2021 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

On a weekly basis our beloved Club comes out with fluff pieces about how much it cares about it's members.
Yet we are bombarded with Sunday games, which the membership has roundly condemned, and not so much as a whisper.
Stone motherless silence. or alternatively "wont that be fun"
As Dennis Pagan once said "Don't piss in my pocket and tell me it's raining"
Don't tell us how important we are and do nothing to ensure something as basic as a Saturday game can't be achieved.

It is the horror time slot of the AFL.
Family members with school kids curse it.
Hawthorn Football Club play a dis proportionally large number of Sunday games and yet our representative simply roll over and cop it.

If that's the best you can do, for the members you value so highly, then hang your head in shame.

Get on the email folks and let the club know exactly how you feel
Kennett did come out playing on Mother's day which will no doubt mean we get another one next year

Surprised we still are getting national televised games (v Swans, v Bombers). Is the Essendon game still set the be Silk's 400th or is that off the cards now?

We're probably lucky to get Sunday 3:20 after how dreadful we've been the last couple weeks. Thought for sure they'd have rolled out the Sunday 4:40 or perhaps even found a worse time slot.

If we want good time slots then we need to at least make games entertaining to watch and as fans attend them. We were starting to do that earlier in the season but we've fallen away.

We're probably lucky to get Sunday 3:20 after how dreadful we've been the last couple weeks. Thought for sure they'd have rolled out the Sunday 4:40 or perhaps even found a worse time slot.

If we want good time slots then we need to at least make games entertaining to watch and as fans attend them. We were starting to do that earlier in the season but we've fallen away.
I don't expect home Friday night spots however so far our Melbourne home games have been

Sunday 1.10
Sunday 3.20
Sunday 1.10
Sunday 3.20

Our replacement games have been:
Easter Monday
Saturday 4.35
Saturday 1.45

So the timeslots many supporters prefer to go to have been helping the pockets of other clubs

I don't expect home Friday night spots however so far our Melbourne home games have been

Sunday 1.10
Sunday 3.20
Sunday 1.10
Sunday 3.20

Our replacement games have been:
Easter Monday
Saturday 4.35
Saturday 1.45

So the timeslots many supporters prefer to go to have been helping the pockets of other clubs
I despise Sunday games as much as anyone else. Friday and Saturday nights is where I want to see us. Trying to look at it objectively though, I can't make much of a genuine argument for us to be fixtured on anything but a Sunday at the moment.

We're struggling to play attractive footy and be competitive on a consistent basis. In general as a supporter base we haven't been turning up in person and I don't know about TV numbers but I suspect we're not tuning in as much lately either.

The AFL will fixture based on what makes the league the most amount of money, which is for the greater good of the financial health of the game itself. That's what they should and need to do.

Once we're consistently winning (or at least being super competitive in) games and playing our fast, exciting style for entire games, then I'll be making the argument that we should be getting better time slots. Until then we're where we deserve to be.

The fact we've got non-Sunday games as the away side should be considered a bonus. We're probably costing our opposition money compared to them playing against most other clubs in the same time slot.

It's an interesting contrast as to how Sunday matches are viewed by the AFL. Here Sunday is THE day for the NFL and they don't seem to be having trouble drawing crowds.
The Ess v Haw one hurts. It isn't Ch 7, and they have GWS v Carl Sat night instead.

Rich v Haw is the other one that would have made a difference in $$$ had it been Saturday day or night.

On a weekly basis our beloved Club comes out with fluff pieces about how much it cares about it's members.
Yet we are bombarded with Sunday games, which the membership has roundly condemned, and not so much as a whisper.
Stone motherless silence. or alternatively "wont that be fun"
As Dennis Pagan once said "Don't piss in my pocket and tell me it's raining"
Don't tell us how important we are and do nothing to ensure something as basic as a Saturday game can't be achieved.

It is the horror time slot of the AFL.
Family members with school kids curse it.
Hawthorn Football Club play a dis proportionally large number of Sunday games and yet our representative simply roll over and cop it.

If that's the best you can do, for the members you value so highly, then hang your head in shame.

Get on the email folks and let the club know exactly how you feel
Don’t worry, Jeff will say that we’ve been discriminated against and throw a few more rocks at AFL house.

Should work out well for us.

Don’t worry, Jeff will say that we’ve been discriminated against and throw a few more rocks at AFL house.

Should work out well for us.
Let’s not hijack it into a Kennett debate.
President, CEO, Club representative, I don’t care.
Somebody needs to mount a coherent rational argument, on our behalf, as to why we shouldn’t be continually penalised with the death zone time slot.
Don’t simply post on the clubs website some whoop de doo fluff piece about the fixtures been announced.
How you’ll have to log on and book a ticket despite the membership you’ve paid for (so you wouldn’t have to log on and book a ticket)
Ok I get the Kennett hate but even he went silent on the latest reaming 😡

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be interested in seeing an analysis of games by time slot over the last 20 years. I reckon, on the balance of things, we will have done fairly well with our allocation in prime time. Now we’re crap, we get crap time slots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back