Discussion 2021 General AFL Discussion

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
I can't even feel sorry for Gold Coast with this. If that club has any backbone, they'll sack whoever allowed this to happen.
Quite frankly, this is one of those moments where I'm surprised the AFL didn't get involved to tell North to back off.
How many times can they continue to do that for Fold Coast, the mutant love child of AFL exec PRD bonuses?

I can't even feel sorry for Gold Coast with this. If that club has any backbone, they'll sack whoever allowed this to happen.
Quite frankly, this is one of those moments where I'm surprised the AFL didn't get involved to tell North to back off.

It was the Suns playing the system not North.

thinking about this more how *in bad must things be up there. like i get theyve ****ed up, but the circumstances theyre in had to have pushed them down the path to where this event happens:
1) their cap is ****ed and they're desperate for even 180k of space. this is bad, real bad, especially when you consider the next two points,
2) how insecure are they that players wont be poached, that they've spoken to Greenwood and used him as their best available option, rather than someone else. if he's their best option, how bad is the good will amongst the rest of the playing group?
3) how bad is the commitment from the players to the club. they would have spoken to greenwood and his management. he would have given them a solid. only for him to turn around and bail for more cash. he's essentially stabbed them in the back! you can't tell me his management didnt have this up their sleeve.

to put this in comparison, we've had wilkie on the rookie list for 3 years. not once did i ever think he would leave. he would have had good offers too!!!

they're pretty much ****ed trying to keep any crop of draftees together.

dew's lost a best 22 mid. he's cooked before the season has even begun.

Last edited:
How many times can they continue to do that for Fold Coast, the mutant love child of AFL exec PRD bonuses?

Vlad's Spruce Goose. The good news is that Carlton and Gold Coast were expected to improve, both have started to go backwards before the season even started and Collingwood has had their own go at weakening themselves.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Yeah Stewie - whatever you need, I'm with you all the way.

Thanks Hugh - its the thing we've always respected about you - your loyalty and your integrity.

Screen-Shot-2021-11-15-at-14.01.10.jpg

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
thinking about this more how fu**in bad must things be up there. like i get theyve f’ed up, but the circumstances theyre in had to have pushed them down the path to where this event happens:
1) their cap is f’ed and they're desperate for even 180k of space. this is bad, real bad, especially when you consider the next two points,
2) how insecure are they that players wont be poached, that they've spoken to Greenwood and used him as their best available option, rather than someone else. if he's their best option, how bad is the good will amongst the rest of the playing group?
3) how bad is the commitment from the players to the club. they would have spoken to greenwood and his management. he would have given them a solid. only for him to turn around and bail for more cash. he's essentially stabbed them in the back! you can't tell me his management didnt have this up their sleeve.

to put this in comparison, we've had wilkie on the rookie list for 3 years. not once did i ever think he would leave. he would have had good offers too!!!

they're pretty much f’ed trying to keep any crop of draftees together.

dew's lost a best 22 mid. he's cooked before the season has even begun.
What is this about them needing 180k in cap space?

What is this about them needing 180k in cap space?
The difference between the senior list and the rookie list and why clubs are doing this because every rookie can earn a certain amount that is outside the cap. From memory around 180k.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
The difference between the senior list and the rookie list and why clubs are doing this because every rookie can earn a certain amount that is outside the cap. From memory around 180k.
Gold Coast were going to redrafting him in the national draft. They had too many players contracted so without delisting then redrafting 2 players, they wouldnt have met the AFLs 3 player drafting requirement.

Gold Coast were going to redrafting him in the national draft. They had too many players contracted so without delisting then redrafting 2 players, they wouldnt have met the AFLs 3 player drafting requirement.

rookie draft i thought

if it is purely list selections, that is seriously *in bizarre, its even worse!

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is a real question, and not having a go at anyone, but when you discovered the Dunning Kruger effect, did you get any exposure to Cipolla’s Five Laws of Stupidity or Deidrich Bonhoeffer’s Theory of Stupidity?

It's a bizarre choice either way. They have a lot of no name, overpaid players who they could have used instead of one of their best mids.

i just cant get my head around it. if there's no salary cap pressure, they had all year to move those pieces around.

i just cant deal. fmd.

it's not even bad, its horrendous.

This is a real question, and not having a go at anyone, but when you discovered the Dunning Kruger effect, did you get any exposure to Cipolla’s Five Laws of Stupidity or Deidrich Bonhoeffer’s Theory of Stupidity?

Dunny has gone to Melbourne and Krueger has left Geelong for Collingwood. I'm not sure what effect that will have but you don't need 5 laws to eat a chipolata.

i just cant get my head around it. if there's no salary cap pressure, they had all year to move those pieces around.

i just cant deal. fmd.

it's not even bad, its horrendous.

Just quietly North are assembling a good list of guys who should have cost them a lot more. Stephenson for chump change and Greenwood for free are great signings.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
What an absolute shocker from Gold Coast. Their off-season has been beyond-words bad.

If that was the Saints I would legitimately cancel my membership. This is a club that desperately needs success too and needs to get things right. They've given away so many good players for free, also handed off pick 19 and probably would have gone about their whole trade period differently if they'd known they were losing Greenwood.

I heard an interview with their list-manager on the AFL draft podcast and thought he sounded incompetent. Looks like the vibe was real.

At least it means for now that no matter how bad we are there's another club that will no doubt be worse. Thank you Gold Coast.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Well I’ve been complaining that this loophole stinks and needs to be closed. Ironically North have benefited both ways with this scheme by placing a disastrous Polec contract on the rookie list and now taking Greenwood.
If you de-list a player their salary should be paid out and coke of the cap... imagine if Sydney tried this with Franklin all of a sudden after that insane contract.

Back