No Oppo Supporters 2021 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Richard Hinds
I have absolutely no problem with young footballers accepting scholarships to private schools, nor with the families of others being enticed by the preordained success of scholarship holders to pay sometimes astronomical full fees.
You will have heard it ad nauseam during Friday Night Footy. It is more difficult to ignore than the giant billboards on Melbourne freeways extoling the sporting and scholastic excellence of expensive schools.
“Great goal from the Xavier College product!”; “Brilliant play by the Caulfield Grammar star!”; “This lad’s another one off the Haileybury College conveyor belt!”
Such references reflect a growing trend. The absorption of talented young players into the private school stream has created a two-tiered recruitment process in Victoria where the Associated Public School competition featuring the city’s wealthiest schools is rivalling the notionally more egalitarian NAB League Under-18 competition for attention.

As Jake Niall revealed in an excellent 2019 investigation in The Age, AFL scouts are now as often attracted to a game between Melbourne Grammar and Scotch College as one between the Northern Knights and the Calder Cannons.
As Niall reported, schools in Melbourne’s Associated Public Schools competition once ridiculed as the realm of “soft private school boys” now educate about 25 per cent of the entire AFL draft. Scholarships, “elite” programs and brand advertising are major drivers of this shift.

the role of community clubs is routinely ignored or taken for granted,

Fritsch gets off... that is an appauling decision.

He opted to fend with an elbow - that's reckless. The contact was high, the player was injured. What more is there to discuss?

This competition is getting more and more crooked every year.

Very weird decision. That said I'd rather players not being rubbed out for minor things anyway. I'd rather expand the fine system.

From Richard Hinds
I have absolutely no problem with young footballers accepting scholarships to private schools, nor with the families of others being enticed by the preordained success of scholarship holders to pay sometimes astronomical full fees.
You will have heard it ad nauseam during Friday Night Footy. It is more difficult to ignore than the giant billboards on Melbourne freeways extoling the sporting and scholastic excellence of expensive schools.
“Great goal from the Xavier College product!”; “Brilliant play by the Caulfield Grammar star!”; “This lad’s another one off the Haileybury College conveyor belt!”
Such references reflect a growing trend. The absorption of talented young players into the private school stream has created a two-tiered recruitment process in Victoria where the Associated Public School competition featuring the city’s wealthiest schools is rivalling the notionally more egalitarian NAB League Under-18 competition for attention.

As Jake Niall revealed in an excellent 2019 investigation in The Age, AFL scouts are now as often attracted to a game between Melbourne Grammar and Scotch College as one between the Northern Knights and the Calder Cannons.
As Niall reported, schools in Melbourne’s Associated Public Schools competition once ridiculed as the realm of “soft private school boys” now educate about 25 per cent of the entire AFL draft. Scholarships, “elite” programs and brand advertising are major drivers of this shift.

Union all over again. Might sound great now but turn the game into a private schools sport and you’ll alienate a lot of your target audience & participation

Very weird decision. That said I'd rather players not being rubbed out for minor things anyway. I'd rather expand the fine system.
I'd rather any knock to the head to an opposition player be penalised.
Is the fine system really a penalty to the players?
I'm a huge (and old) fan of the Brownlow medal being for the "fairest AND best".

I'm a huge (and old) fan of the Brownlow medal being for the "fairest AND best".

It is entertainment in the end. I'd rather the best players be on the field. Suspending them takes away from this. I know I'm alone though on this and that is fine. Suspend for major incidents, fine the rest. If they are 1 week suspensions, just fine them. 3 fines equals a week. Done.

From Richard Hinds

The AFL should create youth development into it's own entity operated outside of AFL HQ. The AFL is interested at making money at the top level so will continue to gut youth development and state leagues as these provide little benefit to them. A separate entity whose sole purpose is youth development would ensure this doesn't continue.

Alternately, increase the draft age to 21/22 and boost the state leagues, or create second tier youth comp. Let state level clubs have academies and they can fund the youth development for their own benefit

The AFL should create youth development into it's own entity operated outside of AFL HQ. The AFL is interested at making money at the top level so will continue to gut youth development and state leagues as these provide little benefit to them. A separate entity whose sole purpose is youth development would ensure this doesn't continue.

Alternately, increase the draft age to 21/22 and boost the state leagues, or create second tier youth comp. Let state level clubs have academies and they can fund the youth development for their own benefit

The state league clubs already have academies. They’re called zones.

From Richard Hinds

.. and subsidised by happy clapper ScumMo and the friends.

Your saying that as a supporter.
Head knocks are never good.

Look at Jacinda Barclay, never suffered a serious concussion, and already was experiencing the effects of the brain changing.

You watch you son or daughter go out there hoping that some other bloke doesn't put his arm up, becuase if he does your one step closer to losing your child.

The game will never be as important as the lives of the people that play it. Would prefer to see the game die than to see it actively ruin lives.

Your saying that as a supporter.
Head knocks are never good.

Look at Jacinda Barclay, never suffered a serious concussion, and already was experiencing the effects of the brain changing.

You watch you son or daughter go out there hoping that some other bloke doesn't put his arm up, becuase if he does your one step closer to losing your child.

The game will never be as important as the lives of the people that play it. Would prefer to see the game die than to see it actively ruin lives.
I totally agree.
I hate seeing any player get a knock to the head.
Any player's health is paramount.
I have no children, but I can empathise with you when watching your children play.

I was pleased to see a register is being maintained - this article mentions 30 day recovery rather than the current 12 day protocol.
Callum Mills is on the list with George Hewitt to be added.
I hope George is not selected this week, so he has at least a 2 week period to recover.

Jacinda Barclay is a such a terrible tragedy
for reference

Last edited:
From Richard Hinds

Happening, just look where the focus is right now with the NAB League taking a break. AFL has broken the pathway system in Vic and blamed Covid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happening, just look where the focus is right now with the NAB League taking a break. AFL has broken the pathway system in Vic and blamed Covid
They’re not braking it they’re privatising it. Long term goal will be the private school system to run footy in Victoria. And all the connections are there to make it happen. The link from the private schools to the commission is already in place via the private school boys club that runs the game.

Has anyone noticed just how many articles across all media are relating to Collingwood? Is anyone else sick of it??
Darcey Moore is in the media more than any other player!
Collingwoods Ex CEO is still having his say (a lot) and hanging around like a bad smell.

note: Darcey Morre is being paid for all these media appearances. Hes also in the Pies leadership group. Theres no way the Swans could match the pay packet he gets playing at Collingwood, so the only way he could become a Swan is if he wants to, and as hes in their leadership group, I doubt he wants to.

Has anyone noticed just how many articles across all media are relating to Collingwood? Is anyone else sick of it??
Darcey Moore is in the media more than any other player!
Collingwoods Ex CEO is still having his say (a lot) and hanging around like a bad smell.

note: Darcey Morre is being paid for all these media appearances. Hes also in the Pies leadership group. Theres no way the Swans could match the pay packet he gets playing at Collingwood, so the only way he could become a Swan is if he wants to, and as hes in their leadership group, I doubt he wants to.
Who said he wanted to !

Eagles with half their backline out - Hawks in for a chance at home?
Also depseratly want the Suns to beat Saints.
Eagles away, Hawks anywhere after last week - who would know. I'm just annoyed the showdown is on roughly the same time as Swans, so I don't get to see Port roll the Crows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back