Discussion 2021 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm so sick of hearing about Collingwood. I actually want them to get good again so the media can talk about something else for a change.
no then we will hear about collingwood even more than we do now.

But then again nothing should surprise anymore

In Dan Murphys standing in line and lady behind holding a slab and couple of bottles, So i said you go through its ok. She replies what I'm a woman i cant hold this what ever makes you feel good. JESUS CHRIST F*** off b*tch
she said that last bit as well?

Same mate. I had know idea it meant anything apart from meaning ok

I did that circle when i got a birdie at golf the other day LOL

World is really rooted sometimes
I reckon that sign with the arm out and fingers pointing up has been a standard OK gesture for years now, I'd feel comfortable doing that and not expecting people to see that as me signing for the Klan, but I've NEVER seen anyone do it with the fingers pointing down with the hand next to the body like that before. It's a pretty different sign IMO.

But apparently it's all about this game schoolkids play.

I reckon that sign with the arm out and fingers pointing up has been a standard OK gesture for years now, I'd feel comfortable doing that and not expecting people to see that as me signing for the Klan, but I've NEVER seen anyone do it with the fingers pointing down with the hand next to the body like that before. It's a pretty different sign IMO.

But apparently it's all about this game schoolkids play.

So are you suggesting that Jamaine Jones is making a sign to align himself to white supremacists?
Or he doesn't really know what he is doing but the others do because they are white?

That all 3 guys would happily do this whilst in a team photo with NicNat and Tim Kelly?

For probably the first time ever on this forum I can't actually tell which posts on this topic are sarcastic and which are genuine.

So are you suggesting that Jamaine Jones is making a sign to align himself to white supremacists?
Or he doesn't really know what he is doing but the others do because they are white?

That all 3 guys would happily do this whilst in a team photo with NicNat and Tim Kelly?

For probably the first time ever on this forum I can't actually tell which posts on this topic are sarcastic and which are genuine.
Mine is genuine.

this s**t world can get ****ed.

No I'm not saying that.

Anyone looking at this still, posed photo of a group of individuals and who claims to know exactly what those said individuals are thinking, is deluded.

And that applies regardless of whether that person think it's all harmless fun or an indicator of something more sinister.

People will simply believe what they want to believe. And that of course includes me.

But where the alternative is something abhorrent I would want absolute proof before I started making those sort of judgments. And I don't see any in this instance.

Anyone looking at this still, posed photo of a group of individuals and who claims to know exactly what those said individuals are thinking, is deluded.

And that applies regardless of whether that person think it's all harmless fun or an indicator of something more sinister.

People will simply believe what they want to believe. And that of course includes me.

But where the alternative is something abhorrent I would want absolute proof before I started making those sort of judgments. And I don't see any in this instance.

Exactly. I’m happy to be proven wrong to what I believe to be true (and given an article supports my theory) but I would prefer this to be an innocent yet completely idiotic gesture.

anyone drawing a different opinion is no more right or wrong than I am.

I don’t know what I believe any more.

I have 3 Fred Perry polo shirts that I haven’t worn in over a year because I am not sure if they are offensive to some people or if it’s only the black and yellow one that is associated with the proud boys.

I’m also not sure if they are a bit tight for me at the moment due to a little stay at home weight gain, so some people might find that offensive to look at.

First it's fingers up bums.
Now it's fingers pointed down from the front close to groins.

Maybe instead of handball we call it stumpball and just get rid of all fingers from all AFL players since they dunno how to properly use them.

I mean, next we might have lateral pointing and broken knuckles with digits at right angles to denote that in 20 seconds they'll pass wind, there's no end in sight, drastic measures must be taken.

I don’t know what I believe any more.

I have 3 Fred Perry polo shirts that I haven’t worn in over a year because I am not sure if they are offensive to some people or if it’s only the black and yellow one that is associated with the proud boys.

I’m also not sure if they are a bit tight for me at the moment due to a little stay at home weight gain, so some people might find that offensive to look at.

I still can't hear the term "Proud Boys" without thinking it would be a good name for a dance group at the Sydney Mardi Gras.
I'm sure if i wanted to start a right wing hate group i could do better.
Illinois Nazi's come's to mind.

So why do you think Jamaine Jones (a person of colour) would be showing affiliation white supremacists?
I think he made it clear he was wrong mate. Unless I've mistaken the post from earlier on for somebody else's.

Well at least I hope he admitted he was wrong lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night, on AFL 360, On the couch, and footy classified, the top story was Collingwood. Jeez can we have some variety. Yes we know Collingwood are a shambles right now. I don't need to hear different white men talk about Collingwood for 15 minutes a piece.

On Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

They know Collingwood fans will watch it freaking out and non Collingwood fans will just be enjoying the schadenfreude. I never get tired of seeing other fans suffering like we have had to.

Last night, on AFL 360, On the couch, and footy classified, the top story was Collingwood. Jeez can we have some variety. Yes we know Collingwood are a shambles right now. I don't need to hear different white men talk about Collingwood for 15 minutes a piece.
This bloke is purple not white ;)

images

So when I go scuba diving I'm considered a new nazi as that's the sign we use to say we are "ok"......bleedin hell...
I believe you are no longer to give that sign, and when the crew go over to check why you are not indicating you are okay, you then remove your mask and breathing apparatus and verbally tell them you are okay.

Much safer that way.

Well not really...

...the crew will probably cut your air hose and strap a bag of bricks to your wetsuit for wasting their time :grimacing:

I believe you are no longer to give that sign, and when the crew go over to check why you are not indicating you are okay, you then remove your mask and breathing apparatus and verbally tell them you are okay.

Much safer that way.

Well not really...

...the crew will probably cut your air hose and strap a bag of bricks to your wetsuit for wasting their time :grimacing:

I'll make sure to take the new signs poster with me next time to show the crew

20210504184200.jpg

I'll make sure to take the new signs poster with me next time to show the crew

View attachment 1118625
So incredibly ignorant.

It is not the old OK sign. It is purposely inverted and has been adopted by white supremacists.
The truth might be difficult for you but there it is.

Raising your arm.up was an old Romsn salute but was adopted by fascists.

Would you be comfortable footballers doing that to say the Saints crowd who have many Jewish supporters?

Actions mean things. But it is easier to remain ignorant I suppose

So incredibly ignorant.

It is not the old OK sign. It is purposely inverted and has been adopted by white supremacists.

Would you be comfortable footballers doing that to say the Saints crowd who have many Jewish supporters?

Actually it's any OK sign allegedly.
Did you know that thumbs up was the Roman signal for death.....probably should ban that to.
How ignorant of everyone giving thumbs up these days, those Christians that were fed to Lions after that symbol was given will be spinning in their grave.

Maybe these guys could discuss collingwood

View attachment 1118281

Why would you use the picture of Tinky Winky using the Anti LGBTQ Marriage hand sign?

Are you a hater?

/Sarcasm

To try and get this back on topic - Can anyone beat Richmond?

No Dusty, No Prestia, No Vlastuin, Cotchin injured, JRoo non existent, down at half time and still came back to spank the Dogs in 30 mins of football.

Pickett playing the Grigg role in the ruck has given them a very different look and when they fire up they go as hard as anyone.

It's not even a #freekickhawthorn type deal because they are giving away more than they earn. It's almost like they handicap themselves to get the competitive juices going.

If they peak in September again I can't see anyone beating them TBH. Maaaaybe Port if they can get a prelim in Adelaide again. Maaaaybe Sydney if Buddy goes nuts. But the Lions have missed their chances in recent years and the Cats just look a step behind like West Coast.

I think the Dogs key positions will get found out in September. They should send Naughton back now to prepare for the gorillas.

Melbourne are the wild card. They have all the pieces and a game plan that appears to score and defend equally. How will they hold up under the pressure in September?

So incredibly ignorant.

You should listen to people younger than you sometimes Joffa, it may give you a better perspective :)

The players in question are of an age group that played a game where if someone made that symbol and you looked, you got punched. It was a silly high school game that was around when they were growing up and it had been around for years before that, as I am older than them and experienced it myself.

In the image there's also an indigenous player doing it and there's indigenous players standing in that image. The first time I saw the picture I immediately thought about the circle game, if you are of the age group you would've picked up on it pretty much immediately too.

If the intention of the gesture was white supremacy there wouldn't be indigenous players either taking part in it (as seen in the image) or standing there willfully accepting it and not taking issue with it either then or afterwards (as evidenced by no commentary from teammates about it whatsoever or anyone else on opposition teams).

The only ones that took it straight to an issue of racism were those in the media and they did so either disingenuously to get clicks, or they are completely out of touch with people of that age group. Probably a mixture, but if you are mid 30's and under there's a good chance you'd know about it. Depending on the age of the journo it's either one of the two.

Just because a symbol may have multiple meanings doesn't mean one meaning must always supplant the other meaning. Context & intent is important.

With that said, and with the supporting evidence available, if you still believe it was a nod to white supremacy then you are like the journo's reporting on it - either being deliberately disingenuous, or out of touch with people that age.

My opinion is that the media did it deliberately to get clicks knowing full well what the intentions of the gesture were, and that you are just out of touch on this issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back