2021 Formula One Season: Championship Decider Abu Dhabi - Verstappen Wins in a Controversial Race! 🏆 🍾

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
A massive fail by RBR on strategy - You never give up track position because of strategy, or otherwise, you have to overtake later in the race which is beset with pitfulls as evidenced by Max's problem on lap 53.
Would have been interesting if he pitted the lap after Lewis on the 1st stop, whether he would have stayed out in front. I think the Hamilton undercut was inevitable but he should have covered him off the next lap.

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
I’d say the positive for RBR is it took an outstanding drive from Hamilton and Mercedes getting their strategy spot on to win the race, and even then they only just held on. They’d have to be confident moving forward.

I had a hunch the tangle he had early on had something to do with it.

Even with that, Ricciardo did fine in his debut race. Bad strategy was the primary culprit for finishing about 20 seconds behind his teammate who we know is fast and now has the benefit of two seasons with McLaren under his belt. With a bit of luck he will get podiums later this season (which would have been his goal when moving to McLaren) - this is not looking the case at Alpine so far based on testing and Round 1.

In the post on Reddit discussing this:

Reminds me of when he won Monaco in a crippled Red Bull. He just deals with stuff. The reason we didn't hear about this damaged floor and downforce issue in Bahrain is because he didn't cry about it like a little bitch on the radio. He just got on with it. Or last year in the Renault where anybody else would be complaining he just said "ok, I'll go faster".

Part of the reason why Ricciardo is almost universally admired. Seems a fun lad off the track, but still fast and aggressive on track (without shunting others off unreasonably), and if he does make a mistake or cops a penalty he takes it on the chin. He'd occasionally tell the team his tires are gone or the pace isn't as good as he hoped, but no carry on about it when that does happen. It also helps he has demonstrated he has the talent to consistently wrangle the best out of his car.

I hope he can get a legitimate podium when we get to Albert Park later this season.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
In the post on Reddit discussing this:

Part of the reason why Ricciardo is almost universally admired. Seems a fun lad off the track, but still fast and aggressive on track (without shunting others off unreasonably), and if he does make a mistake or cops a penalty he takes it on the chin. He'd occasionally tell the team his tires are gone or the pace isn't as good as he hoped, but no carry on about it when that does happen. It also helps he has demonstrated he has the talent to consistently wrangle the best out of his car.

I hope he can get a legitimate podium when we get to Albert Park later this season.
Cut from the Toby price cloth or vice versa given their age.

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
Tsunoda was just superb, can see him quickly becoming my favourite outside of McLaren.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Hey all

I’m real new to F1 always wanted to follow and the Netflix doco really got me up to speed. Watched the Bahrain race, feel like I may be a Verstappen fan and of course ricciardo

My question is, is it easy to bet on races? Is there much value? Is pole position usually the safest bet

I’m aware Hamilton Bottas and Max are the usual favourites most races

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Hey all

I’m real new to F1 always wanted to follow and the Netflix doco really got me up to speed. Watched the Bahrain race, feel like I may be a Verstappen fan and of course ricciardo

My question is, is it easy to bet on races? Is there much value? Is pole position usually the safest bet

I’m aware Hamilton Bottas and Max are the usual favourites most races
Nah Mazepin is gonna mix up the grid and stir things up. He’s way under value. He’s worth a little spin.

A massive fail by RBR on strategy - You never give up track position because of strategy, or otherwise, you have to overtake later in the race which is beset with pitfulls as evidenced by Max's problem on lap 53.
Red Bull had a couple of chances to go with alternative strategies but failed on both of them:

a. When Perez pitted early under the safety car they had a chance to put him onto the hard tyre and see whether or not Perez could've done a one stop race; this kind of information would have been vital for Verstappen later in the race. Putting Perez onto the hard tyre may have forced Mercedes to put Hamilton onto the hard tyre when he first pitted as well.

b. I can understand Verstappen wanting to extend his first stint, but as soon as Red Bull realised he was going to be undercut by Hamilton they should have put Verstappen on a different tyre strategy to Hamilton, probably the hard tyre for his second stint. Then it would have been either Verstappen one stopping or Verstappen on the medium at the end of the race up against Hamilton on the hard.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Red Bull had a couple of chances to go with alternative strategies but failed on both of them:

a. When Perez pitted early under the safety car they had a chance to put him onto the hard tyre and see whether or not Perez could've done a one stop race; this kind of information would have been vital for Verstappen later in the race. Putting Perez onto the hard tyre may have forced Mercedes to put Hamilton onto the hard tyre when he first pitted as well.

b. I can understand Verstappen wanting to extend his first stint, but as soon as Red Bull realised he was going to be undercut by Hamilton they should have put Verstappen on a different tyre strategy to Hamilton, probably the hard tyre for his second stint. Then it would have been either Verstappen one stopping or Verstappen on the medium at the end of the race up against Hamilton on the hard.
Send your resume to RB.
Because you may have a future.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Qualifying at Imola is now an hour earlier so there is no clash with Prince Phillips funeral. 10PM AEST, 8PM AWST. Practice sessions are also an hour earlier

In B4 Red Flags and the session runs over.
So much revision being written about a racist, misogynist, linked to Nazis, old man.
Still, earlier F1 is always a good thing.

Back