2021 Formula One Season: Championship Decider Abu Dhabi - Verstappen Wins in a Controversial Race! 🏆 🍾

Remove this Banner Ad

Get in there Lewis!

Great result for the drivers championship, shame Perez wasn't up there to make the constructors just as interesting.

I don't know who is sooking the most, Max for storming off the podium or his salty fan bois in this thread

If you're slowing down to hand the place back - it's probably not optimum to do so while in the middle of the track. It's also probably not advisable to brake in the middle of the track while doing so.

Hamilton was definitely contributing to it though because he wanted the DRS after the turn. I would have written this off as a misunderstanding with no penalties, you get the feeling the stewards handed out a penalty (with no effect on the final standings) because they are getting a bit sick of Verstappen's aggressive and borderline driving.

Let's hope Abu Dhabi goes off without incident (lol) - but there is such a big chance of Senna/Prost Mk II next Sunday...
I normally back VER over HAM, mostly because I have a preference for RBR over Merc.

I thought VER was a bit of a campaigner at times today, but handing back the place should've been enough. Seems the later "collision" was a combo of Max slowing in a really strange place (and degree) and the comms not reaching HAM in time. That being said there was plenty of room for HAM to go past, so it should have been moot. Not sure VER ever really gave the position back the second time, although it seems he voluntarily did the 3rd (which may have been a result of the afore-mentioned 2nd and getting in front of the stewards). HAM then pushing VER wide was just petulant.

The two VER penalties were a bit bizarre - not sure I agree with either, but neither influenced the outcome at all.

TLDR HAM would've won anyway, both were being dickish.

It's all ogre. Anyone who thinks that Mercedes aren't going to sail past everyone on the DRS straights at +20kmh is kidding themselves.

Should F1 return to the Jeddah streets? Leaving aside the political considerations, was the race actually any good? It took forever for racing to happen, what with red flags and VSCs, and two F2 drivers were hospitalised, which only emphasises the danger. Someone said earlier (apologies, I forget who) that the next Saudi race would be at a different venue. From a strictly racing point of view, that's got to be a good thing.

I have a question to put to all, including the F1 broadcasters.
If Verstappens car had suffered a mechanical issue, causing rapid deceleration, and the car following then collides with the car, who is to blame?
These are the best drivers in the world, with supposedly the fastest reaction times. It’s what makes them different from you and me.
It‘s a simple question.

Obviously Max if Lewis hits him.

In all seriousness, the telemetry data apparently showed that Max did break and dropped about 40km/h in a quarter of a second (equivalent to 2.4g of force) hence the penalty. Still, there was plenty of room for Lewis to go around but he was too busy playing funny buggers with the DRS. Red Bull apparently don't agree with it so it might not be the last we hear of it.

Great outcome for the championship. Looking forward to both contenders throwing more toys out of the cot at any opportunity.

Expect Hamilton with the quicker car and more experience to finish on top unless Verstappen punts him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should F1 return to the Jeddah streets? Leaving aside the political considerations, was the race actually any good? It took forever for racing to happen, what with red flags and VSCs, and two F2 drivers were hospitalised, which only emphasises the danger. Someone said earlier (apologies, I forget who) that the next Saudi race would be at a different venue. From a strictly racing point of view, that's got to be a good thing.
Agree with most of the comments - the red flags were a big problem in both F2 and F1. If you had the chance to purpose build a track as they did, not sure why you would make all the walls quite that close. I would argue though that the hospitalisations could've happened on any circuit, that was just some bas luck there.

I have a question to put to all, including the F1 broadcasters.
If Verstappens car had suffered a mechanical issue, causing rapid deceleration, and the car following then collides with the car, who is to blame?
These are the best drivers in the world, with supposedly the fastest reaction times. It’s what makes them different from you and me.
It‘s a simple question.

Normally if a car suffers a mechanical issue, they'd pull off the racing line, and they wouldn't slap on the brakes while in the middle of a straight.

Yes, Hamilton could have done more to avoid him by not playing silly buggers with DRS - but it's still primarily Max's fault and he was duly penalised. There are regulations against erratic driving and brake checking is certainly an example of it.

Personally, I would not have applied any penalty as both cars carried on apparently unaffected by the incident. It's a simple miscommunication that would have been resolved if the race director told Mercedes first that Max will be ordered to move over.

Just watched the race then without knowing the result. Probably the strangest race I’ve seen. I don’t think most of what Max did was that bad, but a lot of it was silly. He knew exactly what he was doing slowing down where he did, Lewis was stupid running into him though.

The only way they both finish next week is if Max is in front. I think he made his intentions pretty clear last night. Bottas really needs to try and get between the two if Mercedes is faster.

Normally if a car suffers a mechanical issue, they'd pull off the racing line, and they wouldn't slap on the brakes while in the middle of a straight.

Yes, Hamilton could have done more to avoid him by not playing silly buggers with DRS - but it's still primarily Max's fault and he was duly penalised. There are regulations against erratic driving and brake checking is certainly an example of it.

Personally, I would not have applied any penalty as both cars carried on apparently unaffected by the incident. It's a simple miscommunication that would have been resolved if the race director told Mercedes first that Max will be ordered to move over.

Nah, if you run in to the back of another car, it's your fault.

fmd Hamilton is meant to be a race car driver, yet he has to wait for permission to pass? What a ridiculous assertion.

Fully expect the FIA to make a statement this week along the lines of “drivers found guilty of reckless driving will be docked championship points.”.
Rules on the run, just like the AFL!
Nah.
Imagine the anticipation next year if something did happen.
Too good of an opportunity for F1 to ca$h in on the rivalry.

Situational. There was nothing Mazepin could do to avoid going into the back of George and there wasn't really any way to avoid the incident at the start of the F2.

fmd Hamilton is meant to be a race car driver, yet he has to wait for permission to pass? What a ridiculous assertion.

Not always. This isn't the Westfield car park.

Brake checking on a straight isn't kosher, mate.

If you're slowing down to hand the place back - it's probably not optimum to do so while in the middle of the track. It's also probably not advisable to brake in the middle of the track while doing so.
Deciding factor for mine.

This season is what happens when petulance collides with petulance.

This season hasn't made me think any higher of Lewis, but it's definitely made me think lower of Max

Telemetry has proven that there was significant slowing from Verstappen's car (according to the report, 69 bar resulting in 2.4g deceleration).

But here you are relying on Helmut Marko of all things.
Wait, he has to allow Hamilton past, but without significantly slowing down?
he slowed down a bit, Hamilton matched him, so he slowed down more (as he was being to,d to let him past immediately).
What else was he suppose to do there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back