2021 Freo Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the key. If we win all our home games then we only need to win half of our away games to be top four.

Exactly - so we need to beat WCE at least once a season. It has nothing to do with it being WCE, more to do with the yearly double up and the number of wins required for finals.

People here who come in talking about not caring about beating WCE and they only want to win a flag, seem to miss the point that teams who win flags beat most teams they play in their premiership winning season/s.

Exactly - so we need to beat WCE at least once a season. It has nothing to do with it being WCE, more to do with the yearly double up and the number of wins required for finals.

People here who come in talking about not caring about beating WCE and they only want to win a flag, seem to miss the point that teams who win flags beat most teams they play in their premiership winning season/s.
Not necessarily. Freo beat WCE both times in 2006 and the 2nd time smashed us.

I would argue it was a quirk of the finals draw in that we never got to play you in the finals, if we had of played you in a prelim instead of Sydney away it might have been a different premiership winner.

I am not sure you read my post.. if it was mine you were referring to... I said we need to win at least one as to make finals in general it is difficult if you don't at least split your double-up games. If we need to win half or just over half of our games to certain for finals then we cannot afford to drop two to any one team in the competition. As we play WCE twice each season we need to split them at least. I don't care so much about the overall head to head record with them at all.

Having said all that - WCE is in the age demographic of a team that we should start to beat and beat regularly over the next 4-6 years.

I disagree. We play 22 games every season and usually need 12-13 wins to make finals. We’ve proven we can win anywhere, even if we win more at home.

Realistically, except for the second derby in 2015 they would’ve been raging favourites in every game we’ve played them since we last won. When our ladder position improves so will our results against every team. West Coast probably more so given an ageing list.

I disagree. We play 22 games every season and usually need 12-13 wins to make finals. We’ve proven we can win anywhere, even if we win more at home.

Realistically, except for the second derby in 2015 they would’ve been raging favourites in every game we’ve played them since we last won. When our ladder position improves so will our results against every team. West Coast probably more so given an ageing list.

So you pretty much agree with me... even down to the age demographic of their list..

Any team we play twice (if we need to win 55-60% of our games) represents too larger chunk of our games to lose twice against if we are serious about finals. I think you are perhaps arguing because I put the word WCE in my post.

So you pretty much agree with me... even down to the age demographic of their list..

Any team we play twice (if we need to win 55-60% of our games) represents too larger chunk of our games to lose twice against if we are serious about finals. I think you are perhaps arguing because I put the word WCE in my post.
If we say 6 of the 10 double games we'll be around the mark for finals. Doesn't exactly matter which 6 we win - if two of the losses happen to be against West Coast so be it.

If we say 6 of the 10 double games we'll be around the mark for finals. Doesn't exactly matter which 6 we win - if two of the losses happen to be against West Coast so be it.

Exactly - i just think winning the six is more realistic if we at least split each double up. Otherwise we are required to win 6 out of 8 which is a large task.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sorry but who gives a **** about beating West Coast, certainly not compared to any other team anyway.

If someone offered me 13 wins and losing both derbies or 12 wins and winning both derbies I'd take the 13 wins every time.

I know what you're saying from a purely sport performance perspective, winning more games is ultimately a better result, but I like to invest emotionally in my footy and two over the toast is too delicious to pass up :)

On RMX2001 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not going to expect much. Just 2 Fremantle premierships per year for the rest of my life, or till the end of the decade (whichever comes first) - anything else is a bonus.

Would be great for the girls to win the flag to really emphasise this new era of the Fremantle football club.
From there if we keep the bulk of our players on the park we should get to week two of finals.
Long term an AFL premiership is what’s required for the players, the club, the fans and to the greater community to illustrate an all inclusive club with proud indigenous roots is the best future.

Would be great for the girls to win the flag to really emphasise this new era of the Fremantle football club.
From there if we keep the bulk of our players on the park we should get to week two of finals.
Long term an AFL premiership is what’s required for the players, the club, the fans and to the greater community to illustrate an all inclusive club with proud indigenous roots is the best future.
Agreeing with all of that except that I don’t think premierships are required to illustrate an all inclusive club with proud indigenous roots is the best future.

Agreeing with all of that except that I don’t think premierships are required to illustrate an all inclusive club with proud indigenous roots is the best future.
We know that but other clubs might adapt it if we’re successful.
Have you read any bf threads there is still along way to go.
I’ve worded it wrong or you’ve misread it, your implication is quite contrary to my idea.

Last edited:
We know that but other clubs might adapt it if we’re successful.
Have you read any bf threads there is still along way to go.
I’ve worded it wrong or you’ve misread it, your implication is quite contrary to my idea.
Personally I wouldn’t measure a club’s inclusivity or indigenous roots by success in premierships. I’m also not suggesting there isn’t a long way to go.

Personally I wouldn’t measure a club’s inclusivity or indigenous roots by success in premierships. I’m also not suggesting there isn’t a long way to go.
Neither would I
I was referring to some successful vic clubs that in the past think you have to be white and wealthy to succeed.
I’m sorry that’s the way you read it

Clearly we’d all rather support an all inclusive club with proud indigenous roots which wins premierships than an all inclusive club with proud indigenous roots which is unsuccessful?

And that might provide a model of the best future for a football club - certainly better than going out there to win at all costs while destroying people and lives along the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back