Position 2021 Forwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes more sense.
I much prefer the <300k mid prices. You dont require such a big 3 round average to get a bit of cash.
Your asking a lot of Caldwell expecting 100k price increase.

I prefer those as well. Most of them in the forward line.

However one big score from Caldwell, with a decent follow up, say 110 and 85, and he should generate that $100k.
From there, it's only $100k-$150k to upgrade to a fallen premo, even less if there's an injury affected score a'la Whitfield last year.

It's just a matter of picking the right MPM's, on the right line.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I prefer those as well. Most of them in the forward line.

However one big score from Caldwell, with a decent follow up, say 110 and 85, and he should generate that $100k.
From there, it's only $100k-$150k to upgrade to a fallen premo, even less if there's an injury affected score a'la Whitfield last year.

It's just a matter of picking the right MPM's, on the right line.
yup he may. ive just had another look at his stats.
pretty ordinary tbh.
i can understand the hately pick as he has had some good seniors games. Usually you have a decent set of games to look back on for a midpricer.
Impey is a good example. similar stats to caldwell.
you know what your getting for your 200k.
But the way SC raises rookie starting prices after a handful of games ruins these picks.
Caldwell is a prime example of this.

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
yup he may. ive just had another look at his stats.
pretty ordinary tbh.
i can understand the hately pick as he has had some good seniors games. Usually you have a decent set of games to look back on for a midpricer.
Impey is a good example. similar stats to caldwell.
you know what your getting for your 200k.
But the way SC raises rookie starting prices after a handful of games ruins these picks.
Caldwell is a prime example of this.

I don't get the Caldwell pick at all. 20yr old 11 gamer with a top score of 84. To average 90+ would need him to be one of the Bombers top 3-4 mid rotations. He won't get close to 90 being their midfield # 5-6 guy who spends half his on-field time at HF. You're essentially paying 350k for a rookie who'll most likely average 75ish.

Mar 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Supercoach GRIM REAPER!!!!!
I don't get the Caldwell pick at all. 20yr old 11 gamer with a top score of 84. To average 90+ would need him to be one of the Bombers top 3-4 mid rotations. He won't get close to 90 being their midfield # 5-6 guy who spends half his on-field time at HF. You're essentially paying 350k for a rookie who'll most likely average 75ish.

Caldwell to average 100 now. LOL 😄

Last edited:
May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Caldwell to average 100 now. LOL 😄

1614055561170.png

Mar 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Supercoach GRIM REAPER!!!!!
Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I think Caldwell at worst holds his value, with a very good chance of making money. His break even average is 65 which was his average last year in 9 games for GWS. GWS midfield is obviously stacked, especially compared to ours. This year is his first full pre season and his body is prepared for a full season. He'll get plenty of midfield oppurtunity with us and i think he'll be on par with Darcy Parish in our mid/forward rotations and probably scoring wise. Parish is an 85 average and 100k more expensive than Caldwell.

I think Caldwell at worst holds his value, with a very good chance of making money. His break even average is 65 which was his average last year in 9 games for GWS. GWS midfield is obviously stacked, especially compared to ours. This year is his first full pre season and his body is prepared for a full season. He'll get plenty of midfield oppurtunity with us and i think he'll be on par with Darcy Parish in our mid/forward rotations and probably scoring wise. Parish is an 85 average and 100k more expensive than Caldwell.

Makes sense.
If Caldwell can go 80-85, he'll make a little coin and won't cost much to upgrade when the time is right.
Has that handy DPP as well.

As far as mid rotations go, if he shares duties with Parish, that would put him behind only Zerrett, Shiel and McGrath then?

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I think he can easily go 80 and probably a bit more.

90 not out of the question if used as one of the bombers main 6 mids which I think he will be now that Heppell is playing half back.

You're more optimistic than me!

Caldwell's career high score is currently 74. I don't doubt he'll hit a couple of good scores throughout this year, but he hasn't shown a huge capacity to generate points yet.

There's a number of players rotating through that Bombers midfield too, and I'm sure he'll also spend time elsewhere around the ground.

