2021 football LEARNINGS™ | NOW: three things I learnt from... Round 6!

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams kicking goals definitely helps make the footy a better spectacle. I'd slowly been losing a love for the game over the past 15 years or so. NFL going past AFL as my favourite sport, but so far this year it's rekindled my love for AFL so much. Can't remember the last time I would be happy to watch any other random game but I am this year. It's good to have it back.

Teams kicking goals definitely helps make the footy a better spectacle. I'd slowly been losing a love for the game over the past 15 years or so. NFL going past AFL as my favourite sport, but so far this year it's rekindled my love for AFL so much. Can't remember the last time I would be happy to watch any other random game but I am this year. It's good to have it back.
3 teams at the top are probably the most attacking sides with Port Adelaide as well. That's probably the shift, the good teams are the ones kicking 100 not just defending and shutting down the game.

1. Doggies are scary good by adding Treloar and Bruce.
2. Langdon and Hunt are making us look quick which I am loving.
3. Port are going to miss Butters and Duursma big time.

1. Doggies are scary good by adding Treloar and Bruce.
2. Langdon and Hunt are making us look quick which I am loving.
3. Port are going to miss Butters and Duursma big time.
Agreed re Port. Was considering having it as one of my learnings too!
They've given Port a good spark in the front half. With them out and Rozee still getting fitness back Port probably drop off over the next few weeks imo. Not sure what their depth is like though.

1. We're actually playing with some recognisable system, a brand even... and it's allowing us to avoid going goalless for long stretches as we have in past years. It also means we can cover for someone like May going down without completely losing our collective s**t.
2. Jack Viney is fit and he still sets the tone for us
3. We still haven't beaten anyone yet - but we've got 16 points to show for it.

1. Our #teamdefence is as good as its been with this group. In 2018 we leaked easy transition goals out the back regularly and just started dropping Gawn back with effect. This year we have Lever and May, Gawn floating back and as mentioned in the weekend commentary, the whole team is contributing defensively. Lots of 1%er efforts - getting back with unrewarded running, chasing and pressuring, wingers filling the holes, fwd pressure stopping the ball bouncing out of F50 which has been another issue. Gus, Spargo, Kozzie massive improvers in this space. We’ll need to bring this to the Ports, Dogs, Tigers, Eagles.

2. Spargo is back to his 2018 form, maybe better. Building from his defensive pressure game he’s getting good opportunities to create and score. Unlucky not to kick a few on the weekend. I couldn’t see him being good enough last year but is going well in a winning side again. Not sure how good he can be, maybe a Jamie Cripps role player at best if he maintains consistency, but nothing wrong with having a Jamie Cripps. WC best 22 for years.

3. The young guys are carrying the old guys. Jones will now cruise to 300, another thing that didn’t look likely end of last season. Jetta is getting by just playing a lock down role each week. Just what you want.

4th one, our fwd conversion rate still has improvement in it. Still inefficient for games we don’t control as long.

ROUND 5 learnings
CONTENDER (27).png
  1. Weid looked really good in the VFL. I'm a lot more confident bringing him in than Brown without disrupting what we've got going on for some reason.​
  2. Squiggle has us losing to Richmond by one point. I just don't think I'd enjoy that so much.​
  3. Proper Gander gives excellent post-event reports.​

Over to you, Melbourne board!

1. 2019 -20 Melbourne is still there wanting to come out,
2. But this team feels different. We can put teams to the sword and kill them off in less than a quarter. We can stop momentum against us and wrestle back control. Those two traits definitely arent 2019-20 Dees.
3. I really enjoyed watching the VFL today. Moreso than I ever have before. I'll echo Headless thoughts on Weid, he looked magnificent, much more advanced in fitness and touch than Brown was.. and a few other of our lesser knowns really impressed me also. The coverage and commentary was brilliant, . Jason Bennett knows how to call a game.

1. 2019 -20 Melbourne is still there wanting to come out,
2. But this team feels different. We can put teams to the sword and kill them off in less than a quarter. We can stop momentum against us and wrestle back control. Those two traits definitely arent 2019-20 Dees.
3. I really enjoyed watching the VFL today. Moreso than I ever have before. I'll echo Headless thoughts on Weid, he looked magnificent, much more advanced in fitness and touch than Brown was.. and a few other of our lesser knowns really impressed me also. The coverage and commentary was brilliant, . Jason Bennett knows how to call a game.
Bennett said that Browns impressive gps numbers were due to his long run up .Snuck that in under his breath . He shits on the 7 so called A team .

1. Forward half connection an ongoing battle and regressed today. Could really cost us against Dogs, Tigers, Port, West Coast level sides.
2. We are probably over reliant on Gawn’s performance around the ground. He’s super consistent, but curious to see what tactics top 4 sides put into him this season and if we can play well without him at his best.
3. There is no footy next Monday as not all states get the carry over ANZAC Day holiday. Shame.

Last edited:
1. Convinced Hunt is a different person this year
2. There’s no better example of the phrase ‘class is permanent’ than Michael Hibberd
3. Jake Lever is a defensive mastermind, and we’d be a bottom six side without he and May

1. Gawn fully cemented as the number one ruck in the comp, not that there was any doubt.
2. Geelong are gone. Imagine winning in an unconvincing manner against Norf at GMHBA. No finals for them, dogshit.
3. Josh Kelly and Toby Greene are freaks, Greene's ability to realise the clock was running out soon and kick the goal quickly, then Josh Kelly's kick was a really difficult one running away from goal, serious class required to finish it off, particularly after playing a s**t game before the goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Can not understate the job D.Burgess has done last season and this one so far . We have never looked this fit and able to run out games.
2. Even a quiet game from Kozzie gets the oppositions defence nervous.
3. T-Mac's goal kicking is back to 2018 form.

1. TMac's set shot routine is clumsly, but more than effective.
2. Pig has at least his year and next left. At least.
3. I'm still not ready to go all-in on Goody. I am more than ready to go all-in on Jason Taylor, however.

Round 8 learnings
CONTENDER (30).png
  1. Luke Jackson is phenomenal. I didn't think at any stage this season I'd feel as comfortable with Jackson in the middle as Gawn, but here we are.​
  2. The race for the final eight this year is going to be very interesting. Presently there's only one game separating Geelong (4th) and St. Kilda (11th).​
  3. We need to work on our first quarters.​

1. Luke Jackson is phenomenal. I didn't think at any stage this season I'd feel as comfortable with Jackson in the middle as Gawn, but here we are.​
  2. The race for the final eight this year is going to be very interesting. Presently there's only one game separating Geelong (4th) and St. Kilda (11th).​
  3. We need to work on our first quarters.​

And can see the Suns or Blues making a push too.

1. Lingers is far tougher in the tackle than I expected. Took Buddy down on his own in Q4 with leverage, excellent technique.
2. Carlton are Melbourne circa 2010. Can play fast, exciting footy that draws the eye but can’t defend worth a damn or play team footy. At some point it will completely blow up.
3. We lack a plan B but it doesn’t really matter. Plan A is designed to soak pressure over and over again. I’ve never seen anything quite like it in the AFL.

In 2018 we were the highest scoring team by some way but had a leaky defence (bottom half of the comp) and copped quite a few beltings throughout the year. Ironically we probably had fewer big losses in 2017, 2019 and 2020 even though we couldn’t score as heavily. Now we’re the stingiest side in the comp and we aren’t putting up huge scores but we’re also ranked sixth for points for. It’s easier to achieve balance with a dominant defence than a dominant offence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back