Discussion 2021 General AFL Discussion

I don't disagree with that assessment of Thomas The Tank Engine.

Doesn't make it bad or invalid as a kids story. Not everything needs to align with the current moral majority, or rather these stories were written just after the Second World War by a British vicar - a pretty specific mentality. But we do need to recognise that while white men from standard western backgrounds might feel that there is no problem here, plenty of others see these old tales as uninclusive.

Personally, I don't see why it's a problem bringing it up, but I wouldn't like to see these books banned. Anyone is free to write a story which can hopefully become as beloved as Thomas The Tank Engine.

And ironically it's the old fashioned tea and biscuits while saluting the empire's monarch that is TTs charm in the first place. If TT was an ethical vegan with a body positive message for the no less valid than anyone else despite his propensity to over indulge controller, people wouldn't watch/read it.

You can read things like Enid Blyton to your kids that have some very dated ideas and it won't start them goose stepping around the house while trying to find themselves a wife that wants a career as a domestic slave. I find it demeaning that people think you have to destroy anything that has any links to our less civilised ideas of the past. You can use common sense and we surely aren't that easily suggestible that we can't read in context of the time.....even kids.

My daughter grew up on all the shitty old books I could find and now she's like the morality police, she doesn't want to ban anything challenging though. It didn't seem to ruin her judgement or even taint her ideas.

Roddy Grant

Tier 5 ITK - formerly Indie Rock
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jan 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's exactly what the guys on AFL360 said, almost word for word - who's copying whom?

Man I would like to say great minds think alike but it’s obviously fools seldom differ 😕.

I haven’t watched AFL 360 since the lofty days of Richo as a panelist, sitting there getting redder each week as he had to justify his merit as a head coach to Robbo whilst Whatley looked lustfully into Chris Scott’s eyes

Last edited:
Blokes at high school would strangle each other until just before blackout (the high), but would often pass over into full blackout. Those blokes are now eagles supporters.

hahahahah POTY contender right here

KingsRansom

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
TBH anyone giving it to WCE gets a hall pass. doesn't matter what the topic is or the truth. go as hard as you can!

Little Johnny walked into class and sat down.
The teacher walked in and said "today we are going to learn about football"
"You little beauty" exclaimed Johnny.
"Anyone who is a West Coast supporter put your hand up" said the teacher.

Everyone except Johnny put their hand up.

"You're not an Eagles supporter" asked the teacher.

"No" said Johnny, "I'm a Lions supporter" he added proudly.

"Why?" Asked the teacher, clearly perplexed

"Well my mums a Lions supporter and so is my dad, so I'm a Lions supporter"

"Very well" said the teacher "so tell me, what would happen if your mum was a hooker and your dad was a drug dealer?"

"Then I'd be an Eagles supporter, sir"

Roddy Grant

Jan 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good on Melbourne for securing Petracca on a long term deal.

Bit of a risk if it’s big money for 7 years.....you wouldn’t want him to just relax now like a newlywed and let himself go a bit....actually maybe I would.

If 7 years is what it took to get the deal done then fair enough - you do it. That’s a serious amount of salary cap if he has a couple of long term injuries tho.

Geary Is GOAT

Premiership Player
May 4, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

Bit of a risk if it’s big money for 7 years.....you wouldn’t want him to just relax now like a newlywed and let himself go a bit....actually maybe I would.

If 7 years is what it took to get the deal done then fair enough - you do it. That’s a serious amount of salary cap if he has a couple of long term injuries tho.
They'll need some slick SC management to keep everyone on their list but if they start winning flags like Richmond everyone might take cuts to stay together.

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras

Smart move passing on him at the draft - no way we could have afforded giving him a 7 seven year contract and still be able to pay for Max, Ben, Rowan, Hunter and Jack Steele!!!

7 years on over 1 million a year.... wow!

