No Oppo Supporters 2021 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This video from the NM v St Kilda practice match (~10 secs in), for me, highlights the potential major problem with the new man on the mark rule.
I'm less concerned about the man on the mark moving and much more that the play on call has to be immediate when the player with the ball moves off his line.

This video from the NM v St Kilda practice match (~10 secs in), for me, highlights the potential major problem with the new man on the mark rule.
I'm less concerned about the man on the mark moving and much more that the play on call has to be immediate when the player with the ball moves off his line.

Exactly what I said the other day. How often do we see our players called on the moment they look sideways yet the opposition seem to get an eternity to run off the line before we have them called play on. Just another way inconsistency in umpiring can creep into the game.

Its an absolute joke, make one of the most inconsistent umpiring areas even more so. The penalty should be 15 meters (a decent handball) not fifty if you infringe here

Its an absolute joke, make one of the most inconsistent umpiring areas even more so. The penalty should be 15 meters (a decent handball) not fifty if you infringe here
Correct . The only way a 50 should be paid is if someone is belted or taken out ater taking a mark , otherwise it should be 25

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bizarrely for a rule that was supposed to open up play Hocking is now seemingly suggesting the player on the mark can potentially move to a position to 'block' the corridor prior to the umpire calling "stand".

Hocking expects to see further strategies employed by the player on the mark during this week’s one-match pre-season competition.

“The player can actually decide to move slightly to an angle to take part of that kicking lane away if he wants to. So, there’s about two or three seconds for that to happen before the umpire calls stand,’’ he said.

For example, a player about to stand on the mark on the wing-boundary area could move laterally towards the central corridor for three seconds before the umpire commanded him to stand still.

“Then he is pinged to that position,’’ Hocking said.

One of the Swans was on the mark not moving and the GWS player had moved off his line but Nicholls was looking at another contest and didn't call play on so the Swans player just stood there asking when he could move.

Crazy decision against the natural movement of the body

I was getting sick of hearing every mouth piece for the AFL telling me how I will enjoy the way it opens up the game once fans get used to it.

Pffft

One of the Swans was on the mark not moving and the GWS player had moved off his line but Nicholls was looking at another contest and didn't call play on so the Swans player just stood there asking when he could move.

Crazy decision against the natural movement of the body

I was getting sick of hearing every mouth piece for the AFL telling me how I will enjoy the way it opens up the game once fans get used to it.

Pffft
Should hear that turd David King he's loving it , i thought he might have exploded over Gerard Whaterley this morning

I wish I could even have an opinion on the latest rule change but I've lost track of all the rule changes that have been implemented in recent years. I don't know which rule was created for what purpose. My granddad reckons he's seen more rule changes in the last 10 years than he'd seen in all of the 50 before them.

Bizarrely for a rule that was supposed to open up play Hocking is now seemingly suggesting the player on the mark can potentially move to a position to 'block' the corridor prior to the umpire calling "stand".

WTF, so the player can move wherever he likes until the ump says stand...jeebers, if it wasn't serious it would be feckin hilarious. Was this area that broken? I always thought the biggest issue was how it was being umpired, not any of the rules themselves. All this does is give us more fodder to be critical of the umpires about.

WTF, so the player can move wherever he likes until the ump says stand...jeebers, if it wasn't serious it would be feckin hilarious. Was this area that broken? I always thought the biggest issue was how it was being umpired, not any of the rules themselves. All this does is give us more fodder to be critical of the umpires about.
I think the major problem is Polo Boy's obsession with keeping the game moving, which ironically has led to more congestion and slower football.

How often do we here the umps call "he tried"or "the ball came loose"?
So instead of paying a free kick for incorrect disposal/holding the ball we have the ball on the ground, players like seagulls to a chip, a rolling maul, until ultimately the ump blows his whistle, a ball up and congestion.

Pay the initial free, the players stay outside the contest or break away from it and we we get a smoother freer flowing game.

I remember them changing a rule in the 90's so that if you went up for a speccie but didn't take it, it was a free to the player you made contact to. It stopped players attempting it and the speccie or hanger was dead. They changed it back the next year.

If they get a rule change wrong farking admit it and fix it.

Where did i say that ffs, don't twist my words
I said he's not good enough to give up Papley, Stephens, and McDonald, to which you replied, he is. I don't know what words I'm twisting.

I think the major problem is Polo Boy's obsession with keeping the game moving, which ironically has led to more congestion and slower football.

How often do we here the umps call "he tried"or "the ball came loose"?
So instead of paying a free kick for incorrect disposal/holding the ball we have the ball on the ground, players like seagulls to a chip, a rolling maul, until ultimately the ump blows his whistle, a ball up and congestion.

Pay the initial free, the players stay outside the contest or break away from it and we we get a smoother freer flowing game.
I agree HB. Incorrect disposal and holding the ball hardly ever happens anymore. If they were strict on this then you would get less rolling mauls and also more genuine correct disposal. Would free up the game and disperse the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back