2021 Formula One Season: Championship Decider Abu Dhabi - Verstappen Wins in a Controversial Race! 🏆 🍾

Remove this Banner Ad

I swear it was way longer then 4.8 though

Just watched it back on Kayo - pulled up at 2:13:29, left at 2:13:37.

8 seconds stationary - the 4.8 would be the gun maybe.

Lots of technical faults.

Danny Fanboy - His great start saw him get blocked by George and Gasly - could well have been 3rd at turn 2, and run away with Lando like Monza.

McLaren's almost back.

Just watched it back on Kayo - pulled up at 2:13:29, left at 2:13:37.

8 seconds stationary - the 4.8 would be the gun maybe.

Lots of technical faults.

Danny Fanboy - His great start saw him get blocked by George and Gasly - could well have been 3rd at turn 2, and run away with Lando like Monza.

McLaren's almost back.

Weird - I loaded it back and was a different time stamp. Around the 2:13 mark anyway.

Its taken 8 years to get some competition at the top, and then we reset with new regs for next year.....
To be fair, the reset may be the reason why we finally have some competition at the top - Mercedes have pretty much stopped developing the 2021 car, in order to put as many resources as possible into developing the 2022 unit. That's allowed McLaren to close the gap.

Re DR's pit stop, I'd have to rewind the tape but for memory it was either Karhun or Davidson explaining it has something to do with waiting for a green light on the wheel guns?, not so much a box stuff up (on someone elses box stop later on).................... I could be wrong and probably am.

Re DR's pit stop, I'd have to rewind the tape but for memory it was either Karhun or Davidson explaining it has something to do with waiting for a green light on the wheel guns?, not so much a box stuff up (on someone elses box stop later on).................... I could be wrong and probably am.
yes, someone forgot to press the button

Lame that Lando made the wrong decision so Hamilton won but it was a great race. Not as mad as Verstappen offset somehow getting second, he's an absolute weapon.

Was hoping Ric would get a podium but P4 still a good result.

The takeaway from the Lando decision and the Hamilton decision is merely trust in your team.
Mercedes pays for the best and someone made the call that the rain was going to get heavier. The hierarchy at Mercedes believed this person and acted to bring Hamilton in. Hamilton initially questioned the decision but quickly trusted it and reaped the reward.
McLaren had no one who was prepared to call the changing conditions. The hierarchy put it on the driver initially to make the call. When it was to late they tried to make the call. The driver had no trust in the team call.
McLaren are back, but they have along way to go to achieve Mercedes like leadership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sky F1 have come up with another absolutely useless stat to go alongside the tyre wear one they use.
At the start of every race they put up a graphic showing fastest pit stop for the year. This is RB and will remain RB because the rules have changed to ensure slower stops.
Why bother?

The takeaway from the Lando decision and the Hamilton decision is merely trust in your team.
Mercedes pays for the best and someone made the call that the rain was going to get heavier. The hierarchy at Mercedes believed this person and acted to bring Hamilton in. Hamilton initially questioned the decision but quickly trusted it and reaped the reward.
McLaren had no one who was prepared to call the changing conditions. The hierarchy put it on the driver initially to make the call. When it was to late they tried to make the call. The driver had no trust in the team call.
McLaren are back, but they have along way to go to achieve Mercedes like leadership.
However even great orgnaisations like Mercedes make bad calls like they did to Lewis in Hungary (every one else coming in for slick tyres at the race restart)

Was yesterday on Lando then ?

The difference is Mercedes weren’t able to tell Lewis to pit before the race, they weren’t allowed to communicate with him at that point in time so that was on Lewis.

Last night, McLaren were able to talk to Lando and a lack of leadership was evident (not convinced Lando would have listened anyway)

Reminds me of a few years ago at Bathurst when Reynolds was having serious cramps in the car. The engineer should have told him to pit but left it to the driver, and it cost them big time in the end.

Was yesterday on Lando then ?
They aren't the same situation?
In the Hungary situation, the team couldn't contact Hamilton. All the other drivers made the call themselves to change for slicks.
Hamilton decided to stay on the inters.

Last night it's probably six of one, half a dozen of the other. Lando thought he would be fine if the rain maintained, the team could have been more forceful that it would get worse and that inters were the best option.

The difference is Mercedes weren’t able to tell Lewis to pit before the race, they weren’t allowed to communicate with him at that point in time so that was on Lewis.

Last night, McLaren were able to talk to Lando and a lack of leadership was evident (not convinced Lando would have listened anyway)
Norris age was on show last night. A bit young, bit immature. Telling his race engineer to shut up. Of course he was highly stressed, but an older head might have listened to pit wall on the strategy.

I know im biased, but Ricciardo is the most mature person on the radio. Just says "Confirm" whenever they give him a message. Bloke goes into robot mode once the race starts. In a sport of prima donnas he is head and shoulders above the whole field.

They aren't the same situation?
In the Hungary situation, the team couldn't contact Hamilton. All the other drivers made the call themselves to change for slicks.
Hamilton decided to stay on the inters.

Last night it's probably six of one, half a dozen of the other. Lando thought he would be fine if the rain maintained, the team could have been more forceful that it would get worse and that inters were the best option.
Fair enough

There was definitely another race where Mercedes made a bad pit strategy for Hamilton. Was it Monaco ?

The big similarity between Lewis in Hungary and Lando last night is that leading a GP is very different to any other position on the grid. If Lewis pitted in Hungary I’d almost guarantee some others would’ve taken the chance and stayed out, and I think he probably pits if he was 4th on the grid instead of pole.

Lando would’ve pitted last night if he knew for sure Lewis was coming in. Leading a race generally means making the most defensive decision to protect your position in that moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back