Collingwood offers Grundy a long term deal over 1 million a season and in the process loses Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips

Melbourne: *hold my beer*

I'd rather pay Petracca that than Grundy. I obviously value rucks a lot less than others but no way I'd pay that for him even at his best. Would rather have kept Treloar and Stephenson. Petracca is probably the best or second best player in the comp and plays close to that Dusty style of bull forward mid that gets s**t done when needed. He's probably the only player we've had access to that you can genuinely whinge about. He's the superstar player we would love right now and was the obvious choice. Compared to paying close to that for Josh Kelly he looks a bargain. Collingwood are supposed to have lost some of those guys to make room for Petracca, if so it's as funny as *.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd rather pay Petracca that than Grundy. I obviously value rucks a lot less than others but no way I'd pay that for him even at his best. Would rather have kept Treloar and Stephenson. Petracca is probably the best or second best player in the comp and plays close to that Dusty style of bull forward mid that gets sh*t done when needed. He's probably the only player we've had access to that you can genuinely whinge about. He's the superstar player we would love right now and was the obvious choice. Compared to paying close to that for Josh Kelly he looks a bargain. Collingwood are supposed to have lost some of those guys to make room for Petracca, if so it's as funny as fu**.
Signing people more than 4 or 5 years on big money is really not a good move - they can get a career ending injury next week and then they suffer through salary cap for years to come.

Last edited:

Pizza Time :D

I'd rather pay Petracca that than Grundy. I obviously value rucks a lot less than others but no way I'd pay that for him even at his best. Would rather have kept Treloar and Stephenson. Petracca is probably the best or second best player in the comp and plays close to that Dusty style of bull forward mid that gets sh*t done when needed. He's probably the only player we've had access to that you can genuinely whinge about. He's the superstar player we would love right now and was the obvious choice. Compared to paying close to that for Josh Kelly he looks a bargain. Collingwood are supposed to have lost some of those guys to make room for Petracca, if so it's as funny as fu**.

Treloar yes, Stephenson no, man is a classic seagull and not entitled to my chippies, he can continue to piss fart around North Melbourne and gawk at train depots for something to HTFU with.

Tracca is way overvalued, people are just gushing because Paddy ended up health stricken that he's best player from that draft, but he's not even best player at the Dees, in the convo sure, but not worth 7 years.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not a lot of truly career ending injuries these days, though obviously Hanners and Sammy Hamill would disagree.
You never know whats around the corner - Roberton would never of thought he would of had heart problems , who would of thought we would lose our draft 1 pick through head knocks and Koby Stevens was another and then there is the guys who get hit with depression like Steven.
We can't forget about Hannerbery , third year at the club and has only managed 13 games.

7 years on over 1 million a year.... wow!
Under a million a season. 6 million to 6.5 over 7 years. Around $860,000 - $930,000 a season.

E78A0375-BAA9-48AC-931F-7E83D9B2318E.jpeg

Roddy Grant

Jan 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not a lot of truly career ending injuries these days, though obviously Hanners and Sammy Hamill would disagree.

Hanners, Koby Stevens, Dylan Roberton, Paddy McCartin, Cam Shenton 😬😬😬.

Okay Shenton was just too good looking to play at AFL level, so that’s more of a curse than an injury.

Petracca does look like a solid bloke though so would be pretty durable you’d think. He hasn’t had a bad injury since that freak basketball injury early on has he?

Treloar yes, Stephenson no, man is a classic seagull and not entitled to my chippies, he can continue to piss fart around North Melbourne and gawk at train depots for something to HTFU with.

Tracca is way overvalued, people are just gushing because Paddy ended up health stricken that he's best player from that draft, but he's not even best player at the Dees, in the convo sure, but not worth 7 years.

Stephenson has played some midfield since moving to North and looks pretty good. You have to remember he was in Hunter Clark's draft year so still a baby.
In a few years the Roos will be laughing at how cheap they got him. He was dominating in his draft year, as good an individual player as you'd see anywhere.

In his one game as a pure mid this year against Port Adelaide he had 33 disposals, 7 marks, 9 CPs, 7 tackles, 5 clearances and kicked 2 behinds....from 75% game time. If he'd done that in a good side people would have jizzed themselves.

Back