Discussion 2021 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I worked with a German guy once who had decided to go to some Ashram in India so drove his 2CV Citroen there back in the 90s. He had some incredible photos. It's amazing how many people he didn't know fed him and housed him in places you imagine are pretty hostile. I'd love to do a bit of an adventure trip. One of my cousins did a trek in Kamchatka in Russia, they drop you with a pack and a flare gun to scare bears and you walk your way for weeks across pristine wilderness on your own. I think I'd probably go insane but it would be a pretty intense and interesting.
im currently reading a book about a british guy who hitchhiked from london to Mumbai following the silk road journey through parts on the middle east back in the late 90's ...
i know through my travels often the places that are meant to be the most deadly are often home to the most helpful and generious people ...
i guess its the mindset you enter into when traveling if you aproach it with fer and suspision you will almost certainly find trouble but if you go with the flow and let things unfold around you then you usually get by and have some great stories to tell

im currently reading a book about a british guy who hitchhiked from london to Mumbai following the silk road journey through parts on the middle east back in the late 90's ...
i know through my travels often the places that are meant to be the most deadly are often home to the most helpful and generious people ...
i guess its the mindset you enter into when traveling if you aproach it with fer and suspision you will almost certainly find trouble but if you go with the flow and let things unfold around you then you usually get by and have some great stories to tell

Definitely. Some friends went to Iran a few years ago and said they felt safer there than at home. People were incredibly friendly and generous.

Had a beer with Stewie Loewe last night, he's up here with his family for a holiday. Still the biggest set of hands I've ever seen.

Also the pub I went to afterwards had Saints v North from mid 1997 on the telly. Surprised to see football on the pub TV's up here but even moreso to see us on it.

Had a beer with Stewie Loewe last night, he's up here with his family for a holiday. Still the biggest set of hands I've ever seen.

Also the pub I went to afterwards had Saints v North from mid 1997 on the telly. Surprised to see football on the pub TV's up here but even moreso to see us on it.
Have crossed paths with Stewie through work a few times, one of the genuinely good guys getting around.

Have crossed paths with Stewie through work a few times, one of the genuinely good guys getting around.
I didn't want to be one of those annoying supporters but he was ordering at the bar and I had a few by that point so said stuff it haha

I didn't want to be one of those annoying supporters but he was ordering at the bar and I had a few by that point so said stuff it haha
i might be genralising here but ive found that the guys who are of that "vintage" being out of the game some number of years now they are generally more acceptable to wanting to chat to fans and talk about footy ... its the guys recently retired who tend to want to just go on with their lives without being interupted by fans...
so while i would prob leave say a Goddard or Rooey alone if i saw them in public i would be much more likely to say gday to a Nathan Burke or even a Fraser Gehrig if i saw them out and about ...

i might be genralising here but ive found that the guys who are of that "vintage" being out of the game some number of years now they are generally more acceptable to wanting to chat to fans and talk about footy ... its the guys recently retired who tend to want to just go on with their lives without being interupted by fans...
so while i would prob leave say a Goddard or Rooey alone if i saw them in public i would be much more likely to say gday to a Nathan Burke or even a Fraser Gehrig if i saw them out and about ...

Frankie Peckett took our leading teams event at work a few years back, most I got was a "I see we have a saints fan here" due to the polo I decided to wear that day since it was warm, and the polo is oversized to allow me to breathe.

Also depends on the setting they're in.

Frankie Peckett took our leading teams event at work a few years back, most I got was a "I see we have a saints fan here" due to the polo I decided to wear that day since it was warm, and the polo is oversized to allow me to breathe.

for sure ... and also its about being aware of the situation ... if you are standing at the bar and you see them next to you yeah say gday ... if they are having a romantic dinner for two prob best to let it pass ....

I think it also depends on their mood at the time.

After our last game at Subiaco vs Freo, my wife (still in her full regalia and facepaint) and I headed out to find some dinner, and lobbed into a little Italian joint in Subiaco.

After we were done eating, a chap wandered over from the table next door to us, introduced himself as Todd Ridley (ex. Essendon/Hawthorn/Freo, and Nicky Winmar's MoTY victim in '92), and asked for a photo with my wife.

Really nice chap, had a lot of good stuff to say about Nicky, but did mention he never got a ride in the car, which caused a good chuckle.

One of those nice little memories you put in your box of things which are great about footy.

Peckett is a genuinely friendly guy who loves a chat with fans. It must have been the environment wasn't conducive to reminiscing about footy

Peckett is a genuinely friendly guy who loves a chat with fans. It must have been the environment wasn't conducive to reminiscing about footy

Oh he was plenty chatty, just we didn't chat about footy much.

I was also on "best behviour" as in line for promotion, so you know, is what it was.

for sure ... and also its about being aware of the situation ... if you are standing at the bar and you see them next to you yeah say gday ... if they are having a romantic dinner for two prob best to let it pass ....

