2021 Formula One Season: Championship Decider Abu Dhabi - Verstappen Wins in a Controversial Race! 🏆 🍾

there's been rumours to that affect for ages.
They are more than rumours. Honda officially ceases to be a Formula 1 engine supplier at the end of this year. Red Bull has bought the IP to that engine and will produce the engine themselves for the 2022-2024 seasons. Engine development is frozen from 2022 onwards to cater for the Red Bull engine move because Red Bull don't yet have the ability to develop the engine

There are new engine regulations for the 2025 season onwards.

I don't know whether this is speculation or actually going to happen - but an interesting move for both Alpine and Williams. Such a move would mean that Russell would have to move to another Mercedes powered team in 2022 (presumably Mercedes). Latifi has links to Renault (test driver in 2016) and could possibly be retained.

Reportedly, the partnership will consist of Alpine supplying Williams with engines from 2022 and in return, the British will become a customer outfit, providing seats for whoever junior drivers Alpine want to promote to the grid.

In January, Williams announced that they would be increasing their technical partnership with Mercedes from the 2022 season, with gearboxes and other parts being transferred. If a deal with Alpine has indeed been struck, such a partnership will have to end.

Last edited:
also from the speculation mill...

Soymotor quotes Salo as having said: “They suffered from Ferrari’s cheat last year because they had Ferrari engines and were forced to use less fuel, so I think so Alfa Romeo may be in a good position if they can perform at their best in the race this season.”

Sohlberg: “So Ferrari’s getting out a new engine, right?”

Salo: “I don’t know if it’s a new engine but they’re allowed to use it to its full power. They were not allowed last year because of Ferrari.”

If what Salo is saying is true, then the Ferrari engined teams (Ferrari included) could all get a performance boost just because they all may be able to use the engine at full power this year. Such a change could dramatically change the pecking order of the grid....

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
also from the speculation mill...

If what Salo is saying is true, then the Ferrari engined teams (Ferrari included) could all get a performance boost just because they all may be able to use the engine at full power this year. Such a change could dramatically change the pecking order of the grid....

Should be a red hot scrap in the midfield between Ferrari, Aston Martin, Mclaren and Alpine. Hopefully it’s enough to challenge RBR for second.

Should be a red hot scrap in the midfield between Ferrari, Aston Martin, Mclaren and Alpine. Hopefully it’s enough to challenge RBR for second.
IF Ferrari can return to 2019 form they'll be challenging for poles and race wins again. That depends on whether or not a "legalised" Ferrari engine has similar power engines to the contentious power unit of 2019.

It is my understanding that in 2019 Ferrari fooled the fuel flow meter and, as a result, could put more fuel into the engine than was allowed under the regulations. The FIA have since added a 2nd unit to get around the problem. see https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/16...er-targets-ferraris-suspected-aliasing-trick/

Dec 7, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Villa, McLaren F1, ENG
IF Ferrari can return to 2019 form they'll be challenging for poles and race wins again. That depends on whether or not a "legalised" Ferrari engine has similar power engines to the contentious power unit of 2019.

It is my understanding that in 2019 Ferrari fooled the fuel flow meter and, as a result, could put more fuel into the engine than was allowed under the regulations. The FIA have since added a 2nd unit to get around the problem. see https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/16...er-targets-ferraris-suspected-aliasing-trick/
I for one quite enjoyed watching the Ferrari struggling at the back of the pack

I for one quite enjoyed watching the Ferrari struggling at the back of the pack

I detest Ferrari with every fibre of my being but F1 needs them to do somewhat well as their fanbase is probably larger than all others put together (if you counts fans as those with only a passing interest in F1).

If the 2021 Ferrari actually looks like this it will be up there for the worst looking Ferrari colour scheme...

1614427802244.jpeg

The fin looks the same colour as the chassis just behind the front wheels - imo that's just a difference in lighting
There are rumours that Ferrari are going to introduce a two tone colour scheme this year - I thought the phone showed that....

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
I might be in the minority that's fine with the new Mercedes, although it's worse than last year's it is more striking than the silver ones they predominantly used in the hybrid era. I hope they retain the black liveries for future years.

Alpine looks sexy though.

Back