Discussion 2021 Help / General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Curious to see how long posters have been playing Dreamteam/Supercoach/Fantasy AFL overall?

My first time was 1994 and have a feeling it was the 2nd year it was run. Had to fill out a paper coupon in The Age to post in (!) and players were given a ranking of 1-10 and there was a certain overall value for the team (same as today but not in dollar terms). I remember the only 10 rated player I had that year was Tony Modra and after a big pre-season comp - Glenn Manton was the flavour of the month.

I can't remember for sure how injuries were dealt with but have a feeling that if a player was injured - that was it and you simply lost points. Finished mid-table that year but have never missed a year since.

Ingy

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
DT since the late 90s.

I remember getting Mark and Jason Johnson from the Bombers as bottom-priced rookies.

Wayne Carey in his Adelaide Crows days.

In those days you got the highest of your emergency scores, not the lowest, so you'd intentionally play a donut on the field and have three inconsistent blokes play as emergencies.

I've only been playing Supercoach for about five years which is why I am still so scheiza at it

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
Curious to see how long posters have been playing Dreamteam/Supercoach/Fantasy AFL overall?

My first time was 1994 and have a feeling it was the 2nd year it was run. Had to fill out a paper coupon in The Age to post in (!) and players were given a ranking of 1-10 and there was a certain overall value for the team (same as today but not in dollar terms). I remember the only 10 rated player I had that year was Tony Modra and after a big pre-season comp - Glenn Manton was the flavour of the month.

I can't remember for sure how injuries were dealt with but have a feeling that if a player was injured - that was it and you simply lost points. Finished mid-table that year but have never missed a year since.
Since DT first started in the early 90s. As you said it was run in The Age before later switching to The Australian. I remember driving to Melbourne to post the coupons at the GPO to ensure the entries got in on time that first year. I had no idea what I was doing of course and did obvious things like including SOS as a backman because of his reputation not realising that his role was terrible for scoring.

They gave you a couple of emergencies on each line to cover injuries but there were no weekly trades. In the middle of the season there was a one-off trade week when you could exchange up to 3 injured players for fit ones of the same total rating.

By the second year I got more serious. There was nothing online to help, (was there even an Internet yet?), so I saved the stats sheets from Monday's Herald-Sun for each week of the previous year and put together stats showing who the top players really were. Of course all that info is so easily available now. It was a lot of work back then but it sort of paid off when I managed 6 straight top 100 finishes, which included 4 top 50 finishes including a 12th followed by an 18th. I led for the middle 7 weeks of the year when I finished 18th.

Switched to SC a couple of years after it started and have only played SC since. Haven't managed anything like the same success here. There's so much information out there now it's hard to gain an edge. Teams are similar and it really comes down to how you trade. Unfortunately that's not my strength.

Oct 17, 2017
Puppies
AFL Club
West Coast
Played Fantasy AFL in 2013, came to Super Coach in 2014.

Was told it was a better game so I played Super Coach instead and got know and met all these mad, funny, drunken, informative, quirky and talented campaigners and was hooked.

In the old days toxic vs @Gingy fights where awesome, two great sloggers at it like Ali and Frazier, these guys use to hand out player info and would break down your team, gave out some good advice.
thx kents

Now I like the game day fred the best, full of banter from like minded P155ed and funny kents that don't take things too seriously.

Have met some top kents around these boards and PM's that I would consider as like minded mates.
(fellow puppy lovers)

Best board on BF by a long way. :thumbsu:

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne

Wow that's going right back. I had no idea that SC even existed in 1994 probably because I didn't read the Age lol. I started playing SC around the time that DT/AF changed to 44 trades and I lost interest in that. 2012-13? I was playing DT for about 5 years before that. Back to playing all 3 formats again though. My rankings in all 3 games improved after I stopped caring about league wins and started focusing on overall. Had some good results in all formats over the last few years without really being in contention. Reckon I have a top10 finish in me though.

Apr 5, 2014
Peramangk country Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
My SuperCoach team

Been playing SC since 2015 and played DT for a few years before that. I remember one of my early DT years I had no idea about rookies and cash generation and had no idea what I was doing or what/who I should trade. I hope to think I've improved a bit since then :think:

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Wondering at what point SuperCoach leagues get filled with randoms if they haven't got the full 18 players in them.

Is it at first bounce of round 1 or first bounce round 3 (when league match-ups start)
pretty sure it depends on what round the league starts

Apr 5, 2014
Peramangk country Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
My SuperCoach team
pretty sure it depends on what round the league starts
It says this on the league settings, so you'd think it would be the start of R3?

Capture.JPG

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

My ex GF bro got me onto Dreamteam back in 2003/4 before AFL fantasy was a thing. I followed it to the real dreamteam and played it full on but also played Fantasy and SC as well but hardly bothered to manage the teams.
Once the real dream team died and AFL Fantasy took over I got board and moved full time to SC.
And Ive been sucking ever since *

*except one year when i finished 2400ish which was just in the top 1% that year :drunk:

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
It says this on the league settings, so you'd think it would be the start of R3?

View attachment 1052821
Yeah teams with finalised squads of 30 at the end of round 2 fill leagues starting round 3
Leagues starting round 1 get filled before the bounce of the richmond v carlton game round 1

Not 100% sure but pretty sure thats how it works each year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back