2021 Formula One Season: Championship Decider Abu Dhabi - Verstappen Wins in a Controversial Race! 🏆 🍾

Remove this Banner Ad

Negative rubber left on Ocon's tyre at the end of the race....

Seeing that tyre, I think Mercedes made the right decision to bring in Lewis for that tyre change. It may of cost him 3rd place but when your fighting for championship and given what happen with Norris at the Russian gp with the wrong tyre choice, its better to be safe than taking an unnecessary risk.

Seeing that tyre, I think Mercedes made the right decision to bring in Lewis for that tyre change. It may of cost him 3rd place but when your fighting for championship and given what happen with Norris at the Russian gp with the wrong tyre choice, its better to be safe than taking an unnecessary risk.
I definitely agree. The only mistake Mercedes made was not pitting Hamilton earlier. Botha’s was putting in fastest laps at the end of the race and if Hamilton had been pitted at the same time he would of been doing the same.

Mercedes are arguing that they wanted to put Lewis onto a slick, and that’s why they waited, but the slick crossover point never happened.

Last edited:
Ocon was also losing a crazy amount of time in the final laps, it's no great achievement to make it on one tyre if it gives you a worse result.

Woo hoo!
This time I reckon we will actually have a race.

And I don’t care that we are not first up. 2 races for the teams to settle into the new cars.
Bring it on!

lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking ahead, I think Hamilton will retire within the next couple of years, eighth title or not. He'll want to end his career whilst he's competitive. Once he's gone, Verstappen will have a great opportunity, at least for a few years. Russell needs a few years to realise his potential, assuming he can do so. Leclerc is good but he will also need a bit of time. It will be Max's time to shine.

Looking ahead, I think Hamilton will retire within the next couple of years, eighth title or not. He'll want to end his career whilst he's competitive. Once he's gone, Verstappen will have a great opportunity, at least for a few years. Russell needs a few years to realise his potential, assuming he can do so. Leclerc is good but he will also need a bit of time. It will be Max's time to shine.

A lot comes down to the new era of cars. Whoever comes out of the blocks probably starts the new era of dominance.
You'd have to back Merc and therefore Russell at this point given their focus on 2022.
Redbull / Max will never be far away.

Agree Lewis probably hangs it up at the end of 2022 possibly regardless of an 8th title by then. If they were in the mix he might push on for it in 2023. But he's getting up there. I would think he'll want to pass the torch to Russell on his own terms.
In saying that, there is no shame in continuing on as a veteran in this sport. Actually, support grows for drivers in their twilight years..

Vettel and Alonso both were quite polarizing in their dominate years but have become crowd/fan favourites. Kimi also (I don't remember liking him early on at McLaren).

A lot comes down to the new era of cars. Whoever comes out of the blocks probably starts the new era of dominance.
You'd have to back Merc and therefore Russell at this point given their focus on 2022.

Agree Lewis probably hangs it up at the end of 2022 possibly regardless of an 8th title by then. If they were in the mix he might push on for it in 2023. But he's getting up there. I would think he'll want to pass the torch to Russell on his own terms.
In saying that, there is no shame in continuing on as a veteran in this sport. Actually, support grows for drivers in their twilight years..

Vettel and Alonso both were quite polarizing in their dominate years but have become crowd/fan favourites. Kimi also (I don't remember liking him early on at McLaren).

Vettel, Alonso and to a lesser extent Kimi became more likeable when they went to midfield teams - I'm not sure egomaniac Sir Lewis would ever entertain the idea of not driving a race winning car for the love of the sport or to help build them up.

Vettel, Alonso and to a lesser extent Kimi became more likeable when they went to midfield teams - I'm not sure egomaniac Sir Lewis would ever entertain the idea of not driving a race winning car for the love of the sport or to help build them up.
I get the vettel being unlikeable when he was winning championships. But was alonso unlikeable? I've always been a fan personally even when he was fighting against my favourite driver.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I get the vettel being unlikeable when he was winning championships. But was alonso unlikeable? I've always been a fan personally even when he was fighting against my favourite driver.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I've always loved Alonso personally.

I've seen a few negative opinions based on the 2007 season, but that's mainly from the UK.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back