Discussion 2021 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues just find a way to be sh*t 🥰
david-teague-says-sydney-sojourn-will-help-blues-bond-142464.jpg

austin-powers.jpg

Storm Machine on fire
Storm are everything that the Saints aren't
60-0 Jesus Christ storm.

What an awesome start, first two possessions they take it the length of the field for tries. 8 minutes just for the Tigers to touch the ball for the first time, only to turn it over and Storm get their third haha, it's beautiful sport, absolute poetry in motion.

Bellamy is a doyen and they have the best system in the nation. What I'd like to know is do the Storm recruit gun players, or are the recruits nothing that special but the Storm develop them into guns? Or their system make the players look like guns? A bit of everything?

Forget flying to the Himalayas or the USA for a leadership course at Harvard, just sit in with these guys for a month.

Last edited:
Points per game (per team) across the league at Round 14 - 81.97

Points per game (per team) across the league at Round 14 - 80.58

Yet the media still fawning over the great state of the game lol. Man on the mark rule hasn't done anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're all good players, but that's a lot of cap tied to "cherry on top" types who can't necessarily impact games week to week. 40 disposals between the three of them tonight.
Realistically it’s a bit less. Martin 600k, Williams, 800k, Saad, 700k. But add in McGovern on 750k and there’s a good reason their bottom 6 are terrible. But we live in a glass house. Is and Carlton took the exact same path and both have fallen at the sword. Over pay mediocre players on long term salaries can kill a club.

Look back over time and all the successful clubs are self built, then sustained. Positional top up players along the way to fill needs each year while developing the kids.

Last side I can think of that had major success buying a side is North of the 70’s.

Realistically it’s a bit less. Martin 600k, Williams, 800k, Saad, 700k. But add in McGovern on 750k and there’s a good reason their bottom 6 are terrible. But we live in a glass house. Is and Carlton took the exact same path and both have fallen at the sword. Over pay mediocre players on long term salaries can kill a club.

Look back over time and all the successful clubs are self built, then sustained. Positional top up players along the way to fill needs each year while developing the kids.

Last side I can think of that had major success buying a side is North of the 70’s.

Both have their best talent drafted in and haven't worked out a pattern yet. Walsh is a star in the making and last year they gave up Nick Cox to get Saad. Elite stupidity. They are literally the only thing that makes watching us self harm bearable. Both going to do a review, sack a few nobodies and leave the decision makers that stuff everything up in place so that they can ignore the obvious.

I dont think we had any other choice after the disastrous drafting until 2017. I just don't understand how it can be so wrong so consistently

What an awesome start, first two possessions they take it the length of the field for tries. 8 minutes just for the Tigers to touch the ball for the first time, only to turn it over and Storm get their third haha, it's beautiful sport, absolute poetry in motion.

Bellamy is a doyen and they have the best system in the nation. What I'd like to know is do the Storm recruit gun players, or are the recruits nothing that special but the Storm develop them into guns? Or their system make the players look like guns? A bit of everything?

Forget flying to the Himalayas or the USA for a leadership course at Harvard, just sit in with these guys for a month.
Its the system. Look at players like Hynes or the forward who dislocated his elbow, Tom Eisenhuth, a journeyman for years playing great football.
Harry Grant and Brandon Smith with Munster, who misses Cam Smith and Cooper Cronk.
Billy Slater retires, Papenhausen comes in, he is injured Hynes looks just as good.

Then there is players like Olam and the unsung forwards.

The organisation to recognise these players then get them to do their job the Storm way is awesome.

Richo spent some time with him funnily enough. I've heard him on the Howie games podcast. His approach to development seems to be quite simple but just unbelievably ruthless. In a similar vein to that of the All Blacks. The saddest thing for our club is that the Hammils and Powell's etc. shaped our culture on field at least, from there we had the Roo's and Lennys etc to carry it. It's sadly evaporated. We've failed to draft elite players and leaders and then our recruits have failed to hit the mark.

I dont think we had any other choice after the disastrous drafting until 2017. I just don't understand how it can be so wrong so consistently

Why did it take so long to work out that our drafting and recruiting was so bad? It had been way below average since Beverage stepped back from the main job in the early 2000s.

Its the system. Look at players like Hynes or the forward who dislocated his elbow, Tom Eisenhuth, a journeyman for years playing great football.
Harry Grant and Brandon Smith with Munster, who misses Cam Smith and Cooper Cronk.
Billy Slater retires, Papenhausen comes in, he is injured Hynes looks just as good.

Then there is players like Olam and the unsung forwards.

The organisation to recognise these players then get them to do their job the Storm way is awesome.

That's elite systems that allow that. You'd love to work out what they do that's so good. It literally is one soldier out one soldier in with no step back. It's literally as good as any sporting club in any world sport. If you could find that magic formula you would be employed for life.

Geelong and Sydney are the closest thing in AFL. Joel Selwood has missed one finals series since he was drafted. Jack Steven never played in one. Sydney until a year ago had missed one finals series in 17 years or something.

That's elite systems that allow that. You'd love to work out what they do that's so good. It literally is one soldier out one soldier in with no step back. It's literally as good as any sporting club in any world sport. If you could find that magic formula you would be employed for life.

Geelong and Sydney are the closest thing in AFL. Joel Selwood has missed one finals series since he was drafted. Jack Steven never played in one. Sydney until a year ago had missed one finals series in 17 years or something.
My guess is that particular sport is a lot easier to replace players in a system compared to AFL, I’m not an NRL follower so could be speaking blasphemy.

I don’t think any AFL side functions at the same level if you remove 4-5 of their top 10 players, particularly in key areas. Geelong are good at this because they actually have quality to bring in when a player goes down, they’re not subbing Dangerfield for Ed Phillips, they have Narkel or Constable ready to roll. We lose Marshall and replace him with Hunter it doesn’t matter how good your system is, a potato can’t get it done.

My guess is that particular sport is a lot easier to replace players in a system compared to AFL, I’m not an NRL follower so could be speaking blasphemy.

I don’t think any AFL side functions at the same level if you remove 4-5 of their top 10 players, particularly in key areas. Geelong are good at this because they actually have quality to bring in when a player goes down, they’re not subbing Dangerfield for Ed Phillips, they have Narkel or Constable ready to roll. We lose Marshall and replace him with Hunter it doesn’t matter how good your system is, a potato can’t get it done.

True but part of that is that every part of those organisations is professional and solid. Geelong's drafting and list management is as good as it gets. I heard some one say that they had one coach for every 4 players or something before last year and they were giving out clear plans for where and what they were going to do when they were called on. Our list management is still doing one win one out and the upgrades aren't outstandingly better often.

Geelong still play kids who don't perform straight away too, they have done a near full rebuild without dropping down. they back in their players who they believe are worth developing and cut the ones they don't need.

Storm are like Sydney, they run pared back and lean. They have the best staff in the ideal positions like recruiting and drafting and support staff have a lot of responsibility. They don't work with a lot of stodgy extra staff just to fill roles that aren't needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back