Discussion 2021 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Hind playing off HB for the Dons? Hope he goes well.
He is, looking really good. Really think he'll flourish when he's given the opportunity to run and carry.

I'd be annoyed that we got rid of him if we didn't now have a gorgeous mullet breaking the lines off half back

He was drafted as a KPB too. I wanted to chase him, he looked good.
I’ve been disappointed several times by our recruiting.

We could have drafted Jack Riewoldt or chip Frawley but took Armitage who I really didn’t rate, passed on the bont for billings and then to cap it off took Parker over kosi.

Only billings made any sense imo and even then the bont looked fantastic and we deluded ourselves into believing billings would become a genuine mid. It wasn’t only romance, everyone of those guys looked really good and we must have been looking at them.

We could have drafted Jack Riewoldt or chip Frawley but took Armitage who I really didn’t rate, passed on the bont for billings and then to cap it off took Parker over kosi.

Only billings made any sense imo and even then the bont looked fantastic and we deluded ourselves into believing billings would become a genuine mid. It wasn’t only romance, everyone of those guys looked really good and we must have been looking at them.
Membery
Clark
Coffield
Marshal
Howard
Butler
Higgins
Battle
Ryder
Wilkie
Jones
KING
Paton
We have smashed it for a little while now as good as any club going around

Yes it’s been very good recently, it’s just I hate misses when we clearly had the inside run on those 4.
How did we have inside run? They were in the draft like any other player

Think it might be 3 to 5 years for North at a minimum

i was talking to my bro about this. norf changed their list boss. he comes in and they cut seriously hard at the list to the point everyone thinks they need 5 years minimum to be competitive again.

which is quite convenient for old mate luffy, ex champion data (mates with kingy), he just delisted a bunch of players to get him another 1-2 years of tenure and gets the next 3-4 pressure free.

To appease the saints fans who liked those sorts of names, we drafted Winmar, who was really off the radar.

Here is a documentary of David Tenant ,( starring as Ross Lyon ) driving the saints list towards the next decade.

Billings plus his best mate Sinclar > Bont

To appease the saints fans who liked those sorts of names, we drafted Winmar, who was really off the radar.

Here is a documentary of David Tenant ,( starring as Ross Lyon ) driving the saints list towards the next decade.

Billings plus his best mate Sinclar > Bont

Furphy is a good sponsor for us, you really believe we drafted Sinclair as a pony to keep billings happy.

Sinclair was a good cricketer as well so he split his time, being a bit of a late developer from several reports he saw his future more in cricket. He was still good enough to play for the chargers and stood out in his year with port melbourne in the vfl.

Given his grandfather played for the club and his form warranted being drafted it‘s pretty insulting imo.

Billings was ahead of Bont in every mock draft ..... Bont was an absolute reach at the time going top 5
Yep billings was the popular pick no argument there.

The bont did go pick 4 and has been an absolute star, his form and highlights package were good enough to have him rated from very early to pick 15.

Anyway it’s all history now and I’m a billings fan but I’m disappointed we didn’t draft any of the four. I like a good story and a bit of romance in football, I think it sells memberships and gets supporters interested. Higgins being a massive saints man is a case in point, those pictures of him as a kid fire people up and he can play.

All four were rated around where we had picks and we passed on the lot.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would say Rayner has done his ACL

Think I heard earlier today that Rozee has a foot issue likely to keep him out for a while.
Devastating for these kids. 😥

We are unhappy about our injuries. But every game has had some stories of teams getting injuries. Plenty around unfortunately. Depth going to be very important. Bad luck for the Rayner kid.

The shorter pre-season and return to longer quarters is going to put some serious stress on everyone's depth this year. Having a tilt at the flag is gonna need some good management and a fair bit of luck this year, more so than usual.

Always hit and miss in drafting. We got gems like Battle, Paton and it looks like Bytel. Marshall was a rookie, Wilkie a steal as a mature ager and possibly the same with Highmore. Sinclair picked up on the advice of Bilings and is flying.
You will send yourself mental thinking about missed players.

Furphy is a good sponsor for us, you really believe we drafted Sinclair as a pony to keep billings happy.

Sinclair was a good cricketer as well so he split his time, being a bit of a late developer from several reports he saw his future more in cricket. He was still good enough to play for the chargers and stood out in his year with port melbourne in the vfl.

Given his grandfather played for the club and his form warranted being drafted it‘s pretty insulting imo.

I didn't quite think that .
What i heard was that , knowing that Billings knew Sinclair quite well , they discussed him as a rookie choice with Billings, and that it may have helped sway the decision. So more along the lines of Billings convinced them to take a punt on Sinclair.

I didn't quite think that .
What i heard was that , knowing that Billings knew Sinclair quite well , they discussed him as a rookie choice with Billings, and that it may have helped sway the decision. So more along the lines of Billings convinced them to take a punt on Sinclair.

That was how it was reported at the time. Obviously the Saints were keen to rookie. Maybe asked BIllings about his character etc and may have swayed them.
Billings would no more have forced their hand, than his Grandpa playing for the Saints did.

Always hit and miss in drafting. We got gems like Battle, Paton and it looks like Bytel. Marshall was a rookie, Wilkie a steal as a mature ager and possibly the same with Highmore. Sinclair picked up on the advice of Bilings and is flying.
You will send yourself mental thinking about missed players.
In reality there’s very little loyalty or romance left in the AFL.

Despite knowing that most fans still love a father son, relative or local boy story. They get press and help fire up the base. We’ve had so few father sons I hate it when we miss an opportunity to grab one, I feel ripped off Anderson is running around with Gold Coast and Bowey with the dees. I know it’s irrational and I’d be annoyed if every second kid was eligible based on his dad or mum these days playing a couple of games but somehow I still feel ripped off.

Our recruiting has been very good lately and it looks from a small sample as if they’ve had another good year.

Dogs midfield looked very very good yesterday, and this without Treloar. Albeit against a very substandard Melbourne midfield. Their midfield depth may be the best in the business - not that it's helped them much in the last 4 seasons.

Dogs midfield looked very very good yesterday, and this without Treloar. Albeit against a very substandard Melbourne midfield. Their midfield depth may be the best in the business - not that it's helped them much in the last 4 seasons.
I think the new rule changes will help the dogs as they are a run and gun side , it makes it easier for them to play on

I think the new rule changes will help the dogs as they are a run and gun side , it makes it easier for them to play on
For the dogs to be contenders they need there forwards to kick goals and it will all come down to Naughton and Bruce , Geelong is another team who will be up there but having a aging list they will be hoping injuries don't become a problem and the Loins also will need to find some goal kicking forwards who perform every week.
The Tigers have the forward line to contest again - in saying all this there is no reason we are not aiming for the top with the list we have.
If King can average 3 goals a game we will be right in it.

For the dogs to be contenders they need there forwards to kick goals and it will all come down to Naughton and Bruce , Geelong is another team who will be up there but having a aging list they will be hoping injuries don't become a problem and the Loins also will need to find some goal kicking forwards who perform every week.
The Tigers have the forward line to contest again - in saying all this there is no reason we are not aiming for the top with the list we have.
If King can average 3 goals a game we will be right in it.

If he averages 3 a game he'd probably come close to winning the Coleman these days. I think our strength might be a the spread of players who can all contribute a couple on their day. The Hydra like forward set up will trouble most defences IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back