2021 Formula One Season: Championship Decider Abu Dhabi - Verstappen Wins in a Controversial Race! 🏆 🍾

Remove this Banner Ad

VTB just a pretty easy day for him. Dan recovered ok but the car was not up to it on this track, I think they got lucky with the strategy. It’s always good to hear Ham whining.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great job by Max I thought, these are the kind of results when things aren't going perfectly that win you the championship.

Hambone will be rallying the team behind him, telling them repeatedly how stupid they are :tearsofjoy:

Lewis was stuffed if he stayed out. Would've finished behind gas and Norris if he did.

Right call to pit him even when it was too late. May aswell bank 5th than risk 7th or worse (a DNF...) chasing an unlikely 3rd.

Boggles the mind Lewis still argues with the team that much. Is it that hard for a driver to understand the team can see alot more than you can?

It's probably why they didn't give him all the info at the end there, they just needed him to comply and get in the pits and be done with it...

LMAO the final DTM race was an absolute farce. I won't spoil the result for anyone wanting to watch it but it was a complete disgrace.

Lewis was stuffed if he stayed out. Would've finished behind gas and Norris if he did.

Right call to pit him even when it was too late. May aswell bank 5th than risk 7th or worse (a DNF...) chasing an unlikely 3rd.

Gasly was 25 secs or so behind when they pitted Lewis. There was only 8 laps left, Ocon may have lost 4 secs in the last lap, but Lewis would have had to lose that pretty much every lap for Gasly to come into play. Even if he loses 2 secs a lap he prob finishes 4th at worst. Would have been risky, but I reckon if Merc knew for sure it wasn't going to rain again, he would have stayed out.

Dan recovered ok but the car was not up to it on this track, I think they got lucky with the strategy.
Lucky in a way as they expected to have more initial pace. With hindsight though the ideal strategy would have been to pit 3-5 laps later.

Lucky in a way as they expected to have more initial pace. With hindsight though the ideal strategy would have been to pit 3-5 laps later.
I think they expected to be a lot quicker on the new tyres, which turned out to be almost identical in pace to the old set (after the graining period). It turned out to be a reasonably successful experiment, with DR picking up 5 positions due to the undercut - going from 16th before his pitstop to 11th after everyone else did theirs, before dropping back down to 13th when the 2nd set went off.

I think they expected to be a lot quicker on the new tyres, which turned out to be almost identical in pace to the old set (after the graining period). It turned out to be a reasonably successful experiment, with DR picking up 5 positions due to the undercut - going from 16th before his pitstop to 11th after everyone else did theirs, before dropping back down to 13th when the 2nd set went off.
Knowing now that the initial pace wasn't there I think the undercut still may have been possible pitting 3-5 laps later. If so, that slight wait would have been ideal as Ricciardo would have had something left at the end to challenge for P9/10 instead of dropping back with off tyres.

I was wondering what would have happened if they waited another 5-7 laps and whether he would have finished in the points.

Gasly was 25 secs or so behind when they pitted Lewis. There was only 8 laps left, Ocon may have lost 4 secs in the last lap, but Lewis would have had to lose that pretty much every lap for Gasly to come into play. Even if he loses 2 secs a lap he prob finishes 4th at worst. Would have been risky, but I reckon if Merc knew for sure it wasn't going to rain again, he would have stayed out.

Lewis was pushing pretty hard for the first 20-30laps.

I'm not sure what Ocon's race was likely (barely noticed him) but I would think Lewis would have had a far worse time than him.
I honestly doubt he'd have even made the end - probability of a puncture or the tyre laminating would have been at unacceptable levels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back