Have occasionally seen Gears and his wife having breakfast at a cafe near me. Have smiled at him him once or twice but wouldn’t want to interrupt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it also depends on their mood at the time.

After our last game at Subiaco vs Freo, my wife (still in her full regalia and facepaint) and I headed out to find some dinner, and lobbed into a little Italian joint in Subiaco.

After we were done eating, a chap wandered over from the table next door to us, introduced himself as Todd Ridley (ex. Essendon/Hawthorn/Freo, and Nicky Winmar's MoTY victim in '92), and asked for a photo with my wife.

Really nice chap, had a lot of good stuff to say about Nicky, but did mention he never got a ride in the car, which caused a good chuckle.

One of those nice little memories you put in your box of things which are great about footy.
a while back i had some bobcat work done at my place and the guy doing the job was Troy Polak .. most people will remember his younger brother Graham who went top 5 in the "Super Draft" to Freo then went to Richmond as the player who then got cleaned up by a tram on a pi55y night out ..

any way Troy was drafted by North in 93 he didnt play an actual AFL game but he does tell a ripping yarn about playing a pre-season game against Tony Locket an experiance he reckons was the most frightening time of his life ...
i reckon i spent about 2 hrs chatting to him about footy before i realised i was paying him to dig out the lawn so let him get back to work ...
his take from Grahams recolection of the "Super Draft" is interesting considering who he spoke to pre-draft and how he ended up at Freo...

Have occasionally seen Gears and his wife having breakfast at a cafe near me. Have smiled at him him once or twice but wouldn’t want to interrupt.
i think being in Melbourne the "FAN BOI" thing isnt quite as bad as there are so many AFL players around the traps ... her in WA i do feel for the higher profile guys from the WCE and Freo cause the nuffies dont care about the situation they just interupt and ask for photos/ autographs regardless the situation ...
i remember once seeing a very high profile WA player having breakfast at a CAFE and he was having a fairly lets say firery convo with his then missus ... some peanut mid argument interupts and asks for a photo ... i couldnt believe it

any way Troy was drafted by North in 93 he didnt play an actual AFL game but he does tell a ripping yarn about playing a pre-season game against Tony Locket an experiance he reckons was the most frightening time of his life ...

I reckon an afternoon minding prime Plugger would make most defenders consider retirement ... Dunstall and Ablett would kick a dozen on you, but they were gazelles compared to the runaway rhino that Lockett turned into on the lead.

...do tell?
so as we all know Freo had traded pick 1 to Hawthorn for that draft .. in the lead up to the Draft Graham was touted as the best tall and was talked about being a very early pick .. he spoke to Hawthorn, Us WCE North , geelong and Collingwood in the lead up to the draft aparently we spoke to him only for a short period as there was not much chance we were going to add another tall . WCE had him rated as the second best player in the draft and were looking to bring in height in the draft .. they were pretty clear they were going to bring him in at pick 3 or pick 6 .. Freo with Pick 4 showed little to no interest in him having taken Pavlich a few years earlier and with Longmuir they were pretty set for talls, also with the dockers delisting Troy there was a little bit of "History" there... when the draft day came his manager caught wind that a few changes in mindsets towards the draft had come through and Graham was basically told he was either going to WCE or North the thought was Hawthorn would take Hodge, St Kilda Judd, WCE Polak, Freo Sampi (who they had been super keen on), StK Ball and WCE were keen on Sam Power... things obviosly took a spin when StKilda picked Ball and WCE flipped the script and picked Judd then Freo went off script and picked Polak ...

And we apparently flipped late because we thought Judd's shoulders would get him back past the Perth clubs.

Ball was a born leader and monster inside mid with a burst of pace. Every chance one of them grab him and we end up with an unfit Juddy so let's take Ball and Judd will slide.

Too smart for our own good...

And we apparently flipped late because we thought Judd's shoulders would get him back past the Perth clubs.

Ball was a born leader and monster inside mid with a burst of pace. Every chance one of them grab him and we end up with an unfit Juddy so let's take Ball and Judd will slide.

Quite the converse, snakes do what snakes do, they do not care if they are right or wrong in any situation, that being said, well known Judd had issues with his shoulders back then and I'm opinion that instead of breaking Balls groin, we'd have broken Judds arms instead such was our inability to do literally anything else but watch that car crash happen.

WCE were into Judd big time when we passed on him they couldnt belive thier luck they snapped him up quick smart and with Freo and us to pick next they were jumping for joy as they felt they would get Polak as well ... the fact Freo then switched it up by taking the guy they hadnt even spoken too threw it all in the air ... WCE went against their initial thought of Power and grabbed Sampi. with us being to smart for our own good we had to go to our next best choice that was Xman...

interestingly enough i reckon had we picked Judd with pick two then WCE would have given Ball some consideration at 3 as they felt they were safe to select Polak at pick 6 as neither us or Freo were interested

Remove this Banner Ad

Back