Genuine discussion about this guy though - a far cry from the usual echo chamber on inflated mid-pricers ;)

Edit - Was 84, against last years spooners

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Makes sense.
If Caldwell can go 80-85, he'll make a little coin and won't cost much to upgrade when the time is right.

As far as mid rotations go, if he shares duties with Parish, that would put him behind only Zerrett, Shiel and McGrath then?
Yep. Merrett playing wing a lot more as well. Stringer will attend centre bounces then head back to the forwardline, when he's playing. As you said i see Caldwell as 1 to upgrade when the time is right.

THE SALT

Flagpies 2021
Aug 5, 2018
Leopold 3224
AFL Club
Collingwood
You're more optimistic than me!

Caldwell's career high score is currently 74. I don't doubt he'll hit a couple of good scores throughout this year, but he hasn't shown a huge capacity to generate points yet.

There's a number of players rotating through that Bombers midfield too, and I'm sure he'll also spend time elsewhere around the ground.

Genuine discussion about this guy though - a far cry from the usual echo chamber on inflated mid-pricers ;)

Edit - Was 84, against last years spooners
I think he had an 11 in that avg so should be higher

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Makes sense.

Yep. Merrett playing wing a lot more as well. Stringer will attend centre bounces then head back to the forwardline, when he's playing. As you said i see Caldwell as 1 to upgrade when the time is right.

No midfield time for Dev and Langford this year?

The phony war is nearly over and we will start to see the players strut their stuff inter-club from tomorrow. Apparently the Hawks Dogs clash will be streamed live and available from the Hawks website. The possibles and probables will both play so matches may be shortened.

Some of you better judges can do analysis of the players for us.

Having started on the merits of Green vs Rozee/Rankine which degenerated into a discussion about Caldwell I may stick to boring old Green. Or not!

I'm satisfied with my forward strategy of one premo, Ziebell, Daniher, Impey and two rookies, particularly if Cahill is named.

Only one rookie in the mids and none in defense. Have the option of switching Dusty forward if mid rookies look better.

Significant

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
The phony war is nearly over and we will start to see the players strut their stuff inter-club from tomorrow. Apparently the Hawks Dogs clash will be streamed live and available from the Hawks website. The possibles and probables will both play so matches may be shortened.

Having started on the merits of Green vs Rozee/Rankine which degenerated into a discussion about Caldwell I may stick to boring old Green. Or not!

I'm satisfied with my forward strategy of one premo, Ziebell, Daniher, Impey and two rookies, particularly if Cahill is named.

Only one rookie in the mids and none in defense. Have the option of switching Dusty forward if mid rookies look better.
I don't mind this - might have a play around tonight and see what I can come up with

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
No midfield time for Dev and Langford this year?
I think/hope the coaches have moved on from Dev as a genuine mid like 2018. He was tried at half back last year, i think itll be half forward this year. Langford 70/30 wing/fwd. Despite his size he is an outside mid/lead up type who is a good overhead mark and decision maker when in space. He looked completely lost when we tried to turn him into an inside mid 2 years ago so if we haven't learnt our lesson and try again I'll be pretty disappointed. Its not his jam.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
S

Suspect the game stream is members only. It is for Dogs members.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats

But if no-one "accidentally" got sent the "wrong email" containing said link, it would certainly still only be for Dogs members

giphy.gif

S

Saw a post on Hawks board that our ceo says it is available to all on Hawks website. Some have suggested that the live stream may be for members only but the stream link remains open for replay. Don't know for sure.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Shiel, Parish, Smith, Mcgrath, Merritt, Stringer, Langford, Cox, are all going to rotate mid with Caldwell. Of The CBA's Shiel, Mgrath, Parish are probably the main 3. If Merritt gets more time inside instead of on the wing to try keep him at the dons then he'd be the next after those 3. Smith & Langford probably 50/50 split in the midfield. Caldwell's time in the midfield is still unclear.

Hately is probably a better choice. Laird, Sloane & Crouch the main 3 with Crouch injured. Then Keays, Milera, Hately & Schoenberg. Expect Hately is now going to be 4th in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back