No Oppo Supporters 2021 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
“I guess the lower I’m picked, the better it is for the club so that’s where my head is at.”

Daicos says after bemoaning only potentially being a top 2-4 player.

At the end of the day though it's hardly his fault. He's a product of a system that's becoming increasingly prone to over-hyping the draft. He's got professional AFL photographers doing shoots purely for him, 40,000 followers on Instagram, a Swysh account where he's paid $70 to give fan shout-outs. All before he's even been drafted.
It why I am starting to really dislike the draft. The straw that goes close to breaking the camel's back is some clown on Draft Central tweeting about the under 12 schoolboys' trial game a few weeks ago. Just ridiculous. There is no way Daicos could not have an ego, he has been on the Pies list for the last 2 years unofficially, training with them for quite a large slice of that. He is doing well to keep it all as together as he has.

It why I am starting to really dislike the draft. The straw that goes close to breaking the camel's back is some clown on Draft Central tweeting about the under 12 schoolboys' trial game a few weeks ago. Just ridiculous. There is no way Daicos could not have an ego, he has been on the Pies list for the last 2 years unofficially, training with them for quite a large slice of that. He is doing well to keep it all as together as he has.

Let me guess... were these schoolboys in the trial game from private schools by any chance?

A solid self-belief is necessary to produce one's best in any sport but getting miffed because a club won't waste time on you because you already have a 4 year contract is beyond ridiculous. More like a 14 year old than a young man. Perfect for the Pies.
His dad is a very humble person then and now .

Let me guess... were these schoolboys in the trial game from private schools by any chance?
Bingo, actually true fact, with the u12 SSV football, a number of players don't play as their families cannot afford to costs involved with the interstate travel.

His dad is a very humble person then and now .
His Dad is a good bloke, has contributed to junior coaching was coaching the Kew Rovers and always had a word for the opposition players when we played them. They did have a pretty decent side back then, I think Nick took out the leagues B and F as a fourteen yo playing in the u15s that season.

Just to double down on how the draft is being absolutely hijacked these days, Paul Connors Management is holding a pre-draft party tonight for draftees (presumable all those in his stable) and a full media event is underway.

Just to double down on how the draft is being absolutely hijacked these days, Paul Connors Management is holding a pre-draft party tonight for draftees (presumable all those in his stable) and a full media event is underway.
Keeping his new clients happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might just be one of the biggest footy journo blunders I've ever seen

View attachment 1291330
Sorry I must be missing something.

The West Australian is reporting the same news.
West Coast defender Brad Sheppard’s gutsy 216-game career appears over, with a significant payout from the club likely to pave the way for an imminent retirement announcement.
Sheppard is believed to have received medical advice that he should not attempt to continue his career, after concussion symptoms lingered following repeated head knocks last season.

The West Australian understands there has been extensive negotiation between the club and the defender’s management regarding contractual and legal issues surrounding his departure. Sheppard was contracted for two more seasons after signing an extension for 2023 earlier this year.
West Coast’s senior players will return to training on Monday. The Eagles are likely to be able to replace Sheppard during the pre-season supplemental selection period, though they are well-stocked for small-medium defensive options.

Sorry I must be missing something.

The West Australian is reporting the same news.

Published an hour after Lachy Reid had already broke the news on Twitter. And in doing so, kindly let Sheppard's teammates know that Sheppard's going to let them know that he's going to retire on Monday.

Think that's really poor form. Bloke deserves to let his team mates know before the rest.
Poor form from the team exec who leaked it?

Journo is doing his job

It is dogshit that anyone other than the Swans are being considered for the opening game of the 2022 season. I know every clubs fans have a "what about us" mentality, but in this case, given we're touted to be facing the Giants, not a single club has a greater claim for a season-opener than we do.

Unless any of the others will be:
- Playing in an elimination final rematch
- Against their rivals in a derby
- With a player potentially going to kick his 1,000th goal.

It is dogshit that anyone other than the Swans are being considered for the opening game of the 2022 season. I know every clubs fans have a "what about us" mentality, but in this case, given we're touted to be facing the Giants, not a single club has a greater claim for a season-opener than we do.

Unless any of the others will be:
- Playing in an elimination final rematch
- Against their rivals in a derby
- With a player potentially going to kick his 1,000th goal.
Now, now Ceez, my innocent yet foolish friend... We already know "you can't have everyone" & I'm sure that extends to events too... And why would the AFL not want to promote something more "traditional" that will instantly have the "support" of the majority of "AFL fans"? Say a North Melb Friday night blockbuster? Or a classic battle of the sashes (Tigers/Dons)? The pies are always good for a massive turnout given their massive supporter base right? And you wouldn't want to miss any of the turn around in the old navys fortunes now would you?

We'll get the eyeballs on TV thanks to a strong, spread out, national support... so a prime mid Sunday arvo spot sounds perfect! No advertising needed. No pump up. Just chuck us in a "dead spot" & let natural interest do it's thing... The AFL have been doing it for decades now, why change it?

Now, now Ceez, my innocent yet foolish friend... We already know "you can't have everyone" & I'm sure that extends to events too... And why would the AFL not want to promote something more "traditional" that will instantly have the "support" of the majority of "AFL fans"? Say a North Melb Friday night blockbuster? Or a classic battle of the sashes (Tigers/Dons)? The pies are always good for a massive turnout given their massive supporter base right? And you wouldn't want to miss any of the turn around in the old navys fortunes now would you?

We'll get the eyeballs on TV thanks to a strong, spread out, national support... so a prime mid Sunday arvo spot sounds perfect! No advertising needed. No pump up. Just chuck us in a "dead spot" & let natural interest do it's thing... The AFL have been doing it for decades now, why change it?

You are right. I am curious about what our Club are asking for.

Unhappily a lot of our Sydney based fans have raised difficulties with getting to and from night games at the SCG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back