For the game’s sake: Why Toby Greene’s season should be over
Jake Niall

Jake Niall
Chief football writer, The Age
August 30, 2021 — 7.36pm
Save
Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
Advertisement

The Toby Greene case isn’t really about Toby Greene.
Unlike the fend-off on Patrick Dangerfield’s throat a few weeks ago, the unsavoury Lachie Neale incident of the 2019 finals and the Marcus Bontempelli head shove that preceded it, there is no other party that has been bruised or injured by Greene’s excess.
Toby Greene and the umpire “bump” during the elimination final.
Thought it was going to be another article highlighting the fact we kicked 2.7 in the last quarter.

Balme staying at the Tiges , a few have egg on face
Damn those journos getting their"facts" from social media foiled again. What actually passes for journalism these days is embarrassing

What annoys me is the people in the AFL media absolutely love Toby Greene because he gives them an endless stream of content which they hope will generate clicks.

And you lot fall for it every damn time. Just don't even give him or the media the energy I say.

You're all like my granddad who buys special edition Dean Martin CDs for $39 when some informercial is flogging them, even after I've told him fifty times I can just make him a Spotify playlist for free!

Re earlier discussion about who we hope will win the Premiership now we are out -
* I hope the Brions find their mojo. Like Fagan, how they play and have a soft spot for Fitzroy
* Port - like Hinkley, players like Butters.

We were blessed to have the incomparable Norm Smith coach us for a short spell. He loved his time with us and said he was happier there than in his long stint at Melbourne (despite his phenomenal record there).

The Dees treated him in an appalling fashion and those of the superstitious persuasion believe Melbourne has been cursed since the events of 1965. Smith was 58 when he died but it is 57 years since Melbourne last won a Granny.

Would not mind then winning.

Appalled at the idea of another Brave Buliies/Umps win. No interest in a Cats or Giants win.

First comment on it but Greene is a ******g idiot and deserves at least 4 weeks. I hope it’s 6 or more. You just don’t do that and we all know he has a history.

I have to read on here all year about how incredible he is and how some wish he played for Sydney. A few people even saying they’d prefer him over Heeney when Heeney was in poor (not as good) form. Give me a spell!

The guy is a bloody dickhead. I don’t care how many goals he kicks I would never want him at Sydney, teaching our younger players that being an arrogant tool is ok as long as you’re good enough. The only good thing about the Giants winning a flag would be knowing that w***er threw his medal away just as he deserves.

Time for him to cop it and I couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First comment on it but Greene is a ******g idiot and deserves at least 4 weeks. I hope it’s 6 or more. You just don’t do that and we all know he has a history.

I have to read on here all year about how incredible he is and how some wish he played for Sydney. A few people even saying they’d prefer him over Heeney when Heeney was in poor (not as good) form. Give me a spell!

The guy is a bloody dickhead. I don’t care how many goals he kicks I would never want him at Sydney, teaching our younger players that being an arrogant tool is ok as long as you’re good enough. The only good thing about the Giants winning a flag would be knowing that w***er threw his medal away just as he deserves.

Time for him to cop it and I couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's pleaded not guilty . Amazing we can say dickhead and not s**t . A few years ago an ex mod gave me a holiday for calling someone a richard cranium !

Too much media surrounding this for them not to throw the book at him.

2 weeks would be seen as weak on the AFLs part. 4 weeks I'm guessing, and rightly so. Who knows they might even go with 6, given anything above 3 is what matters. Depends what sort of precedent they want to set... I'm thinking 4 weeks is probably the right balance.

If the AFL want to send a clear message, this is the time. Sure, a player misses out on a potential premiership, but he only has himself to blame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll get no more than a week.
I'll lean towards getting off with a suspended sentence.

yeah, i think there's every chance he'll get off lightly for this ... there's no doubt the afl will want him playing again if giants make a grand final ...
but they'll give him a week and there'll be a bunch of "reasons" it's not longer

The bloke is an absolute flog.

It's one thing to remonstrate with the umpire in the middle of play - whilst still unacceptable - but another thing entirely to petulantly charge towards one and bump them purely to display your insolence during a break.

Rubbed out of at least 2 finals in 3 years for non-footy bullshit. How do you look your coach and team mates in the eye?

Anyone who'd want him at our club has rocks in their head IMO.

This morning I was expecting just a fine

When I heard 6 weeks I was pretty happy

3 weeks sounds light. Had it not been finals you can expect it would have been longer
Feel that with or without Finals it should have been longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back