2021 Formula One Season: Championship Decider Abu Dhabi - Verstappen Wins in a Controversial Race! 🏆 🍾

Remove this Banner Ad

Bugger, s**t news.

Looks like ALO was hit by a car while cycling and is currently in hospital, with two suspected fractures and may miss the start of the 2021 season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dont think there is going to be too much exciting with the car launches this year:'(

Lets hope this gets Dan some podiums

Cars are way too long now, more like a bus.
The cars are longer for a reason, and one of them is safety. I remember Schumacher's accident at Silverstone in 1999; in a modern F1 car he would have suffered minimal injuries, rather than a broken leg. You could argue that Grosjean would not be with us if he was driving a 90s era car in Bahrain last season.

I do admit that the cars are also longer because of the engine rules and the constraints that they impose (energy recovery systems, cooling etc) and of course there is no refueling anymore, so the fuel tank has to be bigger.

That being said, I don't think the size of F1 cars detracts from "the show", my biggest concern is aero development which means the cars can't follow each other on the track. Roll on 2022!

EDIT: EFA

Last edited:
The cars are longer for a reason, and one of them is safety. I remember Schumacher's accident at Silverstone in 1995; in a modern F1 car he would have suffered minimal injuries, rather than a broken leg. You could argue that Grosjean would not be with us if he was driving a 90s era car in Bahrain last season.

I do admit that the cars are also longer because of the engine rules and the constraints that they impose (energy recovery systems, cooling etc) and of course there is no refueling anymore, so the fuel tank has to be bigger.

That being said, I don't think the size of F1 cars detracts from "the show", my biggest concern is aero development which means the cars can't follow each other on the track. Roll on 2022!
1999 was his broken leg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Besides all the valid points Sven points out, I'd argue the width of an F1 car is more of a problem than their length anyway

They seem to have gotten wider in an attempt to make the cars more reliant on mechanical grip, but either forgot or couldn't work out a way to cut down on the downforce generated to go along with that

Besides all the valid points Sven points out, I'd argue the width of an F1 car is more of a problem than their length anyway

They seem to have gotten wider in an attempt to make the cars more reliant on mechanical grip, but either forgot or couldn't work out a way to cut down on the downforce generated to go along with that
Formula 1 cars have become so wide because the rules allow it. As you correctly point out designers will go for maximum width because you can generate more down force with a bigger underfloor.

As far as I know there are no rules for length.

thought daniel was unusually upbeat about his chances this year in the part of the interview i heard on s.e.n.

McLaren were competitive last year and got podiums with a little luck, no reason why with the freeze on development they also cannot figure again, but this time with arguably a better driver than Carlos Sainz in one of the seats.

2022 is possibly Ricciardo's first real shot at a title contending car if this year's off season goes to plan.

Formula 1 cars have become so wide because the rules allow it. As you correctly point out designers will go for maximum width because you can generate more down force with a bigger underfloor.

As far as I know there are no rules for length.

Personally I think the best way to encourage overtaking is to impose rules that reduce the dirty air behind a car - but I'm not an expert so I have little idea how you would go about that, and I don't want to see a track with half a dozen DRS zones.

The cars are longer for a reason, and one of them is safety. I remember Schumacher's accident at Silverstone in 1999; in a modern F1 car he would have suffered minimal injuries, rather than a broken leg. You could argue that Grosjean would not be with us if he was driving a 90s era car in Bahrain last season.

EDIT: EFA

Safety wasn't the driving reason for length. You've mentioned engine and fuel but there is also aero and traction.

The FIA took action the year after Schumis accident by strengthening the forward monocoque.

Grosjean's accident probably wouldn't have happened in a 90s car being not as fast and far lighter. 90s car have an excellent record of mortality excluding 1994.

The cars just look strange from above and the side being so long now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back