No Oppo Supporters 2021 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You and I never agree much in this area... and you probably know more about this than I do..

However, that said, I'm thinking we dodged a bullet with Titch in the long run. It was four years ago, and he would have helped enormously during those last four years, but, and it's a big but... he is not suited to our current game at all. Brilliant player in his own right, but I think the rule changes mean the new game style will not be played to his strengths...
He was the missing mid in the past few years to keep us in that 6-9 range but he wouldn't have been the difference to making a GF or not.

Long term, I think Ollie will suit this game style if we can keep it up

Spot on. I’d go as far as saying most of our trades/losses have been vindicated.

Letting go of someone the caliber of Hanners was huge but we got the best of him and the Saints got a shell of an AA player. I like Hannebery and wish he was a one club player but if we kept him who knows who else we lose.

Even Tom Mitchell. Yes he won a Brownlow but he’s one dimensional and he’s great if you’re looking to top up but he’s not as dynamic as any of our current young mids. That doesn’t mean we’d be worse off with him, but we’re fine without him and his inflated price tag.

I won’t lose sleep over Jones, AA, Murray or Newman.

All in all we came out the other end looking like a calculated team that knew what pieces it needed for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks great as we have started the season 3-0 (which nobody nobody would of predicted) there were times last season where Jones would of been handy and Hanners to a lesser extent.

Allir would still be useful i expect the midfield wont be able to sustain the maniac pressure we have produced 3 rounds in so the defence will have more work to do and Allir intercepting would be handy just has 1on1 limitations as a defender as we all know.

Weither its been by luck or very good future planning they all look like solid decisions.

I think we can all agree that our drafting and trading strategies have improved markedly in recent times. The last 2-3 post seasons in particular. Our focus is now heavily on skills but without neglecting the grit that Sydney players are known for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't been so excited about a player since Kelly.
Young Warner is the real thing.

Membrey will be a club great at the Saints by the time his career is over no doubt.

His best asset is his work rate IMO, in that he works so hard up the ground & then next minute he is taking a mark up forward shooting for goal. He has most likely benefited from playing alongside Riedwoldt & watching his work rate from up close. I'm not sure how he played against the Bombers the other night as I didn't watch the game but I'm sure he would have been one of their best. I have no doubt he also learned plenty while at the Swans.

"You can't have them all" Punts. That's what Mike Thatfatprick told us. :)
I still remember when the Swans drafted Membrey & the club stated they couldn’t believe how far he’d slid down the board.

Yet another Swans late-draft gem, but delisting him after two years was a clanger.

Still - we’ve got far more right than wrong over the past decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet another Swans late-draft gem, but delisting him after two years was a clanger.
What do you do: retire club legend Adam Goodes or sign a 1-gamer who wants opportunity?

That was the situation we found ourselves in when Membrey was out of contract

I am in the minority about Titch. I wish we had found a way to keep him.
I’m sure most people wish we had kept him .... and Membrey, Mumford, AA, etc.

But that said, I also think most people are thrilled with how things have ended up. The stars and the footy gods have aligned to create the next team of red and white champions.

I still remember when the Swans drafted Membrey & the club stated they couldn’t believe how far he’d slid down the board.

Still - we’ve got far more right than wrong over the past decade.
I thought Membry wanted to leave, Saints didn't offer enough, he wouldn't accept a deal and therefore we let him go as a delisted free agent.

The biggest error with trading Mitchell was getting stuff all back.

I have no issue with moving him on, but only getting a late first round pick and a late pick swap was bullshit and simply bending over for Hawthorn.

The biggest error with trading Mitchell was getting stuff all back.

I have no issue with moving him on, but only getting a late first round pick and a late pick swap was bullshit and simply bending over for Hawthorn.

Yer look at the price of Dunkley 2 top 10 picks.

*Edit not backing our system and taking Dunkley is a bigger error than trading Mitchell for pick 13

*Edit not backing our system and taking Dunkley is a bigger error than trading Mitchell for pick 13

I almost said Dunkley was the only regret I would have as a fan, but people get very matter of fact that it was never a chance to begin with.

He would have been an asset regardless, he either becomes the player we know but in red and white or we get our pick back (and possibly more) in a trade later on.

I almost said Dunkley was the only regret I would have as a fan, but people get very matter of fact that it was never a chance to begin with.

He would have been an asset regardless, he either becomes the player we know but in red and white or we get our pick back (and possibly more) in a trade later on.
Said it before. It would have been another Anthony Rocca situation. Glad we didn't waste our time.

If we matched the Dunkley bid we probably don’t get Dawson. Dawson has been handy for us so it wasn’t the end of the world stuff. Our system works.

Mitchell was out of contract, clubs always get reamed in those circumstances.

If we matched the Dunkley bid we probably don’t get Dawson. Dawson has been handy for us so it wasn’t the end of the world stuff. Our system works.

Mitchell was out of contract, clubs always get reamed in those circumstances.
100% that happens

Who? Tim Kelly? Never heard of him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back