austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I don't mind the floating fixture idea, but clubs probably hate it and it's murder for fans who actually go to game to plan tickets and so on.

I suppose, if that's the only compromise we have to make for Covid we'll be pretty lucky.

I don't mind the floating fixture idea, but clubs probably hate it and it's murder for fans who actually go to game to plan tickets and so on.

I suppose, if that's the only compromise we have to make for Covid we'll be pretty lucky.
If it becomes popular with the TV rights, this will be permanent. I would gusess that it would be popular. as the better teams would play free to air then

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

totally kills me ... the last three years (except 2020) ive organised for a groups of WA members to trek across to Melbourne to see a saints game generally we lock in that game once the fixture is released and plan our trip so we can visit the club on Friday, head to friday night footy check out the early Saturday game into going to our game on Saturday night before flying back to Perth Sunday arvo so we are good for work Monday ... a floating fixture makes this impossible to pre-plan ...

then when the floating fixture impacts our games here in perth when we dont know if we play Freo or WCE on the Saturday night or arvo or sunday or even the friday night ... means we will be hell rushed to get it all booked and orgainsed before hand ... like most AFL decisions its great for TV but is much harder for people going to the games

totally kills me ... the last three years (except 2020) ive organised for a groups of WA members to trek across to Melbourne to see a saints game generally we lock in that game once the fixture is released and plan our trip so we can visit the club on Friday, head to friday night footy check out the early Saturday game into going to our game on Saturday night before flying back to Perth Sunday arvo so we are good for work Monday ... a floating fixture makes this impossible to pre-plan ...

then when the floating fixture impacts our games here in perth when we dont know if we play Freo or WCE on the Saturday night or arvo or sunday or even the friday night ... means we will be hell rushed to get it all booked and orgainsed before hand ... like most AFL decisions its great for TV but is much harder for people going to the games

would be tough for you.
I also try to get to one away game every couple of years if I’m not doing other travelling and this will make it hard to organise. I don’t think they’ve taken the fans into account at all here.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
would be tough for you.
I also try to get to one away game every couple of years if I’m not doing other travelling and this will make it hard to organise. I don’t think they’ve taken the fans into account at all here.
the AFL are really shooting themselves in the foot somewhat as well as they pre-sell travel packages so how do you do that when you dont know what day the game you are going to is going to be played ?
it works when we have no crowds but if you want people to travel to watch footy you can have a fixture that isnt set in stone ... works great to maximise TV coverage as you can stop tht train wreck that was giving Carlton prime time games when they were woeful as you can set it up tht the best contest game gets the best time slot with a better accuracy ... but for the sake of the extra TV viewers you kill your travel side of the business

the AFL are really shooting themselves in the foot somewhat as well as they pre-sell travel packages so how do you do that when you dont know what day the game you are going to is going to be played ?
it works when we have no crowds but if you want people to travel to watch footy you can have a fixture that isnt set in stone ... works great to maximise TV coverage as you can stop tht train wreck that was giving Carlton prime time games when they were woeful as you can set it up tht the best contest game gets the best time slot with a better accuracy ... but for the sake of the extra TV viewers you kill your travel side of the business
If the ARL do it or, I wonder how it works for them? Or maybe no one goes to interstate games?

Oct 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
If the ARL do it or, I wonder how it works for them? Or maybe no one goes to interstate games?
Have you seen NRL crowd numbers? Nobody goes to local games, let alone interstate ones. And I used to follow the NRL until I moved to Melbourne 20 years ago and discovered AFL and the mighty saints.

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
i think with that game being in pretty much two states its a bit easier as a 2hr flight is nothing and the amount of flights back and forth is not to bad (heck you could drive it) but with the AFL with games in Perth it makes it a bigger issue

SWSainter

Debutant
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
i think with that game being in pretty much two states its a bit easier as a 2hr flight is nothing and the amount of flights back and forth is not to bad (heck you could drive it) but with the AFL with games in Perth it makes it a bigger issue
Looking forward to new direct flights Busselton to Melbourne: AFL Friday night, Saturday night, Bells beach Sat arvo, URBNSURF Sun am on way home. Perfect, if fixture is...fixed.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Unfortunately the 200 people effected with every side don’t stack up to the major benefits of the fixture now being how it will be. It makes sense to do what they are doing and it’s a great time to do it for the saints brand name. I like it.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unfortunately the 200 people effected with every side don’t stack up to the major benefits of the fixture now being how it will be. It makes sense to do what they are doing and it’s a great time to do it for the saints brand name. I like it.
impacts more than 200 people ... the AFL invested big time into the sports travel idea and have been trying to make it work .. this move gives the impression they have given up on that side of their business ... especially when ratings are not an exact indication ..

What the hell is actually going on at Collingwood?

Buckley called out for treating the players like s**t, mass exodus, complete salary cap stuff up, Ned Guy imploding, now McGuire stands down.

What the hell is actually going on at Collingwood?

Buckley called out for treating the players like sh*t, mass exodus, complete salary cap stuff up, Ned Guy imploding, now McGuire stands down.
this will have to be the that buckley gets a premiership (which with their players i don't think so) otherwise with Eddie going that probably will be nearly the end of him.

Back