final eight,

Saints play FOUR other teams
Bulldogs play TWO
Rest play three.

Did Steve Hocking or a doggies supporter make the draw? A numbskull or bias my only conclusions.

Would not be hard to amend. Dogs take one of ours for theirs.

Situation resolved.

We would have requested a bunch of those. Double ups against good sides mean two things:

- When away, we're more likely to be on TV in a good timeslot.
- When home, we'll probably get good crowds.

Like, if you play Gold Coast twice then that's two games which you basically lose money on. But if you play Richmond twice then you've probably $1m ahead just on those two games.

True the draw is tough, however Giants, Melbourne, Essendon and West Coast (Home) are all very winnable and could have us sit 4-0 going into Richmond in Rnd 5

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t know if any off you watch the Champions league in Europe but the way the next opponent is decided is through a draw. They have a winner pod and a runners up pod and one team from each pod plays each other after each stage.

What about something similar to decide the final five teams you had to play in the AFL. You could put 18 clubs in the first pod and draw out of that pod. The 6-6-6 rule could still apply as the top 6 could still play three in that group that you sit in and 1 each out of the other groups. You then spilt the teams again via the 6-6-6 rule and leave them in that pod. Google an image of the champions league draw if this is confusing, it will help.

E.g St Kilda

Have to play three teams out of the first 6, (and can’t draw themselves, obviously)

Rich
Geel
Port
Bris
Coll

One of the next six
WCE
WB
Melb
GWS
Carl
Freo

One of the last six
Ess
GC
Syd
Haw
North
Adelaide

So then you draw three balls from the first six And one from the remaining pods.

So that happens to be;

Port
Bris
Coll
Freo
Adelaide

That is also the nicest draw possible from our position. This system would randomise who you got and, (if it was streamed) could offer more money to the AFL. It would be a fairer and more economical system for the AFL.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back