No Oppo Supporters 2021 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can someone please explain to me why Essendon's pre-season has started, when their season ended the same weekend as ours, one week before Hawthorn's is scheduled to start, who finished bottom four, while there's still no word on when ours starts...?
You saw them play last year? They have a lot of catching up to do.

I know the Suns will get whacked for this, but they'd obviously spoken to Greenwood, got his agreement to the move and now IMO he's done the 'dirty' on them.
Sure he's a professional footballer who has a right to look after himself, but can't say I like the way this has gone.

We don't know what the terms of that agreement he made with them were though. What it entailed, what the reasons given to Greenwood were. Did this mean they saw him as expendable enough relative to others to delist him? We just don't know.

All we do know is that they delisted the guy who just had the most tackles in the comp in a mostly lifeless team. Reckon he's well within his rights to say **** em.

We don't know what the terms of that agreement he made with them were though. What it entailed, what the reasons given to Greenwood were. Did this mean they saw him as expendable enough relative to others to delist him? We just don't know.

All we do know is that they delisted the guy who just had the most tackles in the comp in a mostly lifeless team. Reckon he's well within his rights to say **** em.
Would assume they went with a couple of older players, who would be less attractive to other teams, and who might be more amenable to the idea. It certainly didn't sound like Greenwood was upset about it. It was pretty clear they just didn't want to have to draft 3 kids, rather than him being expendable.

Would assume they went with a couple of older players, who would be less attractive to other teams, and who might be more amenable to the idea. It certainly didn't sound like Greenwood was upset about it. It was pretty clear they just didn't want to have to draft 3 kids, rather than him being expendable.

And that may be the case, but being cast as the older player who is less attractive to other teams would rightfully cast some doubts in Greenwood's mind about where he sits at the Suns.

It reminds me of on Survivor when they come up with a lie to put all the votes on one person, even though they're not really going to. Even if it is just a fabrication, no one wants to be the person whose name is being put out there to receive votes. It makes them nervous and uncertain, and it's usually a reflection of their place in the hierarchy.

And that may be the case, but being cast as the older player who is less attractive to other teams would rightfully cast some doubts in Greenwood's mind about where he sits at the Suns.

It reminds me of on Survivor when they come up with a lie to put all the votes on one person, even though they're not really going to. Even if it is just a fabrication, no one wants to be the person whose name is being put out there to receive votes. It makes them nervous and uncertain, and it's usually a reflection of their place in the hierarchy.
Eh if they brought it up and Greenwood gave them no indication of concerns, then left them, that's fairly low. I don't think it's an indication of their value on him, they might have thought he'd be one of the most likely to be on board with it, and less likely to waver.

Eh if they brought it up and Greenwood gave them no indication of concerns, then left them, that's fairly low. I don't think it's an indication of their value on him, they might have thought he'd be one of the most likely to be on board with it, and less likely to waver.

Maybe he was on board with it when he had no option but to be on board with it? Begrudgingly return to the club he feels slighted by in order to keep his AFL career alive. Then North presented itself as another option for him, so his circumstances changed. Why return to the club you feel slighted by when you could go somewhere else to a club who wants you badly enough to steal you from out from under the other club's nose?

Maybe he was on board with it when he had no option but to be on board with it? Begrudgingly return to the club he feels slighted by in order to keep his AFL career alive. Then North presented itself as another option for him, so his circumstances changed. Why return to the club you feel slighted by when you could go somewhere else to a club who wants you badly enough to steal you from out from under the other club's nose?
I'd have assumed they asked, not mandated it. Plus, if you're quietly unhappy, but going along with it, you probably don't come out so strongly publicly.

"Still On The Primary List. Still On The Same Contract. Still Been Medically Cleared To Train/Play For Over A Month. Still At The Suns. Still See Everyone Round 1."

“Was happy to cop the odd clickbait article & social nuff if it meant assisting the club’s overall list strategy.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd have assumed they asked, not mandated it. Plus, if you're quietly unhappy, but going along with it, you probably don't come out so strongly publicly.

"Still On The Primary List. Still On The Same Contract. Still Been Medically Cleared To Train/Play For Over A Month. Still At The Suns. Still See Everyone Round 1."

“Was happy to cop the odd clickbait article & social nuff if it meant assisting the club’s overall list strategy.”

If he was happy to go along with it, why would he have signed with North?

Clearly he preferred the idea of playing at North to playing at the Suns.

If he was happy to go along with it, why would he have signed with North?

Clearly he preferred the idea of playing at North to playing at the Suns.
Yeah but do you think they'd have actually delisted him if his reaction wasn't "Oh yeah, no worries. Happy to help." Certainly that sounds like the reaction he gave, since that's what he's portrayed publicly (i.e. the direct quotes I posted). If he wasn't happy, but told them he was and then takes a deal with North, that's him being deceptive.

Yeah but do you think they'd have actually delisted him if his reaction wasn't "Oh yeah, no worries. Happy to help." Certainly that sounds like the reaction he gave, since that's what he's portrayed publicly (i.e. the direct quotes I posted). If he wasn't happy, but told them he was and then takes a deal with North, that's him being deceptive.

What was he going to do? What other options did he have? Tell Gold Coast to go **** themselves for delisting him without knowing if any other team was interested in him?

It sounds to me like he did all the right things and was prepared to stay loyal to the Suns, despite obvious friction. Then a better option emerged and he took it.

No matter how hard the Suns try to spin it - with their "guaranteed re-listing at the draft" BS - they delisted a player in the midst of the delisted free agency window, thereby leaving the door open for rival clubs to express interest and present options to Greenwood, and for Greenwood to explore them. You don't do that with a player you consider an absolute necessity.

Would we have done that with Parker? Mills? Buddy? Heeney? Papley? Absolutely not. Could I see us doing it with a McLean, or a Fox, or a Stephens? Possibly. Because let's face it, all players are at different levels of expendability. Gold Coast made it clear to Greenwood what level they considered him to be. By doing so they did the deceiving before Greenwood did, essentially making the first move towards fracturing the relationship between player and club.

Guessing the approach from North surprised him. Too good to pass up.
If not then both he and North are very devious.

What was he going to do? What other options did he have? Tell Gold Coast to go **** themselves for delisting him without knowing if any other team was interested in him?

It sounds to me like he did all the right things and was prepared to stay loyal to the Suns, despite obvious friction. Then a better option emerged and he took it.

No matter how hard the Suns try to spin it - with their "guaranteed re-listing at the draft" BS - they delisted a player in the midst of the delisted free agency window, thereby leaving the door open for rival clubs to express interest and present options to Greenwood, and for Greenwood to explore them. You don't do that with a player you consider an absolute necessity.

Would we have done that with Parker? Mills? Buddy? Heeney? Papley? Absolutely not. Could I see us doing it with a McLean, or a Fox, or a Stephens? Possibly. Because let's face it, all players are at different levels of expendability. Gold Coast made it clear to Greenwood what level they considered him to be. By doing so they did the deceiving before Greenwood did, essentially making the first move towards fracturing the relationship between player and club.
I think if he wasn't happy with being delisted and redrafted, he should have been honest and they'd probably have found someone else. He wasn't delisted and only then the club told him why. Rather than, by what his public statements have been, saying that he was fine with it, anything to help the club out, nothing changes etc.

I don't know what "obvious friction" you're talking about? It really sounds like GC and Greenwood sat down, GC laid out what they wanted to do, Greenwood said he was fine with it to the club, and to the public. Then he's done an about face and screwed them over.

I think if he wasn't happy with being delisted and redrafted, he should have been honest and they'd probably have found someone else. He wasn't delisted and only then the club told him why. Rather than, by what his public statements have been, saying that he was fine with it, anything to help the club out, nothing changes etc.

I don't know what "obvious friction" you're talking about? It really sounds like GC and Greenwood sat down, GC laid out what they wanted to do, Greenwood said he was fine with it to the club, and to the public. Then he's done an about face and screwed them over.

Your last sentence is the "obvious friction" I'm talking about.

If I am understanding yours and others gripe with Greenwood, it is one of the following:

A) At the time of his delisting when the Gold Coast Suns were his only option for a playing career, and that club was receiving scrutiny for delisting him, he shouldn't have posted a tweet clarifying the situation and assuaging the scrutiny?

Or B) That once he had posted that tweet, he had declared his allegiance to the Gold Coast Suns and should therefore have allowed that tweet to dictate his career and the future for him and his family?

Both are mad, in my opinion.

I still get the feeling there is salary cap issues sitting somewhere in the background. It would certainly help the 'overall list strategy' to free up 400k a year.

They'll nedd to re-sign King & co really quickly to cover this one up

Greenwood is one of the sloppiest inside mids around. Pure effort player with no skill imo.

Handy, but getting rid of Lyons for nothing was way worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back